LEGAL SALARY DATAPOINTS Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
techthrowaway

New

Re: LEGAL SALARY DATAPOINTS

Post by techthrowaway » Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:52 pm

PB&J.D. wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:34 pm
For the FAANG anon and techthrowaway, are these first (and only) offer numbers, or did you plan to negotiate? Did you get a sense of whether there’s much room to do so without competing in-house offers?
I bumped up base by $5k, but was told the others were fixed for the level of the role (unsurprising bc my company is a large dinosaur; you can usually negotiate for pre-IPO or smaller public companies). From my experience, market pay for non-FAANG 3YOE averages around $150-160k base/$200k total comp, so I was happy with my package.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:34 am

PB&J.D. wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:34 pm
For the FAANG anon and techthrowaway, are these first (and only) offer numbers, or did you plan to negotiate? Did you get a sense of whether there’s much room to do so without competing in-house offers?
I did negotiate my offer, but only because my recruiter suggested that there was a bit of flexibility (note: my recruiter works for the company--not an agency). My base package didn't change, but I did get an additional $50k sign-on bonus paid on my first paycheck, plus $25k for relocation (there was no relocation package at all when I interviewed). I wouldn't have negotiated if not for the recruiter.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:46 pm

Size: Investment fund
Experience: 4 years
Position: Investment professional
Hours: 50-80+ during live deals
Comp: 150k base + 80-120k bonus; +100k carry next year
Benefits: No fee co-invest, 50% 401k match, free health insurance (single), good other benefits, top tier vacation policy.

synergy

New

Post by synergy » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:46 pm
Size: Investment fund
Experience: 4 years
Position: Investment professional
Hours: 50-80+ during live deals
Comp: 150k base + 80-120k bonus; +100k carry next year
Benefits: No fee co-invest, 50% 401k match, free health insurance (single), good other benefits, top tier vacation policy.
Sounds amazing, can I ask how you transitioned to the investment side? I would appreciate a PM if you're willing to share.

NoLongerALurker

Bronze

Post by NoLongerALurker » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:09 pm

Seen some 4th to 6th year associates exit in house to investment banks lately. What are these people usually landing at? VP I assume? What kind of salary are they getting generally? Anyone know?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chiguy99

New

Post by chiguy99 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:54 pm

NoLongerALurker wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:09 pm
Seen some 4th to 6th year associates exit in house to investment banks lately. What are these people usually landing at? VP I assume? What kind of salary are they getting generally? Anyone know?
bump. Hoping someone can chime in.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:34 pm

NYC Boutique Investment Fund
8 years of experience, some of them Accounting related
$160k Base, $75k Bonus. No fee Coinvestment, free health, vision and dental for me, spouse and two kids. Unlimited vacation. Hours are 40-45 regularly, no weekend work.

My role is what people call middle office. It's basically taking care of all Finance related issues, fund-raising and some legal doc drafting. It's a small Fund, so most likely i'll stay here for a few years and then jump ship to a higher title (and pay :D) role, but it depends. Since we're a small company, and i'm one of the first 20 employees, if we grow and get enough money I can stick around for longer. It helped that I'm also a CPA and had Big 4 experience.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:14 pm

Position: Broad corporate in-house position for a tech company.
Experience: c/o 2017 (M&A)
Comp: $190k base, $10k signing bonus, 10% annual bonus, and decent number of options.
Hours: Typically 9-6ish. Occasionally later, but the exception not the norm. 20 days PTO a year & summer Fridays.

Feels like a good comp package and there's a lot of opportunity for growth, so I'm probably going to take it.

WhatIsLaw69

New

Post by WhatIsLaw69 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:56 am

It's becoming increasingly obvious that the job I want doesn't exist in law, at least right out of school. 45-55 hrs/week, 90-120k (depending on market), vision and dental, etc.

I've been looking to go to law school for a few years now, and I know how bimodal the salary is. Now that all my apps are in, I'm second guessing what's really important to me. What a weird feeling.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:32 pm

-Southeastern real estate private equity firm
-Real estate deal work, fund work, general in house
-Started after 3-4 years at a firm
-$130k base and 15% target bonus
-8:00-4:30/5:00 with very rare weekend work

nealric

Post by nealric » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:07 am

WhatIsLaw69 wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:56 am
It's becoming increasingly obvious that the job I want doesn't exist in law, at least right out of school. 45-55 hrs/week, 90-120k (depending on market), vision and dental, etc.

I've been looking to go to law school for a few years now, and I know how bimodal the salary is. Now that all my apps are in, I'm second guessing what's really important to me. What a weird feeling.
It does exist- it's just rare. There are a small number of large companies that hire straight out of law school in this salary range, and some regional biglaw/midlaw firms that do as well and could plausibly be 50-55 hour a week jobs. If you are willing to do 3-4years in biglaw, the universe of jobs in this pay/hours range opens considerably (federal government, in-house).

WhatIsLaw69

New

Post by WhatIsLaw69 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:05 pm

nealric wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:07 am
WhatIsLaw69 wrote:

It does exist- it's just rare. There are a small number of large companies that hire straight out of law school in this salary range, and some regional biglaw/midlaw firms that do as well and could plausibly be 50-55 hour a week jobs. If you are willing to do 3-4years in biglaw, the universe of jobs in this pay/hours range opens considerably (federal government, in-house).
Thanks for this. Everywhere (not just TLS) makes biglaw seem so unbelievably awful. I'm fortunate enough to not have to worry very much about debt due to veteran's benefits, so a traditional motivation for seeking such a job isn't there. That biglaw salary without student debt would probably be pretty nice, though. I'm only truly competitive at T20-30, so getting a biglaw job may be a moot point anyway.

I don't know. I have some soul searching to do. I value TLS' honesty.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:52 pm

WhatIsLaw69 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:05 pm
nealric wrote:
WhatIsLaw69 wrote:

Thanks for this. Everywhere (not just TLS) makes biglaw seem so unbelievably awful. I'm fortunate enough to not have to worry very much about debt due to veteran's benefits, so a traditional motivation for seeking such a job isn't there. That biglaw salary without student debt would probably be pretty nice, though. I'm only truly competitive at T20-30, so getting a biglaw job may be a moot point anyway.

Biglaw objectively sucks, but an important thing to remember is that a vocal minority of biglawyers hail from comfy UMC backgrounds and went KJD from a Ivy+ college where you could get A-s with your thumb up your ass to a T13 law school where median is enough for biglaw. They're hard workers, in a Type-A way, but they never truly had to grind until they became first-year associates, and it hits them like a ton of bricks. And they don't know how to deal with it because the same social forces that got them here are telling them to gun for pathern.

It's a lot more survivable if you go in clear-eyed, with some full-time work experience under your belt, and you have a meaningful exit strategy.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

WhatIsLaw69

New

Post by WhatIsLaw69 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:10 am

The Lsat Airbender wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:52 pm
WhatIsLaw69 wrote:
nealric wrote:
WhatIsLaw69 wrote:

Biglaw objectively sucks, but an important thing to remember is that a vocal minority of biglawyers hail from comfy UMC backgrounds and went KJD from a Ivy+ college where you could get A-s with your thumb up your ass to a T13 law school where median is enough for biglaw. They're hard workers, in a Type-A way, but they never truly had to grind until they became first-year associates, and it hits them like a ton of bricks. And they don't know how to deal with it because the same social forces that got them here are telling them to gun for pathern.

It's a lot more survivable if you go in clear-eyed, with some full-time work experience under your belt, and you have a meaningful exit strategy.
I really appreciate this, thank you. It makes alot of sense. I guess no matter how bad things get, I'd still be in an air conditioned office, doing office work, for almost four times the pay.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:31 pm

It seems like a lot of people are making bank in house. For some perspective, I’m pulling in 145K with good benefits but no bonus/equity (at least for now) at a public company near but not in a major market. Awesome hours, rarely ever any night or weekend work. Broke out of biglaw during my third year. Not the crazy money others are getting but you can’t put a price on your happiness and sanity.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:47 am

Position: small (~100 employees) HF investment analyst
Experience: Out of law school (never took the bar, but job is JD-advantage because of bankruptcy debt investing, also have MBA)
Location: SF - moving to WFH permanently so technically anywhere with a stable broadband Internet connection
Hours: 40-50 hours or more - it's up to you
Comp: 200K base, unlimited bonus potential based on performance of investments
Benefits: 6 weeks paid vacation, 100% 401K match up to 5% of base salary, full health insurance (never used it, but paystub says it costs the company $800 per month)

WhatIsLaw69

New

Post by WhatIsLaw69 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:47 am
Position: small (~100 employees) HF investment analyst
Experience: Out of law school (never took the bar, but job is JD-advantage because of bankruptcy debt investing, also have MBA)
Location: SF - moving to WFH permanently so technically anywhere with a stable broadband Internet connection
Hours: 40-50 hours or more - it's up to you
Comp: 200K base, unlimited bonus potential based on performance of investments
Benefits: 6 weeks paid vacation, 100% 401K match up to 5% of base salary, full health insurance (never used it, but paystub says it costs the company $800 per month)
School tier? And would this type of work be possible without the MBA?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Tenryu

New

Post by Tenryu » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:39 pm

WhatIsLaw69 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:22 pm

School tier? And would this type of work be possible without the MBA?
T6. Yes, but you'll have more options coming out of an MBA program.

Sackboy

Silver

Post by Sackboy » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:31 pm
I’m pulling in 145K . . . not in a major market
You'll find that a lot of the people on here (though, not all) making $200-$300k are located in major markets with HCOL. Their $250k is your $145k.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:23 pm

Industry: large public healthcare company
Experience: 4 years small and midlaw
Position: corporate counsel
Hours: approx 9-6 with almost no weekend work. Been WFH since start but not sure how long that will last.
Comp: $165k base + 20% bonus. $10K cash relocation bonus. $75K in company stock at hire w/ 4 yr vest.
Benefits: Typical package (okay premiums) + company paid supplemental insurance for execs
Work: Legal team is just GC and myself. M&A + general in house.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:54 pm

Put this in the In-House salary thread a while ago but just saw this one pop up as well, so I'll share here.

Industry: Non-banking F100 financial company
Experience: 0, entering next fall after graduation
Position: Associate, going to rotate through the various legal department groups
Hours: Not sure, but based on my time there this summer, can't imagine it's more than in the 40-50 range
Comp: $115k base, $10k signing bonus, up to $8200 performance
Benefits: 9% 401k, good deals on healthcare/dental/vision, 24 days PTO

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:11 am

Made a move during COVID times, and hope this could help folks in the senior associate/counsel range:

Industry: White collar/healthcare
Experience: 8-10 years, including both biglaw and in-house time. Made the move from an in-house role, though.
Position: Counsel at a lower V100 firm
Hours: Seems like it's around 1900-2100. More than I worked in-house, but less than I did in biglaw. Bizdev time counts as billable, though, so that makes a big difference
Comp: Around 300,000 base, with a 100,000 expected bonus, plus business credit for matters brought in
Benefits: Fairly standard, except it also includes a decent 401(k) match I didn't see at other firms

feminist.supporter

New

Post by feminist.supporter » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:41 pm

The Lsat Airbender wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:52 pm
WhatIsLaw69 wrote:
nealric wrote:
WhatIsLaw69 wrote:

THIS.

THIS IS ON POINT. Too many over-achievers in T14s that are just so out of touch with reality and being in that environment really makes one lose perspective on life.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:37 am

Industry: Hedge Fund
Experience: 9-11 years. 5 years at a firm prior to going in-house.
Position: Legal Counsel
Hours: Roughly 50-55 hours/week.
Comp: 180k base, roughly 600k bonus.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:37 am
Industry: Hedge Fund
Experience: 9-11 years. 5 years at a firm prior to going in-house.
Position: Legal Counsel
Hours: Roughly 50-55 hours/week.
Comp: 180k base, roughly 600k bonus.
How do you get 600K bonus? It's only possible when you get carry as a in-house counsel which is unheard of..?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”