Disclosing disability to employers... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Disclosing disability to employers...

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:18 pm

jrass wrote:
cron1834 wrote:
Manali wrote:
xael wrote:Do u ever think u are t1% because you've been a 2L like 6 times
Or maybe it's because my LSAT score is 10 points higher than the median student from my school, dumbass. (There's a correlation between LSAT scores and law school performance).
It's not that tight of a correlation, though. I bet the correlation between practicing a bunch of law school exams and law school exam performance is better.
You're assuming doing the same thing over and over makes you better at it. If I were OP I'd probably have burnt out by 2L #3 at the latest. By the time November hit and my balls froze, I'd have slumped in my chair and said, "What's the point? I'll be back next year."
But...doing the same thing over and over again does make you better at it. See, pro athletes, musicians, artists, etc. etc. It's called practice.

jrass

Bronze

Post by jrass » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:33 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
jrass wrote:
cron1834 wrote:
Manali wrote:
Or maybe it's because my LSAT score is 10 points higher than the median student from my school, dumbass. (There's a correlation between LSAT scores and law school performance).
It's not that tight of a correlation, though. I bet the correlation between practicing a bunch of law school exams and law school exam performance is better.
You're assuming doing the same thing over and over makes you better at it. If I were OP I'd probably have burnt out by 2L #3 at the latest. By the time November hit and my balls froze, I'd have slumped in my chair and said, "What's the point? I'll be back next year."
But...doing the same thing over and over again does make you better at it. See, pro athletes, musicians, artists, etc. etc. It's called practice.
Sometimes, sure. But there is a point of diminishing returns. If a coach overworks his players they get injured. If a music teacher overworks her student she gets burnt out. We're not talking about somebody taking practice exams before an exam. We're talking about having to go through the cost and stress of school, and then doing it again and again without getting any closer to the goal. I expected more than bumper sticker "practice makes perfect" logic from you.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:39 pm

jrass wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:But...doing the same thing over and over again does make you better at it. See, pro athletes, musicians, artists, etc. etc. It's called practice.
Sometimes, sure. But there is a point of diminishing returns. If a coach overworks his players they get injured. If a music teacher overworks her student she gets burnt out, and this is fairly common at music schools. We're not talking about somebody taking practice exams before an exam. We're talking about having to go through the cost and stress of school, and then doing it again and again without getting any closer to your goal. I expected more than bumper sticker "practice makes perfect" logic from you. You are smart, and better than this crap.
This is weird. You're a lawyer now, right? Aren't things that would have baffled you in 1L a lot easier now? And doesn't everyone here talk about losing any fucks to give by the end of 3L? It's not like they all flunk out - they just coast through exams. So yeah, I do believe that the more times you take law school exams, the better you get at them and the less they faze you. It's a few classes, and there's plenty of time to recover in between.

But then, I never got the "law school is SO STRESSFUL!!!!!!" thing either.

jrass

Bronze

Post by jrass » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:48 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
jrass wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:But...doing the same thing over and over again does make you better at it. See, pro athletes, musicians, artists, etc. etc. It's called practice.
Sometimes, sure. But there is a point of diminishing returns. If a coach overworks his players they get injured. If a music teacher overworks her student she gets burnt out, and this is fairly common at music schools. We're not talking about somebody taking practice exams before an exam. We're talking about having to go through the cost and stress of school, and then doing it again and again without getting any closer to your goal. I expected more than bumper sticker "practice makes perfect" logic from you. You are smart, and better than this crap.
This is weird. You're a lawyer now, right? Aren't things that would have baffled you in 1L a lot easier now? And doesn't everyone here talk about losing any fucks to give by the end of 3L? It's not like they all flunk out - they just coast through exams. So yeah, I do believe that the more times you take law school exams, the better you get at them and the less they faze you. It's a few classes, and there's plenty of time to recover in between.

But then, I never got the "law school is SO STRESSFUL!!!!!!" thing either.
Last month I wrote a little memo, and I didn't save it like a dumb-dumb. The computer froze, and I had to start from scratch. I wasn't a better writer when I wrote it the second time. I was tired and pissed off. I think what OP's went through is more like this than it is like the example you bring up.
Last edited by jrass on Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:49 pm

I don't think that's analogous at all.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jrass

Bronze

Post by jrass » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:50 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I don't think that's analogous at all.
Well, I can't tell you what to think.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:53 pm

jrass wrote:
:lol: Right.

My point is that going back and taking an additional year of exams after a chunk of time off isn't like having to immediately turn around and rewrite a memo you didn't save in the same night. It's more like the difference between writing your first memo in LRW and writing memos now, which can't take you anywhere near as long/require as much effort as that first LRW memo did.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:11 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
jrass wrote:

My point is that going back and taking an additional year of exams after a chunk of time off isn't like having to immediately turn around and rewrite a memo you didn't save in the same night. It's more like the difference between writing your first memo in LRW and writing memos now, which can't take you anywhere near as long/require as much effort as that first LRW memo did.
Of course you get better at things through practice. Come on, jrass. If you had to do law school exams over again you'd obviously be better-positioned than someone doing it for the first time.

xael

Platinum

Post by xael » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:15 pm

Manali wrote:
bet you'll be #1 if u try a 7th time

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:51 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
jrass wrote:

This is jrass (accidental anon):

But with each of those memos I've written, I have taken a step, maybe a small step but still a step forward. Each was a learning experience, but also was required to be able to move onto 2L where I learned more about writing memos, then I wrote more memos and moved onto 3L and so forth. Each time OP took a leave of absence in the middle of a semester, all the work they did during that semester was for naught, at least in terms of moving up to the next level.

At some point having to restart leads to feelings of hopelessness. There's an old story from the Soviet Union about a political opponent who was sent to a labor camp in Siberia. His hands were tied, and he had a wagon full of bricks attached to his body. He was told that if he made it out of Siberia then he would be freed. The man journeyed day and night, and although he was lugging 100 pounds of bricks he made it 15 miles the first day. He was driven, and so driven he didn't even notice the pain in his back and legs. Then he was picked up by a truck and brought back to the labor camp. The next day he was back On the Road Again, and he made it 20 miles this time before he was picked up and returned to the labor camp. They fed him a nice meal, let him bathe and even had a barber give him a nice shave. The man waited a week, and rested up. He finally set out again, but instead of being reinvigorated, he had no motivation. He made it a half mile before collapsing in the snow, and eventually dying of hypothermia.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:33 pm

BlueLotus you're going to make an excellent mother I hope you have a lot of kids.

jrass

Bronze

Post by jrass » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:20 pm

SBL wrote:BlueLotus you're going to make an excellent mother I hope you have a lot of kids.
She would benefit from having a partner, male or female or an in between, who she complains about the neighbors and other mothers to, but who she respects enough to listen to when they inevitably tell her to put the phone down or to stop hitting the kids. She'd probably love the kids very much and could probably raise a normal child or two as long as she's micromanaged.
Last edited by jrass on Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:21 pm

Dude, that bashing the 4 y.o.'s face in was pretty uncalled for.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:34 pm

jr accidental anon: Fair point. Took it too far, and made the funny unfunny.

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote: At some point having to restart leads to feelings of hopelessness. There's an old story from the Soviet Union about a political opponent who was sent to a labor camp in Siberia. His hands were tied, and he had a wagon full of bricks attached to his body. He was told that if he made it out of Siberia then he would be freed. The man journeyed day and night, and although he was lugging 100 pounds of bricks he made it 15 miles the first day. He was driven, and so driven he didn't even notice the pain in his back and legs. Then he was picked up by a truck and brought back to the labor camp. The next day he was back on the road again, and he made it 20 miles this time before he was picked up and returned to the labor camp. They fed him a nice meal, let him bathe and even had a barber give him a nice shave. The man waited a week, and rested up. He finally set out again, but instead of being reinvigorated, he had no motivation. He made it a half mile before collapsing in the snow, and eventually dying of hypothermia.
LITERALLY my law school experience.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:jr accidental anon: Fair point. Took it too far, and made the funny unfunny.
Any reference to hitting the kids isn't that funny.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:07 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:jr accidental anon: Fair point. Took it too far, and made the funny unfunny.
Any reference to hitting the kids isn't that funny.
I do think she would abuse her kids and be a terrible mother tho.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:22 pm

Which is pretty unfair and doesn't have anything to do with this thread.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Legal Employment”