Non-Senior Lateral to In House - Lack of Experience? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
nextstep2016

New

Non-Senior Lateral to In House - Lack of Experience?

Post by nextstep2016 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:20 pm

I am hoping there are some people out there who made the jump from big law to in house during or before their third year who can advise.... I am a newly minted third year (transactional) who is kind of at the end of my rope, but I am really worried that I don't have enough experience to step into an in nhouse role (at least the type I want, at least partially substantive and not limited to making SEC filings and managing corp gov). I do have a lot of experience and responsibility for someone at my seniority level but having been in big law less than 2.5 years, my experience and knowlege are not as robust as I would ideally like.

What I'm wondering is, for people who left transactional big law and went in house within the first three years of being in big law, do you think your lack of experience has held you back? Have the people coming in with 5 years of experience to your 2 or 3 leapfrogged you in seniority or knowledge base?

Anonymous User

Re: Non-Senior Lateral to In House - Lack of Experience?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:04 pm

If they hire you then its because you are either qualified or they feel confident you can learn. Necessary skill set is largely dependent on where you are going in-house and what role you are taking on. Giant difference between being the marketing attorney at Coca-Cola vs the securities attorney at Coca-Cola vs the environmental attorney at Coca-Cola vs the trademark attorney at Coca-Cola vs the litigation attorney at Coca-Cola.... you get the picture.

Assuming you can figure out the substantive legal knowledge requirements of your role, then its all just about fitting in with the company culture and people, connecting with your co-workers, balancing deadlines and workload, and producing good work product like any other job in corporate America.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:30 pm

nextstep2016 wrote:I am hoping there are some people out there who made the jump from big law to in house during or before their third year who can advise.... I am a newly minted third year (transactional) who is kind of at the end of my rope, but I am really worried that I don't have enough experience to step into an in nhouse role (at least the type I want, at least partially substantive and not limited to making SEC filings and managing corp gov). I do have a lot of experience and responsibility for someone at my seniority level but having been in big law less than 2.5 years, my experience and knowlege are not as robust as I would ideally like.

What I'm wondering is, for people who left transactional big law and went in house within the first three years of being in big law, do you think your lack of experience has held you back? Have the people coming in with 5 years of experience to your 2 or 3 leapfrogged you in seniority or knowledge base?
I made the jump at the end of year 3. It's a little early, but I wouldn't worry too much. The more senior attorneys will still be reviewing your work product at first, and you are going to have a lot to learn even if you were coming in from being an 8th year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:43 pm

I left after 2 years and have had no problems. Anything that is highly technical or difficult, you'll have outside counsel help advise you.

I noticed there's a much less sink or swim mentality once you go in-house. People are generally willing to help you if you're uncertain how to do something. I think it's a combination of people having more time, there being less competition to advance and that it's less of a revolving door.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I left after 2 years and have had no problems. Anything that is highly technical or difficult, you'll have outside counsel help advise you.

I noticed there's a much less sink or swim mentality once you go in-house. People are generally willing to help you if you're uncertain how to do something. I think it's a combination of people having more time, there being less competition to advance and that it's less of a revolving door.
Yeah, time is huge. Since there are no billable hours, most other attorneys are happy to spend time helping you out if they aren't otherwise swamped.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”