NYC DA's Office Internship Info Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

NYC DA's Office Internship Info

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:23 pm

Hi, I was wondering if some members can share their experience while interning at a NYC DA's Office (any borough)? (As a 2L).
I wanted to get some insight about the interview process and how the experience was like. Also, what they are looking for and how do grades play a role -Thanks

Anonymous User

Re: NYC DA's Office Internship Info

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:30 am

I interned during Fall and Spring 2L at one of those offices. From what I recall there was a screener interview and then a "exec" type interview. No hypotheticals, but I prepared for some.

I could not land an interview for 1L/2L summer at any office for the life of me, but my school/grades were mediocre at best (Flat 3.0 at a NYC area school below Brooklyn Law).

Grades/school clearly plays a role in getting your foot in the door for the summer internships and eventually the main job interviews, but there are workarounds as I eventually did land an ADA job offer at one of those offices.

As to what to expect and how to succeed? Depends on the office and bureau, but in general:

1) Be nice to everyone.

2) Offer to do shitwork (i.e. run to the courthouse to serve and file motions). My ADAs told me later that they were so pissed at the summer interns for brushing aside tasks like this.

3) Talk about ADA cases and offer to write a part of a motion (i.e. fact section, small part of a legal section, research etc.) Use this to opportunity to draft the entire thing and see how much they can use. You want to both learn NY law & practice and display your ability to meaningfully help them so you don't have to be stuck listening to "jailtape" the whole time.

4) Being in law school and working with junior/misdemeanor trial attorneys, your research and fundamental legal writing skills will ironically be as good, if not better, than there's. In general, they hate writing or responding to motions, but they get performance reviews based on how many they do. If you can take that load off or generate boilerplate for them, they will love you.

5) Here's one that I noticed and I think gave me a leg up. Interns tend to eat lunch at their desk, or away from everyone. It's weird. If you see your section ADAs sitting around at a conference table eating lunch and shooting the shit, join them. They could be talking about a case, or about a funny internet video, either way it's worthwhile.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”