1L Competing USAO Offers, Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which Offer?

Tax
60%
Criminal
40%

Total votes: 10

Anonymous User

1L Competing USAO Offers,

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:37 pm

PLEASE DON'T QUOTE.

I have competing 1L offers with 2 USAOs. Both are in the same district but are in different branch offices/divisions.

Offer #1
Tax Enforcement in the main USAO in a large district (Think NDCA, CDCA). My resume is heavy on tax experience and I would like work in tax at a when I graduate. From what I was told, the work is not very sexy (mainly prosecuting fraudulent refund claims) and I didn't really click with the division chief all that much during the interview.

Offer #2
Criminal division in a smaller branch office in the same district. I'm not too interested in doing criminal when I graduate but I clicked with the interviewers better. From a practical standpoint, this office is a shorter commute from where I would be living for the summer

I am primarily targeting the district that these internships are going to be in at OCI next year. I would go for the tax position in a heart beat, but from what the interviewer told me, the most sophisticated cases often get settled with the IRS or are handled by DC. Therefore, I wasn't sure if I wanted to sacrifice a shorter commute and work with someone I'm kind of iffy about just so I can put another tax item on my resume.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: 1L Competing USAO Offers,

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:55 pm

Do you know you'll be working with the division chief in the tax gig? In a lot of offices the interns are going to get supervised by line AUSAs (or an intern coordinator who might not even be a lawyer), so how well you clicked with the tax chief may not matter (although if they told you otherwise than disregard this point - different offices do stuff differently).

That said, I agree that most USAOs don't get sexy tax stuff. However, you might get to exercise more responsibility if stuff that does come in the door is fairly routine (less risk having an intern work on routine stuff).

I don't think there is a really wrong decision here - I don't think there are a lot of tax-heavy summer positions floating around, so wanting to do tax but not doing it 1L summer shouldn't look weird. If you think crim sounds more interesting/the commute is better, that's as good a reason as any. Also, working in a smaller office can make it much easier to get to know the attorneys.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:58 pm

Anon above: thanks for the input. I have a feeling I would be working with him, since there are only 2 other people in the tax division in the office.

I'm also leery in general because the CA market has almost no jobs for junior tax associates, so I don't want employers to not give me a job if they dont have openings in tax.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:00 pm

Ahh, yeah, that makes a difference. Honestly I think a position where you got to work with more people than that might be better (though conversely they'd get to know you better and might be stronger advocates in future. Is a puzzlement).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:11 am

bump, anybody else have any thoughts?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

makerbreaker

New

Post by makerbreaker » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:52 am

Was in a very similar situation last year. PM me.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:24 am

I am not a tax lawyer but from what I understand, because they tend to be small/niche, tax groups at firms can be competitive to get into depending on the circumstances. So getting as much experience and demonstrated interest in the subject matter as possible seems smart. If you want to do tax long term, it seems like an easy decision - do the tax internship. The downsides are minor short term issues.

Joscellin

Gold

Post by Joscellin » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:32 pm

I voted Crim before I actually read your post, OP.

Change one of those Crim votes over to Tax, seems like a no-brainer.

cheaptilts

Silver

Post by cheaptilts » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:25 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:I am not a tax lawyer but from what I understand, because they tend to be small/niche, tax groups at firms can be competitive to get into depending on the circumstances. So getting as much experience and demonstrated interest in the subject matter as possible seems smart. If you want to do tax long term, it seems like an easy decision - do the tax internship. The downsides are minor short term issues.
This answer seems so intuitive; I can't imagine how a scenario in which OP shouldn't take the tax gig (absent the distance in commute being like an additional 45 minutes each way or the tax division head being a super sexist/racist)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:27 pm

cheaptilts wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:I am not a tax lawyer but from what I understand, because they tend to be small/niche, tax groups at firms can be competitive to get into depending on the circumstances. So getting as much experience and demonstrated interest in the subject matter as possible seems smart. If you want to do tax long term, it seems like an easy decision - do the tax internship. The downsides are minor short term issues.
This answer seems so intuitive; I can't imagine how a scenario in which OP shouldn't take the tax gig (absent the distance in commute being like an additional 45 minutes each way or the tax division head being a super sexist/racist)
commute is an extra 40 mins away each way. the division chief wasn't too off the wall crazy. in hindsight a lot of tax people are awkward and it's kind of par for the course

cheaptilts

Silver

Post by cheaptilts » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
cheaptilts wrote:
commute is an extra 40 mins away each way. the division chief wasn't too off the wall crazy. in hindsight a lot of tax people are awkward and it's kind of par for the course
if you somehow for sure know you want to do tax, then you should probably do the tax internship to build that narrative now.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”