Are in-house counsel screwed after acquisitions? Bad to ask? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Are in-house counsel screwed after acquisitions? Bad to ask?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:37 pm

Hey guys, looking for some specific advice but also general knowledge.

Worked with a F1000 company before law school and made a lot of friends there. I always pictured that if I burn out at my firm (a renowned sweatshop), I can try to make a play to work at my old employer as in-house counsel. Well I just found out the my old company was acquired in an LBO. Would it be awkward to ask my contacts in the legal department how everything's going over there? Like, should I even e-mail them at the company e-mail?

TL;DR - Are in-house counsel typically screwed after an acquisition? I'm thinking of reaching out to contacts at a large company that was just acquired, but am worried that everything's a sensitive subject with them now.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Re: Are in-house counsel screwed after acquisitions? Bad to ask?

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:42 pm

You probably shouldn't cold email them at work and ask if they're getting canned, but I don't see anything wrong with checking in and trying to get coffee or something and then asking more indirectly. This seems more like how you ought to be working these connections to get a job, anyway.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:13 am

OP here.

Yeah, good call. I'm almost tempted just to ask how they're adjusting to their new owners, but there's probably a good chance there's issues there too

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys, looking for some specific advice but also general knowledge.

Worked with a F1000 company before law school and made a lot of friends there. I always pictured that if I burn out at my firm (a renowned sweatshop), I can try to make a play to work at my old employer as in-house counsel. Well I just found out the my old company was acquired in an LBO. Would it be awkward to ask my contacts in the legal department how everything's going over there? Like, should I even e-mail them at the company e-mail?

TL;DR - Are in-house counsel typically screwed after an acquisition? I'm thinking of reaching out to contacts at a large company that was just acquired, but am worried that everything's a sensitive subject with them now.
I used to do m&a on the iBanking side. Most likely they're doing some housecleaning but who knows. As the above user said, ask them out for coffee and pick their brain. It'll come up. Don't ask openly, but inquire how the transition is going.

nealric

Post by nealric » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys, looking for some specific advice but also general knowledge.

Like any position after a corporate acquisition, it really depends on the acquirer and the plans thereof. Senior attorneys may get change of controls that would provide a nice payday if they get canned in an acquisition. If you are in a region with a lot of corporate headquarters, you probably know a lot of other people in the industry and can usually leverage that into a new position provided you aren't in the midst of a major downturn.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”