Leaving a school funded fellowship early? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TLSaul2001

New

Leaving a school funded fellowship early?

Post by TLSaul2001 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:04 pm

I'm currently a fellow at my alma mater law school that is stipulated as a year duration (though my actual employment contract is considered 'at will'). It's basically set up to allow the school to hire a few people from each graduating class to help the employment numbers look a little better. Pay sucks but I'm employed and am extremely grateful for that.

Issue is, I interviewed for and got an offer for a permanent job in civil legal services (field I want to practice) that is great starting pay (for the field) and at a large enough organization that I can make a career out of it. Of course, I've only been at my fellowship for 5 months so instead of being ecstatic that I have a great career opportunity ahead of me, I'm terrified of telling my supervisor because I'd only be able to give 1 month's notice and bailing after 6 months. (I've heard some fellows in the past have left early but I'm not sure how early into their fellowships)

I'd really like to not burn a bridge here but I also feel that if my supervisor is going to hold this against me then it's worth it because I can't turn down a career opportunity for the sake of a year long fellowship that isn't giving me a job once the year is up. I'm also someone who specializes in overthinking people's reactions but I'm pretty positive my supervisor is not going to take the news happily given our current workload.

Anyone have experience leaving a fellowship early? Were there bad feelings? Should I care?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Leaving a school funded fellowship early?

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:11 pm

I thought the whole point of such fellowships was to help grads get jobs? You're a success story! I can't see why anyone could hold this against you. If your fellowship employer is getting free labor they can't complain when you get a real job.

Maybe your school can transfer the remaining funds and place someone else at the organization?

cheaptilts

Silver

Post by cheaptilts » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:13 pm

Congratulations OP!!!!! You should put in your notice ASAP. Your current employer will understand and if they don't, who cares?

lapolicia

Bronze

Post by lapolicia » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:33 pm

Don't even think about turning down this opportunity. One month notice is more than sufficient and if your supervisor doesn't understand that you want to work in a real job then that's not a bridge you want to keep anyway.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:45 pm

Take it and run.

LA Spring

Bronze

Post by LA Spring » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:07 pm

You are good to go!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”