Lavender Law for 3L Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lavender Law for 3L

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:22 pm

I went to Lavender Law in Chicago last year, and I got a 2L summer associateship for this upcoming summer. The firm is a highly ranked chambers & partners firm in the secondary market, but not vault ranked. Think of it as a Schiff. Now, it's national but not international, which I want.

My Resume will be better this time out than last time, grades and LR were never a problem, but now i've interned for every level of federal court, except SCOTUS.

So the question is: is going to Lavender worthwhile as a 3L?

grand inquisitor

Gold

Re: Lavender Law for 3L

Post by grand inquisitor » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:but now i've interned for every level of federal court, except SCOTUS.
this phrasing made me lol. idk anything about lavender but if it worked for you once why not cloy onto that process again?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:45 pm

Anonymous because I recruit at Lavender Law.

Most recruiters are looking for their summer program. However, I have, and I know friends at other firms have, advocated strongly for a 3L to be considered for an entry level position based on my impression at LavLaw. If the event works into your schedule and/or you can go for free or cheap, it could be worth it. I think there is also some value in building your LGBT attorney network. But, be prepared for most tables to look at you with a shrug.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:33 pm

Same situation as above, and overall agree. Can't hurt to get yourself in front of firms. As someone who recruits at LavLaw, we're rarely looking for 3Ls, but "trading up" is a lot easier than coming in without having been an SA anywhere. We do consider highly qualified 3Ls. That said, I won't guarantee that going to LavLaw will get you a job offer. (I'll also say that DC firms are likely to be overrepresented given that LavLaw is in DC this year, which may make things harder as DC is the most competitive market. All of the big NYC firms will make the trek to DC, but not sure firms focused on other markets will.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”