Kirkland Bonuses? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Kirkland Bonuses?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:12 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:25 am
The firm had a down year. People are being too harsh on K&E.

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/business- ... -law-firms
they seriously need to raise bonuses, 1.1-1.3x is a joke.
Kirkland's journey suggests that this is never going to happen. As an associate you were beating market much more proportionally when the firm was bringing in $500m in revenue back in the 90s and they viewed you as the next class of actual partners to continue the business of the firm and wanted to get you wrapped into the culture vs. now at $6b in revenue when you're seen as a replaceable cog in an unfeeling machine. I guess it's rational in a sort of way? Your average K&E associate in 2022 has 0 shot of becoming an equity partner (vs. the decent shot their equivalent would have had in 1992), so why even pretend to compensate them like they're a future part of the partnership vs. a temporary revenue source.

Prediction: This is never going to go back to where it was. The average multiplier is going to settle at around a 1.1-1.2x, just enough to save face and continue to claim "beat the market compensation" (it'll be subject to this new 2,000 hours requirement that never existed before) and that's the end of it. The K&E associate culture of 1996 or whatever is gone and has been for a while. I suspect even the moaning and groaning that we see ITT will stop pretty soon since the memory of those days is fading and there aren't many (non-SPs) even left around at the firm who can genuinely say they saw what it was like back in the day.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:12 pm

Sackboy wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:40 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:04 pm
Are people under the impression that at other firms you get equity at 8 years? Aside from like Cravath I think pretty much all firms do NSP these days, with equity much later if at all.
I'd say 10-12 years is a pretty typical path these days. 8 years as an associate 2-4 years as a counsel and then equity.
8 years to equity still possible at multiple V10s

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:59 am

unlicensedpotato wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:16 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

lol only took them 9x the deals and probably at least 10x the lawyers to pass WLRK
Ignorant take. Public M&A very different from private M&A.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:30 am

Sackboy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Are people under the impression that at other firms you get equity at 8 years? Aside from like Cravath I think pretty much all firms do NSP these days, with equity much later if at all.
I'd say 10-12 years is a pretty typical path these days. 8 years as an associate 2-4 years as a counsel and then equity.
is this true for firms like STB/DPW/debevoise as well? Took a look at STB's new cohort of partners this year and several of them got promoted to partnership at year 7 or 8. Since the firms do not hire laterals that much, does this mean if you toughen it out long enough, you will get your shot?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:30 am
Sackboy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
is this true for firms like STB/DPW/debevoise as well? Took a look at STB's new cohort of partners this year and several of them got promoted to partnership at year 7 or 8. Since the firms do not hire laterals that much, does this mean if you toughen it out long enough, you will get your shot?
I believe the “7th years” promoted were JD-MBAs so actually treated as 8th years, for what it’s worth. But I would trust promotions directly from associate at 8th year more seriously than counsel who were promoted after 10 years as counsel; the latter are probably still the same thing as they were just now with a non-equity partner title.

Looking at STB in particular, you can tell a narrative in the 8th year promotions: Funds, which has had incredible growth, has the lion’s share, then a smattering scattered elsewhere.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:11 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:30 am
Sackboy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I believe the “7th years” promoted were JD-MBAs so actually treated as 8th years, for what it’s worth. But I would trust promotions directly from associate at 8th year more seriously than counsel who were promoted after 10 years as counsel; the latter are probably still the same thing as they were just now with a non-equity partner title.

Looking at STB in particular, you can tell a narrative in the 8th year promotions: Funds, which has had incredible growth, has the lion’s share, then a smattering scattered elsewhere.
Sorry to bust your bubbles but these are non-equity partners at STB. They quietly created the non-equity tier a couple years ago.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:19 am

Slightly off-topic. At the firms with equity partnership only (SC, Skadden, DPW, PW, Willkie) how much comp can you expect in your first partner years after being promoted internally with no significant book?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:46 pm

unlicensedpotato wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:16 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

lol only took them 9x the deals and probably at least 10x the lawyers to pass WLRK
ok? lol tf

GermanLawyer

New

Post by GermanLawyer » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:32 am

Re firms that still have only Equity Partners and are non-lockstep (S&C, PW, Skadden): what is the comp there for a Junior Partner after being promoted internally?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:07 pm

GermanLawyer wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:32 am
Re firms that still have only Equity Partners and are non-lockstep (S&C, PW, Skadden): what is the comp there for a Junior Partner after being promoted internally?
To bring it back on topic, I can roughly answer this for Kirkland even though it doesn't fit your paradigm since they have a non-equity tier. With the new "half equity" step Ballis announced in December, your first year of "equity" you make $1.5m, reportedly. Then in your second year you get your full grant of shares. Not sure how much variance there is in what newly promoted equity partners get but the value of a MINIMUM grant of shares has been over $2m for some time and I wouldn't be surprised if it's near $2.5m now. Not sure how much buy-in is here--would love for someone w/ some knowledge of that to chime in; my guess is the firm has some sort of arrangement they've made with Private Bank or else internally to allow you to pay the buy-in over time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:07 pm
GermanLawyer wrote:
To bring it back on topic, I can roughly answer this for Kirkland even though it doesn't fit your paradigm since they have a non-equity tier. With the new "half equity" step Ballis announced in December, your first year of "equity" you make $1.5m, reportedly. Then in your second year you get your full grant of shares. Not sure how much variance there is in what newly promoted equity partners get but the value of a MINIMUM grant of shares has been over $2m for some time and I wouldn't be surprised if it's near $2.5m now. Not sure how much buy-in is here--would love for someone w/ some knowledge of that to chime in; my guess is the firm has some sort of arrangement they've made with Private Bank or else internally to allow you to pay the buy-in over time.
This is mostly wrong, and it's clear from the end of the comment that it's hearsay. Good example of why it's inadmissible.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:25 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
GermanLawyer wrote:
This is mostly wrong, and it's clear from the end of the comment that it's hearsay. Good example of why it's inadmissible.
I’m the anon you’re quoting and my response is: Put up or shut up? My info comes from friends here who have gone NSP to SP and from lateral NSPs who wanted info on the path to shares before agreeing to come over. My post makes it pretty obvious I’m not an SP and not suggesting I am but rather I’m trying to piece together info to make an opaque aspect of the firm a little less opaque. Feel free to add what you think is better info that’s the point of this discussion.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:53 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
GermanLawyer wrote:
I’m the anon you’re quoting and my response is: Put up or shut up? My info comes from friends here who have gone NSP to SP and from lateral NSPs who wanted info on the path to shares before agreeing to come over. My post makes it pretty obvious I’m not an SP and not suggesting I am but rather I’m trying to piece together info to make an opaque aspect of the firm a little less opaque. Feel free to add what you think is better info that’s the point of this discussion.
Agree with anon immediately above I’ve heard 1.5 and 2.5 from SPs directly that I trust. No idea on the buyin though, surprised no one has ever really talked about that and wonder why it wouldn’t just be a profits interest, it’s not like the firm needs the cash and I don’t think they’d reference those numbers if a large amount came out of it to pay down a capital contribution.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:32 am

Saw some discussion about this from 2016 but wanted to check... I lateraled during 2021. My bonus was prorated from my start date through Aug 31 (and not through end of year). Does this sound right? Thanks!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:27 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
GermanLawyer wrote:
Agree with anon immediately above I’ve heard 1.5 and 2.5 from SPs directly that I trust. No idea on the buyin though, surprised no one has ever really talked about that and wonder why it wouldn’t just be a profits interest, it’s not like the firm needs the cash and I don’t think they’d reference those numbers if a large amount came out of it to pay down a capital contribution.
The buyin is essentially meaningless given the amounts SPs are making and they finance it for you at 1% interest and you just pay it in over time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:32 am
Saw some discussion about this from 2016 but wanted to check... I lateraled during 2021. My bonus was prorated from my start date through Aug 31 (and not through end of year). Does this sound right? Thanks!!
Our billable year (for purposes of bonuses) ends Aug 31, so yes. Your hours from Sept 1 - end of year will count towards next year's bonus. Always negotiate a non-prorated bonus in the offer letter.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:27 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
GermanLawyer wrote:
24 hours on from that weird post and no response make me think this is a "doth protest too much" situation where we're actually 100% right about this and some bugged out share partner was just reacting to "proprietary" info being publicly discussed.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:06 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:57 pm

Are some folks still annualizing 3400-3500 hrs like last year? Thoughts on the expected multiplier this year for 3400-3500…. :?:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:57 pm
Are some folks still annualizing 3400-3500 hrs like last year? Thoughts on the expected multiplier this year for 3400-3500…. :?:
Things have slowed down a lot this year (thankfully). If you are on that pace, its all on you and bonuses will not be bigger this year than last (since last year was historically busy and our numbers are down by a wide margin from the same period last year).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:26 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Things have slowed down a lot this year (thankfully). If you are on that pace, its all on you and bonuses will not be bigger this year than last (since last year was historically busy and our numbers are down by a wide margin from the same period last year).
How much are numbers down, pls share

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
My thought is you should walk into the head of your practice group's office and say "either we get my hours down to 200 or less per month or I lateral next month." lol at billing 3,000+ hours for a 1.25x multiplier.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:52 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
My thought is you should walk into the head of your practice group's office and say "either we get my hours down to 200 or less per month or I lateral next month." lol at billing 3,000+ hours for a 1.25x multiplier.
No need to pull a Jerry Maguire … just say you’re at capacity but thanks for the opp… whether you’re asked by a sp, nsp, sawnsp 8) :D

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:08 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
No need to pull a Jerry Maguire … just say you’re at capacity but thanks for the opp… whether you’re asked by a sp, nsp, sawnsp 8) :D
I guess that works slowly lol but if I were pacing for 3500 I don't think I could handle waiting for matters to slowly drop away I think I'd just flip out

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:42 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:08 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I guess that works slowly lol but if I were pacing for 3500 I don't think I could handle waiting for matters to slowly drop away I think I'd just flip out
The point is to balance your matters as they come in so you’re never pacing for 3500 in the first place. If you’re good at saying no, the free market system is a beautiful thing and you can maintain rough control over your hours for the year (obviously unexpected things happen, and we’re talking about an imprecise yes/no to an entire deal, not fine-tuned control, but still).

I’ve said no to SPs and NSPs on multiple occasions when I was at capacity and it hasn’t hurt me one bit.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”