One-year Fellowships? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

One-year Fellowships?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:10 pm

Hi all,

I hear/see a lot of generalized talk about one-year, post-graduate "fellowship" positions of various kinds, but I don't really have much of an idea how to actually search for those positions or what they might entail. The concept appeals to me because I am coming off of a clerkship (ending in August) and am expecting a "gap year" during which I want to continue living in City X (not NYC or DC, but a relatively big city) before moving to Unknown City Y with my spouse for my spouse's career. I plan to talk with my contacts in City X (which is where I'm living/clerking now, so those contacts include the judge), of course, but I was wondering if there are any good online resources I could check out that tend to list these types of positions.

But, more fundamentally, would anyone mind enlightening me on WTF I'm even talking about? I profess to not really know. I do realize I'm sort of coming at this backwards in some sense: I would imagine it's more common to think, "Hey, I want to work in [particular area of law]. I'll look for positions that allow me to do that. Oh, fellowships do? Great; I'll apply to those." But, for me, like I said, it's more of a pragmatic consideration than anything else. I'd prefer not to take an ostensibly long-term position under false pretenses, knowing I'll probably have to move in a year, so a position designed to end when I have to move would be perfect. I could maybe try to clerk again, but it's pretty late in the game to find a 2016-17 position and this is already my second clerkship. So all of that leads me to wonder about these one-year fellowship positions about which I have almost no information other than that they exist and are apparently not career killers.

Do my questions make sense? Can anyone point me in a useful direction or set my mind right on how to think about these positions? Thanks in advance!

zot1

Gold

Re: One-year Fellowships?

Post by zot1 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:54 pm

They are usually positions in public interest organizations. Some, very few, offer their own funding. Some allow you to get your own funding (which you can do sometimes through other organizations or your school). And there are some where you get the joy and value of experience only for your hard work in one year.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”