Locating Dismissed New York Criminal Citations Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Locating Dismissed New York Criminal Citations

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:26 pm

10 years ago I was cited on a misdemeanor. The citation was dismissed on the merits at a preliminary hearing - basically not even one element was satisfied, and I had only been cited because I was rude and dumb. Fast forward a decade, and I disclosed it on the bar app.

The issue is I can't locate the ticket. The # I got 646-386-4511 never has anyone answer, and I've went down to the court house a number of times, waited in line and was basically told I need to do it through the phone, which leads to a phoneathon in which each # tells me to call a different #, and eventually it comes full circle and I'm back at the first office. I'm in a conundrum now in that the c&f board doesn't have any evidence my side of what happened is correct, and I had defended myself pro se. Is there anything I can do? It's frustrating because I was so worried about it at the time, hit the library to prepare and was so happy when it was dismissed.

In hindsight, I would be so so much better off I was found guilty. One individual hinted an under the table payment could speed the process up, but it seems dumb to commit new crimes to compensate for not committing earlier ones. Also, would anyone have any experience with the possibility of trying to get the 2006 verdict retried so I could get a new ticket?

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Re: Locating Dismissed New York Criminal Citations

Post by ballouttacontrol » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:One individual hinted an under the table payment could speed the process up, but it seems dumb to commit new crimes to compensate for not committing earlier ones.
Why would that be a crime?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:08 pm

Does NY have like an ecourts thing online? Oregon has a system where all court records for most of the counties in the state are online and all you need is a name and DOB to look someone up. It includes citations and civil. If there's a system like that, get a classmate who's working in NY to look you up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:21 am

Does C&F require both the certificate of disposition and the pink summons?

The certificate of disposition is available at the courthouse where you were arraigned at the clerk's office. Go early in the day. The Certificate will have the specific summons number and they should be able to direct you to a copy of the summons from there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:12 pm

OP, I think you should be fine. I had a misdemeanor that was dismissed as well, but the local court destroyed all of the records (the court only retained them for 5 years). I just explained to the bar all the steps I went through to obtain the records, but I was unable to do so. That should be enough to dispel any notions that you're withholding unfavorable information or something like that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”