Accepted Summer Assoc. Offer in August but haven't heard anything from the firm since my acceptance. Is this normal? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Accepted Summer Assoc. Offer in August but haven't heard anything from the firm since my acceptance. Is this normal?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:17 pm

In August I accepted an offer from a V50 NYC firm and immediately received email confirmation of my acceptance. I haven't heard much at all since that email--no confirmation of start/end dates, salary, etc. I received an email about a month ago to confirm my current address and then also a generic holiday card in the mail.

Is this normal? Should I reach out? Or is reaching out considered an annoyance?

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.

msotrips

New

Re: Accepted Summer Assoc. Offer in August but haven't heard anything from the firm since my acceptance. Is this normal?

Post by msotrips » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:23 pm

Reach out. If you've been reading other threads on this board a lot of people have been fired recently. I think there's no harm in checking if you're still employed. No contact in a month since the holiday card, I'd make sure they still remember you.

JusticeJackson

Silver

Re: Accepted Summer Assoc. Offer in August but haven't heard anything from the firm since my acceptance. Is this normal?

Post by JusticeJackson » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:26 pm

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EzraFitz

Silver

Post by EzraFitz » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:39 pm

I concur with no reaching out needed. Personally, I accepted a position in July, and did not get a single word at all until about 5 days ago. It's too early to be freaked out IMO.

ClubberLang

Bronze

Post by ClubberLang » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:31 pm

fell for troll
Last edited by ClubberLang on Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:35 pm

msotrips wrote:Reach out. If you've been reading other threads on this board a lot of people have been fired recently. I think there's no harm in checking if you're still employed. No contact in a month since the holiday card, I'd make sure they still remember you.
This is a good troll
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:38 pm

Normal
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:44 pm

yeah it's normal anon, don't worry. My paranoia over not hearing from the firm led to me sending the firm HR a few awkward emails and HR probably thinks I'm a crazy person now... so don't follow my lead

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:yeah it's normal anon, don't worry. My paranoia over not hearing from the firm led to me sending the firm HR a few awkward emails and HR probably thinks I'm a crazy person now... so don't follow my lead
Thank you! Paranoia is getting the best of me

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:00 pm

I'm in the same boat as OP Anon (actually possibly same firm :shock: ). I know there is no need to worry yet, but when should we expect to hear? I'm mostly concerned because at some point I need to find housing and we don't have our start/end dates yet.

Avian

Bronze

Post by Avian » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm in the same boat as OP Anon (actually possibly same firm :shock: ). I know there is no need to worry yet, but when should we expect to hear? I'm mostly concerned because at some point I need to find housing and we don't have our start/end dates yet.
This is the sort of thing you can ask about. Just don't send an email saying asking if you're still a summer associate or if they rescinded your offer but didn't tell you on the off chance that you would forget to show up. FWIW I think most firms start their summer programs in the second or third week of May.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:50 pm

FSK wrote:
msotrips wrote:Reach out. If you've been reading other threads on this board a lot of people have been fired recently. I think there's no harm in checking if you're still employed. No contact in a month since the holiday card, I'd make sure they still remember you.
This is a good troll
Yeah what the heck? I've been off TLS for a few days but are people getting fired?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:03 pm

Br3v wrote:
FSK wrote:
This is a good troll
Yeah what the heck? I've been off TLS for a few days but are people getting fired?
Someone posted about getting laid off

And someone (I wonder who?) posted this:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=259179

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”