Let's talk in-house salaries Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Let's talk in-house salaries

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 27, 2022 3:42 pm

VP at financial services firm. 6 years experience at V10 firm.

Base: $250k
Bonus: 100%
Equity: 50k
RSUs: 25k
401(k): 8%
Hours: 50/week

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 27, 2022 4:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 3:42 pm

Wow

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 27, 2022 5:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 4:04 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Wow
I'm also a VP at a reputable financial services firm (i-bank). I make much less than this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 27, 2022 6:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Are you in a legal or business role? If business did you have any other factors (JD/MBA, previous IB experiences, etc)

VentureMBA

New

Post by VentureMBA » Sun May 29, 2022 12:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Why are you drawing a distinction between equity and RSUs?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:54 pm

Class of 2019, AMLaw100 M&A associate in secondary market (Midwest). Wasn’t looking to move so soon but random connection with CFO of pre IPO tech company led to offer.

Base: $230k
Bonus: 30%+
Equity: 30k
401k: 6%
Hours: Apparently no more than 40.

Total comp is going to essentially match what I’d make this year at the firm. Any reason for me to stick it out another couple of years if I know partner track not for me?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:57 pm

Any insight from litigation/regulatory/compliance folks out there?

C/o 2016 in a niche litigation area received an in house offer that sits within compliance looking at 200k base, 20% bonus, 6% 401k match. I totally accept I won't be raking in transactional folks $ but I thought this was pretty solid as a litigation exit.

Sackboy

Silver

Post by Sackboy » Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:39 am

VentureMBA wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 12:09 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Why are you drawing a distinction between equity and RSUs?
Could be receiving an equity grant worth $50k in shares that doesn't have any restrictions vs time- or performance-based RSUs.

thisismytlsuername

Bronze

Post by thisismytlsuername » Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:54 pm
Class of 2019, AMLaw100 M&A associate in secondary market (Midwest). Wasn’t looking to move so soon but random connection with CFO of pre IPO tech company led to offer.

Total comp is going to essentially match what I’d make this year at the firm. Any reason for me to stick it out another couple of years if I know partner track not for me?
Depending on what stage the company is at and what your title/role is, you should ask for more equity.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:57 pm
Any insight from litigation/regulatory/compliance folks out there?

C/o 2016 in a niche litigation area received an in house offer that sits within compliance looking at 200k base, 20% bonus, 6% 401k match. I totally accept I won't be raking in transactional folks $ but I thought this was pretty solid as a litigation exit.
I am in regulatory/compliance at a bank and also c/o 2016. This is a good offer, especially if its a 9 to 5 gig. As you said, regulatory/compliance isn't going to pay like tech or transactional. Well done.

attorney589753

Bronze

Post by attorney589753 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:50 pm

thisismytlsuername wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:35 am
Anonymous User wrote:

Depending on what stage the company is at and what your title/role is, you should ask for more equity.
I think it's overall a good offer for someone class of 2019. I also agree the equity is a bit light, but ~$300K cash (if you get full bonus) is pretty nice. I would make a run at increasing the equity portion but not have it be a deal-breaker.

I think your other question ("any reason to stick it out another couple years") is more complicated. Is there a reason to stick it out for a better in-house offer? I think this is likely no because it's market-dependent, luck involved in getting these, and above is a solid offer. But from a skills standpoint, you are probably going to learn a bit less law, and a bit more business skills, by moving in-house this early. In particular, unless the role is highly M&A focused, in the future you're probably pitching yourself more as a corporate generalist than an M&A person; those mid-level years are really valuable from an M&A skill perspective.

persia1921

New

Post by persia1921 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:31 pm

attorney589753 wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:50 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

I think it's overall a good offer for someone class of 2019. I also agree the equity is a bit light, but ~$300K cash (if you get full bonus) is pretty nice. I would make a run at increasing the equity portion but not have it be a deal-breaker.

I think your other question ("any reason to stick it out another couple years") is more complicated. Is there a reason to stick it out for a better in-house offer? I think this is likely no because it's market-dependent, luck involved in getting these, and above is a solid offer. But from a skills standpoint, you are probably going to learn a bit less law, and a bit more business skills, by moving in-house this early. In particular, unless the role is highly M&A focused, in the future you're probably pitching yourself more as a corporate generalist than an M&A person; those mid-level years are really valuable from an M&A skill perspective.
This is credited. Mid-level years are really valuable for the legal skill set--but if you want out, no reason not to take this offer now.

Do you know what you will be doing at the new gig? That might help you decide. A few other helpful questions you could ask yourself:

- Are you generally comfortable running deal process fairly independently without being told what to do next? Do you have a decent idea of what needs to get done in a deal and when it needs to get done?

- How comfortable are you with the ins and outs of M&A agreements? Have you had the opportunity to mark up a full purchase agreement on your own yet (albeit with partner supervision)? Do you feel like you have a good understanding of how all the pieces of a purchase agreement fit together?

- At least for smaller/mid-size deals, are you the client's primary contact, or is the client still primarily contacting the senior associate/partner?

- Are you independently running the diligence process/supervising Jrs to do it?

If you answer "yes" to the above, I'd definitely move. If you are answering "no," I don't think that necessarily means you shouldn't move, it just means you probably have not rounded out the key mid-level skill set yet for M&A.

Overall it's a really solid offer for someone C/O 2019. For context, I left earlier this year as C/O 2017 for a similar offer cash-wise, but equity comp (RSUs) was significantly higher. I do primarily M&A at the new gig, but it is way less "legal" than it was at the firm. I am still learning, but it's definitely more of a business skill set as others have suggested, and I am glad I have the legal skill set (both substantive and process) under my belt as, at least for right now, that is where I can add the most value. Hope this is helpful.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 6:13 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Are you in a legal or business role? If business did you have any other factors (JD/MBA, previous IB experiences, etc)
Legal.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:15 pm

persia1921 wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:31 pm
attorney589753 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This is credited. Mid-level years are really valuable for the legal skill set--but if you want out, no reason not to take this offer now.

Do you know what you will be doing at the new gig? That might help you decide. A few other helpful questions you could ask yourself:

- Are you generally comfortable running deal process fairly independently without being told what to do next? Do you have a decent idea of what needs to get done in a deal and when it needs to get done?

- How comfortable are you with the ins and outs of M&A agreements? Have you had the opportunity to mark up a full purchase agreement on your own yet (albeit with partner supervision)? Do you feel like you have a good understanding of how all the pieces of a purchase agreement fit together?

- At least for smaller/mid-size deals, are you the client's primary contact, or is the client still primarily contacting the senior associate/partner?

If you answer "yes" to the above, I'd definitely move. If you are answering "no," I don't think that necessarily means you shouldn't move, it just means you probably have not rounded out the key mid-level skill set yet for M&A.

Overall it's a really solid offer for someone C/O 2019. For context, I left earlier this year as C/O 2017 for a similar offer cash-wise, but equity comp (RSUs) was significantly higher. I do primarily M&A at the new gig, but it is way less "legal" than it was at the firm. I am still learning, but it's definitely more of a business skill set as others have suggested, and I am glad I have the legal skill set (both substantive and process) under my belt as, at least for right now, that is where I can add the most value. Hope this is helpful.
This is incredibly helpful, thank you. Leaving too soon (as it relates to substantive training) is probably my biggest concern. Fortunately I’m on a team that staffs deals lean and I can generally answer yes to your questions. I know there is still a lot to learn, but your experience is encouraging as I’d like to gain the business skills as well. The new gig has some M&A but likely leans more towards corporate generalist like the above poster mentioned. Really appreciate the insight and will give it some more thought.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:15 pm
persia1921 wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:31 pm
attorney589753 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This is incredibly helpful, thank you. Leaving too soon (as it relates to substantive training) is probably my biggest concern. Fortunately I’m on a team that staffs deals lean and I can generally answer yes to your questions. I know there is still a lot to learn, but your experience is encouraging as I’d like to gain the business skills as well. The new gig has some M&A but likely leans more towards corporate generalist like the above poster mentioned. Really appreciate the insight and will give it some more thought.
As one more datapoint, I'm a 2018 M&A associate who's gone in-house in the last year at a smaller company. One aspect of in-house corporate work I've noticed is how important it is to be able to operate independently and autonomously. When I came in I thought "I am confident I know how a deal progresses" but was shakier on "I know how a deal progresses, and I can manage it without the input and guidance of more senior attorneys" and that really is the difference. At the firm, in my experience, people typically love it if you take things off their plate ("I'll take a first stab at marking up that agreement"), but the availability of input is always there. Not so much when you're in smaller in-house legal team. It's not something that you can't overcome, particularly if you have supportive colleagues, but it can feel like you're in over you're head for a while.

Dallas316

New

Post by Dallas316 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 5:39 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 4:04 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Wow
I'm also a VP at a reputable financial services firm (i-bank). I make much less than this.
How much do you make?

Grunting7

New

Post by Grunting7 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:56 pm

PE Megafund (KKR, Blackstone, Carlyle)
Class of 2019
TC: $260k
Carry:Eligible in 2 years
NYC

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:34 pm

Grunting7 wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:56 pm
Class of 2019
NYC
As a fellow 2019, it's encouraging to see colleagues making these kinds of moves. Congrats to you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:34 pm
Grunting7 wrote:
Class of 2019
NYC
As a fellow 2019, it's encouraging to see colleagues making these kinds of moves. Congrats to you.
Thank you!

I got extremely lucky. Was at a mid-sized firm and went in-house doing regulatory work. Saw the posting on their online portal, applied and somehow got it. While the TC is certainly not as high as others in the same class year in this thread, I'm very thankful especially being only 3 years out of law school. Most of my co-workers came from several years of big law and from top schools...and I did not. It's definitely possible to make these moves so best of luck to you and anyone else trying to do similar!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

jeez. i was c/o 2017 v10 M&A and this is better than any offer I received.

If any negotiating room, I would push for more equity given pre-IPO.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:47 pm

Commercial litigator at a satellite office of a v50 in a secondary market. Fortunate to receive a couple offers.

Base: 200k
Bonus: 15%
Signing: 10k
RSUs: 40k per year
Industry: Food

Base: 215k
Bonus 15%
Signing: 25k
RSUs: 110k over four years
Industry: Tech

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:47 pm
Commercial litigator at a satellite office of a v50 in a secondary market. Fortunate to receive a couple offers.

Bonus 15%
Year? These look really good. Congrats!

Lukky

New

Post by Lukky » Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:39 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:34 pm
Grunting7 wrote:
Class of 2019
NYC
Thank you!

I got extremely lucky. Was at a mid-sized firm and went in-house doing regulatory work. Saw the posting on their online portal, applied and somehow got it. While the TC is certainly not as high as others in the same class year in this thread, I'm very thankful especially being only 3 years out of law school. Most of my co-workers came from several years of big law and from top schools...and I did not. It's definitely possible to make these moves so best of luck to you and anyone else trying to do similar!
Curious what eligible for carry means. Does that mean, assuming you meet target expectations, you would participate in carry? If so, that's an awesome deal! Do you know what the value of that carry would be?

funnymonkey92

New

Post by funnymonkey92 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

When you say 50/week are those actual working hours, or just hours where you're available, because there is a big difference IMO. 50 actual working hours a week is like biglaw tbh.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:55 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:47 pm

Bonus 15%
Year? These look really good. Congrats!
I'm about six years out. Thanks! It was a struggle to get these offers.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”