Acceptable to ask for time off from SA? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Acceptable to ask for time off from SA?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:15 pm

To attend my sister's high school graduation across the country? It's on on a Friday, so I would need to leave Thursday night/Friday morning and miss one day of work. Acceptable to ask for one day off?

Thanks.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Re: Acceptable to ask for time off from SA?

Post by TLSModBot » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:16 pm

Yeah it's probably fine if you ask in advance, communicate with people you're working with so they know you'll be out, and get your work done before leaving if there are any deadlines that weekend.

didntretake

New

Post by didntretake » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:35 am

Our program specifically allowed for one day, which was nice. Ask HR. They shouldn't care that you are asking.

lurklaw

Silver

Post by lurklaw » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:40 am

It's probably fine to ask for a day off, provided that you follow the advice of the other posters ITT, but you should consider telling the firm that it's your sister's wedding instead.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:54 am

lurklaw wrote:It's probably fine to ask for a day off, provided that you follow the advice of the other posters ITT, but you should consider telling the firm that it's your sister's wedding instead.
This seems like a poor idea. What if folks ask questions about the wedding and/or want to see pictures? What if pics of him at the graduation show up on facebook? Even if he's not friends with associates, you'll most likely be friends with other summers.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Paul Campos

Silver

Post by Paul Campos » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:55 am

It's probably fine to ask for a day off, provided that you follow the advice of the other posters ITT, but you should consider telling the firm that it's your sister's wedding instead.
Why is an undergrad being allowed to give (incredibly stupid) advice in the employment forum?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:28 am

I had asked my boss at an internship this question before my SA and he told me basically this (he was partner at firm before he went inhouse).

Unless your mentor/summer coordinator person let's you know that it is ok to take a day or two off, don't ask for it. His philosophy was that given it is only 8-10 weeks, some people might not like SAs asking for time off during that short timeframe. BUT, that was just his view, and I've never heard of it being an actual problem. During my SAs my coordinator in the first few days told us it was fine to take a day off with advance notice, so it was never an issue.

I took an extra day off around the 4th of July with no problem. Almost half of the office was gone anyway on vacation so no one minded.

lurklaw

Silver

Post by lurklaw » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:10 pm

emkay625 wrote:
lurklaw wrote:It's probably fine to ask for a day off, provided that you follow the advice of the other posters ITT, but you should consider telling the firm that it's your sister's wedding instead.
This seems like a poor idea. What if folks ask questions about the wedding and/or want to see pictures? What if pics of him at the graduation show up on facebook? Even if he's not friends with associates, you'll most likely be friends with other summers.
Easy. You answer the questions because you've been expecting them. "Sorry, no pictures--I accidentally left my phone in my hotel room before the reception." And I'm assuming that OP has rid himself of facebook like any good SA should.

The point is that OP's sister's HS graduation is not an event that folks in biglaw universally will consider important. If one curmudgeon partner happens to think OP is skipping work for the wrong reasons, then it could become an issue for OP.

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:22 pm

This is truly truly a terribly dumb idea

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lurklaw

Silver

Post by lurklaw » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:35 pm

acr wrote:
This is truly truly a terribly dumb idea
acr wrote:Full-disclaimer: I'm a WUSTL 1L but I can help answer this question.

I targeted Des Moines for this summer. I'm from the area originally, still have family there, went to Iowa for undergrad, and have extensive work experience in the Des Moines market.

I did well at WUSTL 1st semester, but not great (Top 20%). I was denied for a 1L SA at all of the noteworthy firms in Des Moines, and had a few callbacks here and there.

I got an offer from the Iowa AG but decided to do PI in Chicago this summer instead. Unless you have ties to Des Moines, do exceptionally well first semester, and are diverse, I would not count on landing a firm or anything competitive in Des Moines. Despite being reassured by my CSO and people in the Des Moines legal market that I would land something, I found it exceedingly difficult. It's an incredibly small legal market and the largest firm there hired less than 10 summer associates last year. And it's not exactly a robust PI market.

Also, the US Attorney's Office for SDIA (which is in Des Moines) has a weird hiring process as well. By the time I even looked at their page to apply it was too late.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:06 pm

lurklaw wrote:
emkay625 wrote:
Easy. You answer the questions because you've been expecting them. "Sorry, no pictures--I accidentally left my phone in my hotel room before the reception." And I'm assuming that OP has rid himself of facebook like any good SA should.

The point is that OP's sister's HS graduation is not an event that folks in biglaw universally will consider important. If one curmudgeon partner happens to think OP is skipping work for the wrong reasons, then it could become an issue for OP.
It's terrible advice. A family event is definitely something that any sane, rational human being can understand asking for a day off to attend. If partners at the OPs firm aren't sane and rational to that extent, then they'll find something else to get upset about.

But to lie about where you're going is a terrible idea in all facets.

totesTheGoat

Silver

Post by totesTheGoat » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:09 pm

This thread has great potential. I wish I had a popcorn emoji to put here.

lurklaw

Silver

Post by lurklaw » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:23 pm

kalvano wrote:
lurklaw wrote:
emkay625 wrote:

It's terrible advice. A family event is definitely something that any sane, rational human being can understand asking for a day off to attend. If partners at the OPs firm aren't sane and rational to that extent, then they'll find something else to get upset about.

But to lie about where you're going is a terrible idea in all facets.
Sane and rational. Like someone who would no offer an SA for not wearing proper boating footwear?

OP, if you don't want to tell the firm it's your sister's wedding, then my advice: don't go at all.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:00 pm

lurklaw wrote:Sane and rational. Like someone who would no offer an SA for not wearing proper boating footwear?

OP, if you don't want to tell the firm it's your sister's wedding, then my advice: don't go at all.
Thanks for proving my point - if a partner is an ass and doesn't like you, they'll find something to justify it.

Your advice is terrible. There is literally no possible reason to lie about this. There is zero benefit and quite a lot of potential drawbacks.

lawhopeful10

Silver

Post by lawhopeful10 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:06 pm

I was an SA at a 20 person or so firm so my experience might be a little different but when I asked off for a day all I said was in an email "I have to be in X state this weekend. I was going to try and get a head start on the weekend and take off Friday. If there is anything that requires me to be in the office that day just let me know." The only responses I got back were have a good weekend. You could go with something similar to that.

Edit: I also agree lying is a bad idea. I was taking off for a bachelor party so it made sense to just not mention the reason but I doubt I would have lied about it.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:23 pm

lurklaw wrote:
emkay625 wrote:

You're expecting this person to concoct a full fake story about this wedding? Invent a groom, invent a love story for the couple, get all the wedding details down in his head (food, flowers, dress, type of ceremony, music at reception, where are they honeymooning, etc.). Also he'd basically have to invent a fake sibling because it's unlikely his 18-year old sister would be getting married. Then this fake sibling would have to stay with him forever if he accepted employment at this firm.

Also, he would have zero pictures of his sister's wedding? That's a bunch of baloney. Even if he didn't take any, mom/dad/aunt/uncle/cousins/friends would have taken some.

Do not do this OP.

Mr. Peanutbutter

Diamond

Post by Mr. Peanutbutter » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:30 pm

Ask like an adult and they'll either say yes or no, and no one will care.

Concoct a fake wedding as a cover, and you'll be remembered as that weirdo who lied for no reason about something no one cares about.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lurklaw

Silver

Post by lurklaw » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:06 pm

Mlk&Ckies wrote:Ask like an adult and they'll either say yes or no, and no one will care.

Concoct a fake wedding as a cover, and you'll be remembered as that weirdo who lied for no reason about something no one cares about.
Only if you get caught.

Glasseyes

Silver

Post by Glasseyes » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:21 pm

lurklaw wrote:
Mlk&Ckies wrote:Ask like an adult and they'll either say yes or no, and no one will care.

Only if you get caught.
Your lie strategy isn't even logically sound. The kid sister can literally only graduate high school once, but she'll get married AT LEAST twice, like any normal person.

Don't listen to the pathological weirdo, OP.

Avian

Bronze

Post by Avian » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:19 pm

Paul Campos wrote:
Why is an undergrad being allowed to give (incredibly stupid) advice in the employment forum?
This. OP, if you haven't figured it out yet, Lurklaw is an undergrad who has absolutely zero idea what he is talking about and were I not to give him the benefit of doubt about his ignorance, I would conclude that he is intentionally trying to lead you astray for his own amusement. The correct answer is yes, it is absolutely fine to ask and most likely they will say yes and no one will care.

lurklaw

Silver

Post by lurklaw » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:24 pm

Glasseyes wrote:
lurklaw wrote:

Only if you get caught.
Your lie strategy isn't even logically sound. The kid sister can literally only graduate high school once, but she'll get married AT LEAST twice, like any normal person.

Don't listen to the pathological weirdo, OP.
:lol:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lurklaw

Silver

Post by lurklaw » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:26 pm

Avian wrote:
Paul Campos wrote:
This. OP, if you haven't figured it out yet, Lurklaw is an undergrad who has absolutely zero idea what he is talking about and were I not to give him the benefit of doubt about his ignorance, I would conclude that he is intentionally trying to lead you astray for his own amusement. The correct answer is yes, it is absolutely fine to ask and most likely they will say yes and no one will care.
I'm a lawyer, bro.

Avian

Bronze

Post by Avian » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:34 pm

lurklaw wrote:
Avian wrote:
Paul Campos wrote:
I'm a lawyer, bro.
Then you really have no excuse for the awful advice except that I now suspect you are trolling. Again, OP please heed the proper advice from multiple people in this thread.

lurklaw

Silver

Post by lurklaw » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:54 pm

Avian wrote:
lurklaw wrote:
Avian wrote:
Paul Campos wrote:
I'm a lawyer, bro.
Then you really have no excuse for the awful advice except that I now suspect you are trolling. Again, OP please heed the proper advice from multiple people in this thread.
Would you have asked to skip work during your SA to attend your sister's HS graduation?

Avian

Bronze

Post by Avian » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:12 pm

lurklaw wrote:
Avian wrote:
lurklaw wrote:
Avian wrote:
Paul Campos wrote:
I'm a lawyer, bro.
Would you have asked to skip work during your SA to attend your sister's HS graduation?
Yes, and more to the point, I know people who did do this and it was absolutely fine.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”