Living within walking distance Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
123fakest

New

Living within walking distance

Post by 123fakest » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:24 pm

I've heard on this site that it is not a good idea to live within walking distance of your biglaw job because you'll be called into work at odd hours because seniors / partners know you're close by. Has anyone actually had this happen to them? I'm at a non NYC v50 if that matters.

Anonymous User

Re: Living within walking distance

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:53 pm

I've been wondering about this as well. I don't particularly mind living and working in the same neighborhood (I know some people feel like they need distance from the office). It seems like the time savings of not having a commute every day would be pretty significant compared to the number of times that a senior associate/partner would decide not to ask you for something because they specifically choose someone who they know lives closer. I feel like most work can be done remotely anyway, so is living far away actually a benefit in practice? I'm in NYC.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:16 pm

non-nyc v30. Nobody cares, in my office most mid level assos and partners live in the burbs. To my knowledge the situation where partners call you back into office just because you live nearby has never happened.

orangecup

Bronze

Post by orangecup » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:51 pm

Live in walking distance. Love not having a long commute. I've heard of some stories of people getting called in late at night - but the partners didn't discriminate between those who lived close and far.

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:56 pm

I'm in NYC. Work typically isn't distributed based on where you live, so live where you want to. Personally, I like not living in the same neighborhood as work because (1) midtown sucks, and (2) I'd never leave my neighborhood.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:06 pm

You should do it. That way when you walk home past midnight, at least you won't spend 30 extra minutes commuting.

ditch digger

Bronze

Post by ditch digger » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:09 pm

Commuting sucks ass. If you can life within walking distance, you should do it.

jkpolk

Silver

Post by jkpolk » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:41 pm

The option to walk is nice. Most of the time it's raining, or I want to save my shoes, or I'm tired, or I'm lazy. I'd say I uber like 50% of the time even though I'm a 15 minute walk in Manhattan.

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:47 pm

Your partner won't know where you live, so don't broadcast it and this is a non factor. I've never heard of anyone having this happen to them, other than when I made my midlevel go to work cause I was at a baseball game.

The partner will just expect you to work from home or demand you don't leave in the first place.

People who live really far away might get some slack, but people shittalk you and it's not worth the commute trade off.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

alphagamma

Bronze

Post by alphagamma » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:09 pm

I'm a 10 minute walk from the office, and everyone knows (including partners). Everyone else in my practice group is at least 20-30 minutes away. I have never been singled out because I'm closer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”