Let's talk in-house salaries Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
VentureMBA

New

Re: Let's talk in-house salaries

Post by VentureMBA » Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:28 pm
VentureMBA wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:57 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:31 am
Series A tech startup

$250k base
$3 million RSUs (one year cliff/four year vest)
fully paid health/dental/vision
15% 401k match (15% of my deduction, not 15% of base)
Unlimited PTO
Wellness stipend
10 years experience
Is the $3m valued at the 409A common stock price or at the Series A preferred price?
Are stock options awards to employees ever valued at preferred stock prices? (Actually asking, not being sarcastic)
In my experience as an ECVC senior associate, this is the most common way for companies to communicate equity award value. Companies are not always so transparent about it when they should be. If this is at the common stock valuation, that means the stock is worth ~4-5x that according to the Series A investors. That is an insane equity package for even a GC.

I would also note that it is extremely odd to be granting RSUs at Series A. Not sure what is up with that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:47 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Series A tech startup

$250k base
Unlimited PTO
Wellness stipend
10 years experience
Wow. What was your experience? i.e. was it corporate or something else?

Assume this is for the GC position?
Series A tech OP, would you mind sharing location? NYC/other VHCOL city or somewhere else?

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:32 pm

VentureMBA wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:31 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
VentureMBA wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Series A tech startup

$250k base
Unlimited PTO
Wellness stipend
10 years experience
Is the $3m valued at the 409A common stock price or at the Series A preferred price?
Are stock options awards to employees ever valued at preferred stock prices? (Actually asking, not being sarcastic)
In my experience as an ECVC senior associate, this is the most common way for companies to communicate equity award value. Companies are not always so transparent about it when they should be. If this is at the common stock valuation, that means the stock is worth ~4-5x that according to the Series A investors. That is an insane equity package for even a GC.

I would also note that it is extremely odd to be granting RSUs at Series A. Not sure what is up with that.
Yeah this is not common IME, especially at a Series A. If true, this is a great equity package.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:21 pm
d39524s wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:04 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:55 am
Passed on this offer in late 2021, but pasting below for FYI purposes:

5th year associate / rising 6th year at the time (tech transactions)

Company: publicly traded, consumer-facing tech company (multi-billion dollar market cap)
Comp: 170k base; 15k bonus, up to 10k 401k match, employee stock purchase plan (ie, stock can be purchased at a small discount)

I was able to negotiate up on salary a little bit, but decided to pass on the offer. Was very disappointed in the comp package overall.
Wow. This seems exceedingly low. Was this for a commercial counsel position? How is your search going now (or have you decided to ride it out at a firm for a while)?
I spoke to recruiters about trade association comp that was in that range (at the same experience level)...that's super low for a pubco, especially in NYC.
Any idea what's the going rate for commercial counsel these days for a public company in a major market? I know commercial counsel positions usually pay less than corporate/product counsel but wondering what is reasonable range is.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:40 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
d39524s wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Company: publicly traded, consumer-facing tech company (multi-billion dollar market cap)
Comp: 170k base; 15k bonus, up to 10k 401k match, employee stock purchase plan (ie, stock can be purchased at a small discount)

I was able to negotiate up on salary a little bit, but decided to pass on the offer. Was very disappointed in the comp package overall.
Wow. This seems exceedingly low. Was this for a commercial counsel position? How is your search going now (or have you decided to ride it out at a firm for a while)?
I spoke to recruiters about trade association comp that was in that range (at the same experience level)...that's super low for a pubco, especially in NYC.
Any idea what's the going rate for commercial counsel these days for a public company in a major market? I know commercial counsel positions usually pay less than corporate/product counsel but wondering what is reasonable range is.
Not strictly on point, but maybe helpful:

~4 years in IP/tech trans in big law, joined as commercial counsel and as most junior member of legal team

Late stage/pre-IPO SF tech company (500-1K employees)
175K base + 25K target bonus (with a small signing bonus)
~150K equity over 4 years (1 year cliff) when I joined, although that has doubled on paper due to recent valuation.
401K match, zero premium health/dental, with typical wellness reimbursements, etc.

TBH TC felt a little light when I joined from a firm, but feels decent today because of the equity growth, even if I'd prefer more cash + bonus for security and liquidity. Amazing WLB (9-6, no weekends), great culture/team.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:20 pm

Sorry, I should have specified that my $3mil in RSUs is being issued/valued when we raise our next round. Still a great package, not as great as if it was at our Series A valuation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:17 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:40 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
d39524s wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Not strictly on point, but maybe helpful:

~4 years in IP/tech trans in big law, joined as commercial counsel and as most junior member of legal team

Late stage/pre-IPO SF tech company (500-1K employees)
175K base + 25K target bonus (with a small signing bonus)
~150K equity over 4 years (1 year cliff) when I joined, although that has doubled on paper due to recent valuation.
401K match, zero premium health/dental, with typical wellness reimbursements, etc.

TBH TC felt a little light when I joined from a firm, but feels decent today because of the equity growth, even if I'd prefer more cash + bonus for security and liquidity. Amazing WLB (9-6, no weekends), great culture/team.
For what it's worth, I went in-house recently and was lucky enough to have a friend in a FAANG who worked in recruitment, so he knew what their budgeting was for counsel positions and the results of their peer comparisons. The above amount was roughly at the high end of their approved hiring for commercial counsel, and at the low range of their corporate counsel (in VHCL locations).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:10 pm

AGC at a private financial company in major market not NYC

$250k base
33% target bonus (historically higher than target)
No equity since company is privately owned, but profit sharing that can add an additional 10-15% depending on company performance
401k match and other solid benefits

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:10 pm

Accidental double post

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:10 pm

$250k base
No equity since company is privately owned, but profit sharing that can add an additional 10-15% depending on company performance
This is really good. Any sense of hour expectation? Are you coming from a funds background or is this a generalist role? I'm assuming you took this :lol:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

$250k base
How many years of experience do you have (biglaw and other)? What's the schedule like for this job? Can you elaborate on the benefits, specifically health insurance?

Buglaw

Bronze

Post by Buglaw » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:28 pm

1styearlateral wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:32 pm
VentureMBA wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
VentureMBA wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Series A tech startup

$250k base
Unlimited PTO
Wellness stipend
10 years experience

Yeah this is not common IME, especially at a Series A. If true, this is a great equity package.
But like, the tax on that is ENORMOUS. It’s going to be more than the cash he takes home. How is he going to pay it? This pay structure makes no sense and must be wrong.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:45 pm

Is it just me or does the average total comp of people on TLS seem higher than average? Seems like most are making more than my friends post biglaw. But my friends are content with their comp.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:15 am

Buglaw wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:28 pm
1styearlateral wrote:
VentureMBA wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
VentureMBA wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Series A tech startup

$250k base
Unlimited PTO
Wellness stipend
10 years experience

But like, the tax on that is ENORMOUS. It’s going to be more than the cash he takes home. How is he going to pay it? This pay structure makes no sense and must be wrong.
Yeah, great point. And what happens if the shares become diluted with another raise or some other qualifying event?

Wanderingdrock

Bronze

Post by Wanderingdrock » Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:59 am

1styearlateral wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:15 am
Buglaw wrote:
1styearlateral wrote:
VentureMBA wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
VentureMBA wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Series A tech startup

$250k base
Unlimited PTO
Wellness stipend
10 years experience

Yeah, great point. And what happens if the shares become diluted with another raise or some other qualifying event?
OP added above: "Sorry, I should have specified that my $3mil in RSUs is being issued/valued when we raise our next round. Still a great package, not as great as if it was at our Series A valuation."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:15 am

Buglaw wrote:
1styearlateral wrote:
VentureMBA wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
VentureMBA wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Series A tech startup

$250k base
Unlimited PTO
Wellness stipend
10 years experience

OP here. It's not wrong, why would I randomly make this up? You can double-trigger vest RSUs in a private company based on a liquidity event: https://carta.com/blog/liquid-rsus/

Buglaw

Bronze

Post by Buglaw » Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:07 am

You pay tax when things vest…. If it’s a 1 year cliff 4 year vest, your gonna have like 700k of income on the first vesting date (unless things go poorly for the company). How are you going to pay tax on that?

If it’s a double trigger vesting, then it’s not a 1 year cliff 4 year vest. Do you also have to be employed at the time of sale? If so, you might have to stick around for a decade or more to get anything. That too doesn’t sound that great to me and much worse than what was initially posted.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:45 pm
Is it just me or does the average total comp of people on TLS seem higher than average? Seems like most are making more than my friends post biglaw. But my friends are content with their comp.
Probably some selection bias going on...people might be more like to want to post a higher comp package on here. Or alternatively, maybe the selection bias is on your end (perhaps you're more junior or located in a low cost of living market, which would tilt your friends' results in the other direction).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:15 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

$250k base
This is really good. Any sense of hour expectation? Are you coming from a funds background or is this a generalist role? I'm assuming you took this :lol:
Ha yes, took it. Hours are great, 9-6 and no weekend work. There is some funds work, but also a lot of other work. M&A and securities background

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:22 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

$250k base
How many years of experience do you have (biglaw and other)? What's the schedule like for this job? Can you elaborate on the benefits, specifically health insurance?
7 years, half in big law, half in-house. 9-6. Don't want to go into too many specifics on benefits, but pretty similar to big tech companies in terms of perks. Health insurance is solid, like 80% covered by company so only $100 a month premium

VentureMBA

New

Post by VentureMBA » Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:55 am

Buglaw wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:07 am
You pay tax when things vest…. If it’s a 1 year cliff 4 year vest, your gonna have like 700k of income on the first vesting date (unless things go poorly for the company). How are you going to pay tax on that?

If it’s a double trigger vesting, then it’s not a 1 year cliff 4 year vest. Do you also have to be employed at the time of sale? If so, you might have to stick around for a decade or more to get anything. That too doesn’t sound that great to me and much worse than what was initially posted.
The typical "Facebook RSU" structure doesn't require you to be employed at the time of sale/IPO. You get credit for whatever vested based on time served (1 year cliff/ 4 year vest) and then the ultimate vesting occurs at sale/IPO.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:20 pm
Sorry, I should have specified that my $3mil in RSUs is being issued/valued when we raise our next round. Still a great package, not as great as if it was at our Series A valuation.
As other posters have noted, this is a super unusual construct and I'd get your own advice on it. Tech exec comp lawyer here and people screw up RSUs all the time. Private company RSUs only make sense for a very narrow band of companies but a lot of folks don't understand the nuances and want to give them to employees because they want to be cool like Facebook.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:52 pm

Corporate Counsel role at public tech company. c/o 2018, remote optional position (so I don't think they really consider the cost of living aspect).

$185k base
10% bonus
$75k RSUs vesting over 4 years
4.5% 401(k) match

I basically calculate it to be $230k or so all in. Feels like there might be some room for negotiation based on the numbers for public tech companies I'm seeing here, but I would probably take it even if they don't budge. 10% bonus and less than $20k a year in RSUs both feel a little low, but interested in any thoughts.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:22 am

VentureMBA wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:55 am
Buglaw wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:07 am

The typical "Facebook RSU" structure doesn't require you to be employed at the time of sale/IPO. You get credit for whatever vested based on time served (1 year cliff/ 4 year vest) and then the ultimate vesting occurs at sale/IPO.
Correct. Sorry that I didn't describe my comp package with perfect precision and sufficient detail in a post that I fired off while drinking coffee everyone!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:07 am

[quote="Anonymous User" post_id=10509452 time=1645671155 user_id=45852]
Corporate Counsel role at public tech company. c/o 2018, remote optional position (so I don't think they really consider the cost of living aspect).

$185k base
10% bonus
$75k RSUs vesting over 4 years
4.5% 401(k) match

I basically calculate it to be $230k or so all in. Feels like there might be some room for negotiation based on the numbers for public tech companies I'm seeing here, but I would probably take it even if they don't budge. 10% bonus and less than $20k a year in RSUs both feel a little low, but interested in any thoughts.
[/quote]

FWIW, I am c/o 2018 in lit and was told a similar TC for a tech company/remote position a few weeks ago. The based was lower, and bonus higher, but overall ended up being about 220k in TC.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”