Getting experience while working full-time Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rwhyAn

Bronze

Getting experience while working full-time

Post by rwhyAn » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:10 pm

Hey, I'm a 2LE at Rutgers and I just finished the required curriculum last semester. Just got my grades back this week, and I ended up with a 3.51 gpa on a 3.0 curve. We don't rank, but I'd imagine I'd fall somewhere in the top 15-20%. I work full-time in a low-stress government job, and I make in the upper $60s. Plus, my employer covers all of my tuition. I want to try to get some legal experience before I graduate, but I'm not in a position to give up my employment since I make a decent income and because of the benefits. Has anyone been in a similar position or know of someone similarly situated? I would like to get employed in some sort of legal capacity when I get done. I wouldn't be able to do anything during the school year since my full-time job and law school would make it impossible, but do you think I could get some experience somewhere on a part-time/evening/weekend basis in the summers? Unfortunately, even though I have the vacation time, I can't tell my boss that I'm taking an entire month off. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

zot1

Gold

Re: Getting experience while working full-time

Post by zot1 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:16 pm

If you have not been working in legal internships over your summers, you're putting yourself at a disadvantage in the legal market.

Also, you talk about getting legal experience as if it were easy. Depending on the opportunities, you're seeking, you might not be able to secure a job.

But anyhow, best way to get experience in your situation is to have get an externship and get school credit for it. That way you won't have to worry about class since your class will be working in a legal job.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”