Law school, bar review, firm in different states Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Law school, bar review, firm in different states

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:35 pm

I'm a 2L trying to plan some logistics in advance: What if my law school, home state, and eventual firm (and thus bar admission) are in three different states? For example, say I go to UC Berkeley and will join a firm in New York, but to save on living expenses, I want to study for the bar at my parents' place in Texas. Is it possible to take a Barbri review course for the New York bar in Texas (say a major city in Texas)? For that matter, is it even possible to take the New York bar physically in Texas? Finally, how do BigLaw firms generally cover moving expenses for situations like this?

zot1

Gold

Re: Law school, bar review, firm in different states

Post by zot1 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:43 pm

You can take a bar prep course in a different state.

You cannot take the NY bar exam outside of NY.

Can't help you with moving expenses question.

Anonymous User

Re: Law school, bar review, firm in different states

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:43 pm

You can do the BarBri class online while studying in Texas, and there is a good chance that there will be an in-person class if you are in a major city in Texas. You will need to go to NY (I think Albany) in person to take the test, however.

You should talk to your firm about moving expenses, but I think your plan should be to put your stuff in storage in Berkeley and arrange for movers to transport it to your apartment in NYC when you move in. They might also cover a flight. You should plan to live off a stipend or salary advance that summer, depending on what your firm offers.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”