Had an involuntary psychiatric hold in a hospital. Will I pass AUSA/DOJ background check? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Had an involuntary psychiatric hold in a hospital. Will I pass AUSA/DOJ background check?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:38 pm

In college, I was in an abusive relationship (it was my first one, I am female). Very dark time in my life, and had just come out out of an semi-abusive family home. Became very suicidal and depressed, and checked into a hospital for a few days for mental health. This stay happened twice - the first was voluntary, the second was involuntary. :oops:

Those days are over, thank god. I have maybe one episode of depression a year, but I have started successfully overcoming it with yoga, meditation, and talk therapy. I'm becoming a completely different person than I was 4 years ago. :) I've just been accepted to two T14 schools, and waiting on more.

Personally, I believe I would find passion working in AUSA/DOJ/various public sector jobs. I'm gravely worried I won't pass the background check though. Any advice to offer me?

Anonymous User

Re: Had an involuntary psychiatric hold in a hospital. Will I pass AUSA/DOJ background check?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:29 pm

You'll be fine. You will have to report it, explain what happened, and how you overcame it. The background check is pretty forgiving for stuff in your past that was pre-law school if you have taken or are taking steps to remedy the underlying problem e.g. therapy, medication, etc. It will be uncomfortable to talk about, but be open and honest. You can write an addendum as part of your background check form. An FBI agent may also ask you some questions.

Anonymous User

Re: Had an involuntary psychiatric hold in a hospital. Will I pass AUSA/DOJ background check?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You'll be fine. You will have to report it, explain what happened, and how you overcame it. The background check is pretty forgiving for stuff in your past that was pre-law school if you have taken or are taking steps to remedy the underlying problem e.g. therapy, medication, etc. It will be uncomfortable to talk about, but be open and honest. You can write an addendum as part of your background check form. An FBI agent may also ask you some questions.
Really appreciate the answer. Thank you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:46 am

Agree with the above. Just wanted to add that if you have received treatment in the 7 years before the check, you will have to disclose your providers and have them provide letters saying that you don't have any currently diagnosed condition that would affect your ability to practice law/pose a security risk (you can have a current diagnosis, it just needs to not interfere with your abilities). As long as your providers can say that, no one will care.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Agree with the above. Just wanted to add that if you have received treatment in the 7 years before the check, you will have to disclose your providers and have them provide letters saying that you don't have any currently diagnosed condition that would affect your ability to practice law/pose a security risk (you can have a current diagnosis, it just needs to not interfere with your abilities). As long as your providers can say that, no one will care.
As this poster said, the form you would fill out (Google SF85, SF85P, and SF86 if you're really curious) will only ask you about treatment in the last seven years. Your OP indicates that you received this treatment four years ago and that you're still a 0L (this is an absolute waste of your time, btw, worrying about whether you'll pass the AUSA background check before you've even started law school and received an offer from a USAO). If the treatment was outside of the timeframe specified in the question, absolutely do not disclose it. You will come across some of the most paranoid idiots in the world when filling out your C&F application who will tell you to overdisclose everything; that advice definitely doesn't translate to filling out DOJ background investigation forms. If the information doesn't fall within the parameters of the question, do not disclose it. The investigators are required to follow up on any potentially derogatory information you provide, and they don't like to do that if it's not necessary. Even the Boy Scouts over at Federal Soup will tell you not to disclose any information unless the question specifically asks for it.

Source: I'm an AUSA.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”