Computers in BigLawls Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mt2165

Silver

Computers in BigLawls

Post by mt2165 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:38 pm

Random question: 2L with an SA who will probably be doing Biglaw upon graduation. Do most associates use laptops at work in a sort of office docking situation, or do some associates use desktops? I only ask because I just generally prefer desktops-faster, better keyboards, larger monitors, etc., but I'm also a gamer. I figure I could build a desktop for work (if unprovided) for like $600 that would be more enjoyable to work on, but only if doing so wouldn't make me a weirdo.

Johann

Diamond

Re: Computers in BigLawls

Post by Johann » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:48 pm

mt2165 wrote:Random question: 2L with an SA who will probably be doing Biglaw upon graduation. Do most associates use laptops at work in a sort of office docking situation, or do some associates use desktops? I only ask because I just generally prefer desktops-faster, better keyboards, larger monitors, etc., but I'm also a gamer. I figure I could build a desktop for work (if unprovided) for like $600 that would be more enjoyable to work on, but only if doing so wouldn't make me a weirdo.
that would make you a weirdo. stop being weird.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:48 pm

Most firms have desktops set up in the offices. Some have laptops, but those that do typically have them connected to an external screen and separate keyboard (i.e. the laptop itself simply functions as the CPU, and is removable). You can always request the accessories that you need (i.e. I requested a second monitor to work on, a more ergonomic keyboard, etc. and had no problem getting those things).

No way is a firm going to let you build your own desktop and bring it into work. Security of electronic systems is a huge deal at all big firms. So they would never allow some external desktop to be brought in and hooked up to their network.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:49 pm

Some use laptops, some use desktops. They're all provided by the firm. There is almost no way they will let you build your own and it would be a pretty bizarre request. Build a desktop at home for the times when you work remotely, if you want.

smaug

Diamond

Post by smaug » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:52 pm

Just ask for a second monitor. Nobody will blink if you use a different keyboard, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mt2165

Silver

Post by mt2165 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:02 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:
mt2165 wrote:Random question: 2L with an SA who will probably be doing Biglaw upon graduation. Do most associates use laptops at work in a sort of office docking situation, or do some associates use desktops? I only ask because I just generally prefer desktops-faster, better keyboards, larger monitors, etc., but I'm also a gamer. I figure I could build a desktop for work (if unprovided) for like $600 that would be more enjoyable to work on, but only if doing so wouldn't make me a weirdo.
Damn, cold world. But alright noted. Point being, I just prefer desktops. Only mentioned the desktop building thing because I was under the presumption that (1) some firms might not have any desktops and (2) people used personal/"external" laptops in the office. But alright thanks.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:21 pm

mt2165 wrote:
JohannDeMann wrote:
Damn, cold world. But alright noted. Point being, I just prefer desktops. Only mentioned the desktop building thing because I was under the presumption that (1) some firms might not have any desktops and (2) people used personal/"external" laptops in the office. But alright thanks.
Like I said (in my accidentally-anon post above), the large majority of firms still use desktops anyway. And any firm will set you up with a second monitor or more comfortable keyboard if you ask for it.

Danny Mothers

Bronze

Post by Danny Mothers » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:31 pm

I highly doubt that any biglaw firm will let you use your own device to connect to the internal network. So even if you buy a desktop and cart it into your office, at best you'll be logging into citrix, which will, on average, be way slower than just using whatever they provide, desktop or laptop.

Abbie Doobie

Silver

Post by Abbie Doobie » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:40 pm

yeah man ur really gonna need the latest geforce/radeon to move all them commas around

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mt2165

Silver

Post by mt2165 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:47 pm

Abbie Doobie wrote:yeah man ur really gonna need the latest geforce/radeon to move all them commas around
Well geez I wasn't talking about a high-end gpu just like a 3+ Ghz CPU which actually does make quite a deal of difference. But alright, my firm gives us a technology stipend which is another reason I didn't think building a desktop was that aspie. But I guess that's mostly for extra monitors/new chairs/new keyboard etc.

Edit: as in, I thought they possibly didnt give you anything and the stipend covered all office tech

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:02 pm

You're fine, it's an unusual question but not an absurd one.

patentlitigatrix

Silver

Post by patentlitigatrix » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:41 pm

Danny Mothers wrote:I highly doubt that any biglaw firm will let you use your own device to connect to the internal network. So even if you buy a desktop and cart it into your office, at best you'll be logging into citrix, which will, on average, be way slower than just using whatever they provide, desktop or laptop.
This.

h2go

Bronze

Post by h2go » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:20 am

Get a laptop. There isn't much difference between a desktop and a docked laptop, except you can take the laptop home with you. In my experience, the laptops have generally had better specs than the desktops. The desktops at the firms I've been at have all been like ~5 years old while the laptops have been new.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

whysoseriousbiglaw

Bronze

Post by whysoseriousbiglaw » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:51 pm

Work computers are similarly garbage - whether they be laptops or desktops.

Just get a laptop so you can take it home with you when you need to.

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:23 pm

Use the stipend to buy a sick desktop and a cheap surface tablet for travel. Maybe buy a sick extra wide monitor.

A guy at my office was talking about buying his own laptop to plus into our network at work. Maybe they actually allow it.

I personally have a firm owned think pad that I use at wrk and at home. I have docking stations at both locals.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:35 pm

It's definitely weird and it's not good to complain before people know you as they may assume you're a chronic complainer, but you are right. The computers are much slower than what you'd expect given the expenses and hourly rates. The biggest joke is Carpe Diem. It's the most important program on any lawyer's computer, is kind of the whole law firm business and operates and crashes like an MS Dos program from the 1980's.

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It's definitely weird and it's not good to complain before people know you as they may assume you're a chronic complainer, but you are right. The computers are much slower than what you'd expect given the expenses and hourly rates. The biggest joke is Carpe Diem. It's the most important program on any lawyer's computer, is kind of the whole law firm business and operates and crashes like an MS Dos program from the 1980's.
fuck carpe deim. Fuck it in its bhole.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

smaug

Diamond

Post by smaug » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:41 pm

what is carpe diem?

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:43 pm

smaug wrote:what is carpe diem?
Billing entry software. SEIZE THE DAY
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:47 pm

mt2165 wrote:
JohannDeMann wrote:
What is this? 1996? Building your computer is still something people do?

Just be normal and use your firm-issued laptop like everyone else. You're not going to have time to be doing any gaming or anything else that would require a desktop anyway.

whysoseriousbiglaw

Bronze

Post by whysoseriousbiglaw » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:50 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:
mt2165 wrote:
JohannDeMann wrote:
What is this? 1996? Building your computer is still something people do?

Just be normal and use your firm-issued laptop like everyone else. You're not going to have time to be doing any gaming or anything else that would require a desktop anyway.
Plenty of gamers still build their own desktops...but....your firm likely won't let you install most programs anyway, so no point in building your own (you'd need admin access to install any additional software on a work computer, etc.).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:18 pm

I like to work with higher end tech. I don't have to build it, but can I request nicer/newer computers from the firm if I work there? I'd even just pay for it if the firm orders/secures the tech (as long as I get to take it home after IT reformats it when I lateral to my cushy in-house entertainment environmental human rights boutique).

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:I like to work with higher end tech. I don't have to build it, but can I request nicer/newer computers from the firm if I work there? I'd even just pay for it if the firm orders/secures the tech (as long as I get to take it home after IT reformats it when I lateral to my cushy in-house entertainment environmental human rights boutique).
They will probably have bulk leases for a certain laptop model and that is what you will get.

mt2165

Silver

Post by mt2165 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:51 am

On a sidenote, what kind of laptops do firms usually issue? Thinkpads? I like thinkpads

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:01 am

What kind of work do you people think you'll be doing on your work computers? It's email, office, websites, and a bunch of shitty law programs that run like garbage not because the computer sucks but because the programs are garbage.

Also, a good tip for being a new associate: don't be the weird needy guy who wants special treatment to match his preferences. Biglaw, like lots of businesses, works by putting you into a uniform system. It's not efficient to accommodate hundreds of lawyers' individual computer brand and specifications preferences.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”