LEGAL SALARY DATAPOINTS Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
JohnMaynardKeynes

New

Re: LEGAL SALARY DATAPOINTS

Post by JohnMaynardKeynes » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Size: Investment Fund
Experience: 2017 grad
Practice area: Private Equity
Position: Associate (non-legal)
Hours: 35-80 depending on week, don’t work weekends
Comp: 120 + (50-150% of salary bonus), 3750 401k match, fully paid insurance + 2400 spend, don’t pay for lunch, 25+ days of PTO on top of vacation, no fee co-invest rights
Hi, very interested. Could you please PM me, thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:54 am

Position: Lit. Associate, AMLAW 200
Experience: 6th Year
Salary: $200K + secondary bonus ($10-15K)
Hours: 1900

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:55 pm

Position: Manager Regulatory Compliance/Consultant (niche area)
Experience: 4.5 Years
Salary: $165,000 + 10% Bonus + generous 401K Match and Pension

Also, graduated lower half of my law school class (not proud but shows that law school stats are not the end all/be all)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:57 pm

Recently changed firms. Here are the details.
Position: (now) L&E Litigation; (prior) General Civil Litigation [small firm; ~20 attorneys]
Salary: (now) $155k + 25% base salary bonus [I believe raises are $10k increments only]; (prior) $95k + insignificant bonus ($500 last Christmas).
Hours: (now) 2200, lots of work to do, usually 8-6:30 + occasionally login at night; (prior) expected 1960 (160/month), but because workload was inconsistent (had to inform partners of light workload every month to seek additional assignments), I billed about 130-150 a month.

Comment: Main difference between the two is the workload. Let me tell you, the days are absolutely dreadful when (1) you don't have work to do and are sitting around waiting for assignments and (2) you're doing crappy cases that you have no interest whatsoever. However, I did not have much of a choice as to my first legal job--I didn't get a biglaw position from OCI [only about 5 people from my class got it; which is expected from my school], so I had to take whatever firm decided to offer me.

I think my current firm has pretty good worklife balance... though some of my friends in biglaw are killing it with the same hours (8-6:30). Yet they get paid significantly more. I think the biglaw workload in SF is significant less intense than in NY. No friends in NY so I cannot confirm. But if that's the case, I'd probably shoot for biglaw in about 3-5 years.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Location: Phoenix

Also, graduated lower half of my law school class (not proud but shows that law school stats are not the end all/be all)
wow congrats. you win at life (no sarcasm). you probably have a better lifestyle than most of my biglaw partners.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Patriot29

New

Post by Patriot29 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:37 pm

Interesting. We have very similar stats:

Position: Regulatory Compliance/Consultant (niche area)
Experience: 4 years as a licensed attorney in niche area, 9 years of total industry experience
Salary: $100k + 10% bonus + 401K match and pension

Can you please shoot me a PM if you see this? I'm interested to learn about your role and how you got there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:17 am

Patriot29 wrote:

Interesting. We have very similar stats:

Position: Regulatory Compliance/Consultant (niche area)
Experience: 4 years as a licensed attorney in niche area, 9 years of total industry experience
Salary: $100k + 10% bonus + 401K match and pension

Can you please shoot me a PM if you see this? I'm interested to learn about your role and how you got there.
Hey,

happy to answer any questions. I tried to send you a PM but it appears I am unable to send PMs at this time due to insufficient user activity (on my part). Can you try and send me a pm. Thanks!

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey,

happy to answer any questions. I tried to send you a PM but it appears I am unable to send PMs at this time due to insufficient user activity (on my part). Can you try and send me a pm. Thanks!
Regular users can't PM anonymous posters. But, if you want, I can PM your username to Patriot29. Let me know.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:16 pm

QContinuum wrote:

Regular users can't PM anonymous posters. But, if you want, I can PM your username to Patriot29. Let me know.
Yes, please. I would really appreciate it!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
QContinuum wrote:

Yes, please. I would really appreciate it!
Sent. I also told Patriot that you wouldn't be able to respond to their PM on TLS (since you haven't made 5 non-anonymous TLS posts yet), so recommended that they include their email address in their PM to you if they'd like to hear back.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:40 pm

Size: Federal Government
Experience: 5 years
Practice: General Agency Practice
Hours: 40-45 hours/week
Compensation: $86,179
Benefits: Health/vision/dental, 5% TSP match, gym

Notes: consistently get good performance reviews, but management is extremely stingy about raises. I'm interviewing for new jobs, since it's clear to me that I'm getting taken advantage of by my current employer.

clarion

Bronze

Post by clarion » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Size: Federal Government

Notes: consistently get good performance reviews, but management is extremely stingy about raises. I'm interviewing for new jobs, since it's clear to me that I'm getting taken advantage of by my current employer.
Wow. Fed Gov attorney here and shocked that you're being compensated that little, in DC, after 5 years. Is your job technically non-legal or something? Or am I misunderstanding when you say that the "size" of your employer is "Fed Gov"? Because while I've heard of attorneys in some agencies only laddering to GS-13 before they start going up the steps, even that is rare and seemed wild to me. Best of luck to you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:42 pm

clarion wrote:

Wow. Fed Gov attorney here and shocked that you're being compensated that little, in DC, after 5 years. Is your job technically non-legal or something? Or am I misunderstanding when you say that the "size" of your employer is "Fed Gov"? Because while I've heard of attorneys in some agencies only laddering to GS-13 before they start going up the steps, even that is rare and seemed wild to me. Best of luck to you.
Legal and federal government, believe it or not. I started out in a very niche agency (specific skillset that isn't easily translatable), so they were able to have a slower grade progression without worrying about the attorneys jumping ship. And so when I left, I wasn't eligible for very many positions as a result of time-in-grade requirements. Now I'm in a more general practice, and even though they're happy to increase responsibilities and expectations, they expect multiple years per grade, and always start low. Unsurprisingly, there are major issues when it comes to staff retention (low salaries create an incentive to leave, and high responsibilities make it easier to get better offers).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

clarion

Bronze

Post by clarion » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
clarion wrote:

Legal and federal government, believe it or not. I started out in a very niche agency (specific skillset that isn't easily translatable), so they were able to have a slower grade progression without worrying about the attorneys jumping ship. And so when I left, I wasn't eligible for very many positions as a result of time-in-grade requirements. Now I'm in a more general practice, and even though they're happy to increase responsibilities and expectations, they expect multiple years per grade, and always start low. Unsurprisingly, there are major issues when it comes to staff retention (low salaries create an incentive to leave, and high responsibilities make it easier to get better offers).
Yikes--really sorry to hear that. Your failure to get boosted up even after leaving because of time-in-grade is peak-bureaucratic insanity. Hopefully you've gotten experience now that you can argue is "GS-13 or equivalent" experience. Good luck with your interviewing and apps!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:17 pm

in case anyone is interested in the region:

MT/ND/SD/WY at the best firms* 1st years can expect $70k-$90k; senior associates that are not partner probably max out somewhere around $120k-$135k
On the flip side, the hours requirement is pretty low, 40-50 hours a week is totally normal.
[+] Spoiler
best firms include local 'powerhouse' firms like Crowley Fleck or Vogel, regional offices of biglaw firms like Fredrickson Byron or Dorsey Whitney or Ballard Spahr with only a handful of staff, and large or highly respected single-town firms

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:54 pm

Size: <10
Salary: 65K
Benefits: full medical, dental, vision; 4 weeks vacation; unlimited sick; 10 holidays; 401k
Position: associate at plaintiff's side L&E
Hours: no billable usually 10-5/6 no weekends
1st year of practice, just graduated in May
no student loans

HarrisonK

New

Post by HarrisonK » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Size: <10
Salary: 65K
Benefits: full medical, dental, vision; 4 weeks vacation; unlimited sick; 10 holidays; 401k
Position: associate at plaintiff's side L&E
Hours: no billable usually 10-5/6 no weekends
1st year of practice, just graduated in May
no student loans
Can you PM me? I'm a current NJ law clerk looking for firms for another law clerk interested in L&E. Would love to recommend your firm to her.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:09 am

a) Big4 tax (non-legal)
b) 5 years (no prior experience)
c) non-NYC large metro area
d) $200K w/ $20K+ annual bonus

hours: 40-65 hrs/wk (approx.1500 billable hours/yr requirement, but substantial non-billable hours expected.)
equity partner opportunities: positive
lateral opportunities: positive

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:a) Big4 tax (non-legal)
b) 5 years (no prior experience)
c) non-NYC large metro area
d) $200K w/ $20K+ annual bonus

hours: 40-65 hrs/wk (approx.1500 billable hours/yr requirement, but substantial non-billable hours expected.)
equity partner opportunities: positive
lateral opportunities: positive
Would love to hear your comp progression. I'm starting in NYC (M&A/ITS) at $125k + $10K LLM bonus, but I can't find anything about comp progression.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:19 am

Phoenix
Litigation-Municipal work, Insurance Defense, Plaintiffs work.
4 Lawyers
87000/year with 3–5k bonus
2nd year Associate
5% 401K Contribution
180hr/month billable requirement

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 10, 2020 5:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:57 pm
Recently changed firms. Here are the details.
Position: (now) L&E Litigation; (prior) General Civil Litigation [small firm; ~20 attorneys]
Experience: Going into 2nd year. Grad from TT/TTT.
Salary: (now) $155k + 25% base salary bonus [I believe raises are $10k increments only]; (prior) $95k + insignificant bonus ($500 last Christmas).
Hours: (now) 2200, lots of work to do, usually 8-6:30 + occasionally login at night; (prior) expected 1960 (160/month), but because workload was inconsistent (had to inform partners of light workload every month to seek additional assignments), I billed about 130-150 a month.

Comment: Main difference between the two is the workload. Let me tell you, the days are absolutely dreadful when (1) you don't have work to do and are sitting around waiting for assignments and (2) you're doing crappy cases that you have no interest whatsoever. However, I did not have much of a choice as to my first legal job--I didn't get a biglaw position from OCI [only about 5 people from my class got it; which is expected from my school], so I had to take whatever firm decided to offer me.

I think my current firm has pretty good worklife balance... though some of my friends in biglaw are killing it with the same hours (8-6:30). Yet they get paid significantly more. I think the biglaw workload in SF is significant less intense than in NY. No friends in NY so I cannot confirm. But if that's the case, I'd probably shoot for biglaw in about 3-5 years.

Can you share which firm you're at?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

worklifewhat

New

Post by worklifewhat » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:27 pm

Experience: 6 years of experience
Position: Employment in-house counsel
Pay: $150k. Raises are ~5%/year, no bonuses, decent number of shares
Hours: Usually 9-6 and rarely weekends

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:09 pm

Experience: 3-4 years
Position: Associate at a boutique
Pay: $210k. Lock-step raises that cap at $300k. Market bonus at 2000 hours. Above market for significantly more hours.
Hours: 9-7, work some weekends

AllyMcBail

New

Post by AllyMcBail » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:32 pm

worklifewhat wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:27 pm
Experience: 6 years of experience
Position: Employment in-house counsel
Pay: $150k. Raises are ~5%/year, no bonuses, decent number of shares
Hours: Usually 9-6 and rarely weekends
Nice. Where did you get the 6 years of experience?

Sporty1911

New

Post by Sporty1911 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:09 pm
Experience: 3-4 years
Position: Associate at a boutique
Pay: $210k. Lock-step raises that cap at $300k. Market bonus at 2000 hours. Above market for significantly more hours.
Hours: 9-7, work some weekends
Which practice area, if you can say?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”