LEGAL SALARY DATAPOINTS Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Re: LEGAL SALARY DATAPOINTS

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:15 pm

Definitely Not North wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:24 am
Obviously not a ton of datapoints to benchmark against, but that seems SHOCKINGLY low (and no equity???) for a GC role at what sounds like a big-ish company that likely has a fair amount of legal issues that will keep you busy/stressed.
Agree. GC at a company like that should be getting a C-level compensation package (i.e. only substantially behind the CEO and maybe CFO). I'd ask what others are making at that tier of the org chart.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:40 am

The Lsat Airbender wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:15 pm
Definitely Not North wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:24 am
Obviously not a ton of datapoints to benchmark against, but that seems SHOCKINGLY low (and no equity???) for a GC role at what sounds like a big-ish company that likely has a fair amount of legal issues that will keep you busy/stressed.
Agree. GC at a company like that should be getting a C-level compensation package (i.e. only substantially behind the CEO and maybe CFO). I'd ask what others are making at that tier of the org chart.
In-house and GC comps run the spectrum, so I can sympathize. This Board is a younger audience, and I'm an oldish (45) attorney, but I encourage the group to look beyond the FAANG and traded companies if what you want is a "lifestyle" job that pays decently. The sweet spot is the company with $300-750 million in revenue. Within this group, comp is seldom standardized between the spectrum of similar companies. You're often the first lawyer of a growing company, or they're looking to get to that next phase of growth. There's an element of luck + sweat equity finding the right job, but it's out there.

My stats:

I started at non-Vault boutique as a commercial litigator, but ended at 50-100 firm prior to transition. I'm a GC for a home office. Total comp is $700-800k depending on the year, all cash (about 2x from when I started three years ago). My hours vary, and I do check email off-hours and weekends, but I don't do any heavy lifting when I'm not in the office, but never more than 45-50 a week. I safely say that most of my weeks are low 40 hour-ish. I don't think my position is exceptionally rare.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:17 pm

I am the RE GC OP above. Agree that my comp is unfortunately extremely below market, but probably not too far below those outside the tech/VC-backed/high-growth companies. No one at my company has equity because we are all employees of a subsidiary of the public co, so I don't believe I am missing out on anything in that regard here (but obviously that's likely not the case with my colleagues at other companies). Right now a lot of real estate developers are under financial strain, and I think my initial comp is indicative of that. That being said, I'm hopeful that come the start of 2022 I will have some leverage to negotiate a substantial pay raise based on (x) the company's overall performance and (y) my individual performance.
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:40 am
In-house and GC comps run the spectrum, so I can sympathize. This Board is a younger audience, and I'm an oldish (45) attorney, but I encourage the group to look beyond the FAANG and traded companies if what you want is a "lifestyle" job that pays decently. The sweet spot is the company with $300-750 million in revenue. Within this group, comp is seldom standardized between the spectrum of similar companies. You're often the first lawyer of a growing company, or they're looking to get to that next phase of growth. There's an element of luck + sweat equity finding the right job, but it's out there.

My stats:

I started at non-Vault boutique as a commercial litigator, but ended at 50-100 firm prior to transition. I'm a GC for a home office. Total comp is $700-800k depending on the year, all cash (about 2x from when I started three years ago). My hours vary, and I do check email off-hours and weekends, but I don't do any heavy lifting when I'm not in the office, but never more than 45-50 a week. I safely say that most of my weeks are low 40 hour-ish. I don't think my position is exceptionally rare.
This is the dream. I'm not working 24/7/365, but I do answer e-mails on occasion at night and on weekends and my duties extend far beyond my vertical (for a myriad of reasons). Do you mind explaining how you were able to double your salary after being there only three years? Per my note above, your results are what I'm hoping to relatively achieve at some point during my tenure.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:17 pm
I am the RE GC OP above. Agree that my comp is unfortunately extremely below market, but probably not too far below those outside the tech/VC-backed/high-growth companies. No one at my company has equity because we are all employees of a subsidiary of the public co, so I don't believe I am missing out on anything in that regard here (but obviously that's likely not the case with my colleagues at other companies). Right now a lot of real estate developers are under financial strain, and I think my initial comp is indicative of that. That being said, I'm hopeful that come the start of 2022 I will have some leverage to negotiate a substantial pay raise based on (x) the company's overall performance and (y) my individual performance.
Anonymous User wrote:

My stats:

This is the dream. I'm not working 24/7/365, but I do answer e-mails on occasion at night and on weekends and my duties extend far beyond my vertical (for a myriad of reasons). Do you mind explaining how you were able to double your salary after being there only three years? Per my note above, your results are what I'm hoping to relatively achieve at some point during my tenure.
Poster from 376211.

When I joined our mid-sized home office, we lacked the structure of a large organization in all respects. There's the familiar elbowing for face time with other C-suites and Board, which allowed for more face time and getting the right ppl to know who I am. In addition to cutting outside legal spend, I cautiously assumed more operations and revenue related projects. Some panned out, some didn't. But that I engaged these projects allowed other operators to see me as an extension of operations, and not an encumbrance.

During my first annual review 1.5 years after arrival, when the really large comp. adjustment took place, I was able to show the value add to the organization from various data points (in addition to the soft accretive contributions that won't show up on a balance sheet). I will say that I was fairly confident coming into the review that I would receive a large adjustment based upon what confidants shared with me, so I brought with me the appropriate compensation surveys. From what you say, your organization may have some bureaucratic barriers I didn't face, so it'll be a bigger challenge. Help drive the business and revenue whatever ways we/you can. It's true that legal is a cost center, but if that's the default position that a GC accepts, the C-suite will never see you as anything else beyond that. As with any organization, finding the right champions and having supporters help. As you see, and in short: a lot of luck, a lot of guile, the right organization, and the appriopriate level of aggression. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:58 pm

Experience: 6 years (c/o 2015)
Position: Gov't line attorney
Hours: 9-5, no weekends
Comp: 165k base, 15-30k bonus

Increasingly jealous of all the Big Law salary movement, but feel very content with my hours and the $ is, at the moment, more than enough for my lifestyle.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:58 pm
Experience: 6 years (c/o 2015)
Position: Gov't line attorney
Comp: 165k base, 15-30k bonus

Increasingly jealous of all the Big Law salary movement, but feel very content with my hours and the $ is, at the moment, more than enough for my lifestyle.
Wow. Are you very high up in your office? Seems like great pay for government

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:36 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

My stats:

Poster from 376211.

When I joined our mid-sized home office, we lacked the structure of a large organization in all respects. There's the familiar elbowing for face time with other C-suites and Board, which allowed for more face time and getting the right ppl to know who I am. In addition to cutting outside legal spend, I cautiously assumed more operations and revenue related projects. Some panned out, some didn't. But that I engaged these projects allowed other operators to see me as an extension of operations, and not an encumbrance.

During my first annual review 1.5 years after arrival, when the really large comp. adjustment took place, I was able to show the value add to the organization from various data points (in addition to the soft accretive contributions that won't show up on a balance sheet). I will say that I was fairly confident coming into the review that I would receive a large adjustment based upon what confidants shared with me, so I brought with me the appropriate compensation surveys. From what you say, your organization may have some bureaucratic barriers I didn't face, so it'll be a bigger challenge. Help drive the business and revenue whatever ways we/you can. It's true that legal is a cost center, but if that's the default position that a GC accepts, the C-suite will never see you as anything else beyond that. As with any organization, finding the right champions and having supporters help. As you see, and in short: a lot of luck, a lot of guile, the right organization, and the appriopriate level of aggression. Good luck!
Thank you for this. Just to clarify, when you say “home office” are you referring to one of your company’s main offices or a family office (like a fund). Thanks

threetwentyeight

New

Post by threetwentyeight » Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:56 pm

Just a lowly 0L piping in...

It would be helpful if you guys would post what your practice area is/what you specialized in at your first gigs before lateraling, if possible. Pretty please? :mrgreen: :oops:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:41 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:36 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

My stats:

Poster from 376211.

Thank you for this. Just to clarify, when you say “home office” are you referring to one of your company’s main offices or a family office (like a fund). Thanks

We're a family office.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

techthrowaway

New

Post by techthrowaway » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:04 pm

techthrowaway wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:04 pm
Position: Commercial/product counsel at non-FAANG public tech company
Experience: 4 years (3 years big-law general corporate)
Salary: 175k base + 20% bonus + $40k RSUs (4 year vest, refreshed annually)
Hours: <40 hours/week
I received a promo and my new comp is about 205k base + 25% bonus + same RSUs (stock price has been flat). I don't enjoy my job anymore (it's turned into mostly boring vendor/procurement stuff), so I'll be hitting the job market.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:20 am

I'm in insurance so I think the compensation is much lower than other industries. I came from a lower ranked school and firm so going in-house was difficult. Note this is not a "staff counsel" position or a captive law firm.

Position: Counsel (Corporate governance, contracts, compliance) at insurance company
Experience: 10 years total, but 7 years was spent litigating. I got this job through random luck
Salary: $135K +25% bonus + $6K stock
Hours: <40 hours/week. Work/life balance is great

Does anyone else work in insurance? Curious on comp.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:22 pm

Experience: 7 years (c/o 2014)
Position: in-house counsel
Comp: 160k base, 55-65k bonus, no equity

Pretty solid comp for the effort required, but went from regional Biglaw to in-house - and I am bored out of my mind.

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:46 pm

That's pretty good, assuming Florida.

What industry?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:12 pm

1styearlateral wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:46 pm
That's pretty good, assuming Florida.

What industry?
OP from above. Not Florida, thankfully. Manufacturing industry. Charlotte/Memphis/Atlanta.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:36 pm

Just received an offer from a public tech company in Texas.

c/o 2016 from a lower ranking state school
Base: 175k
Equity: 120k/4yrs
No bonus
Corporate commercial role

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:26 pm

Small national firm in south Florida (~30 attorneys total)
1st year associate
Base: $150k
Minium Hours: 2000

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:24 pm

Midlaw in midsized city in the heartland.
Experience: First legal job out of school
Position: General Litigation
Hours: 8:30ish-5:30ish, no weekends, no billables
Comp: 85k base, 5k bonus. Firm puts3% salary into 401k.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:45 pm

6th year corp associate at a V10. Considering two separate offers, and very torn:

Option 1:
Position: M&A, finance industry
Hours: Unclear. I've been told "better than biglaw, but definitely not a 9-5". I expect frequent night and weekend work.
Comp: 300k base, 50% bonus, all-in = 450k

Option 2:
Position: Counsel for startup
Hours: 9-5, no weekends.
Comp: 180k base, 15% bonus, all-in = 207k

Having a very hard time with this decision. The comp difference is massive, but that might be offset by the cost of living and taxes in NYC, and also a true full remote 9-5 seems like a rare lifestyle opportunity.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:45 pm
6th year corp associate at a V10. Considering two separate offers, and very torn:

Option 1:
Position: M&A, finance industry
Hours: Unclear. I've been told "better than biglaw, but definitely not a 9-5". I expect frequent night and weekend work.
Comp: 300k base, 50% bonus, all-in = 450k

Option 2:
Position: Counsel for startup
Hours: 9-5, no weekends.
Comp: 180k base, 15% bonus, all-in = 207k

Having a very hard time with this decision. The comp difference is massive, but that might be offset by the cost of living and taxes in NYC, and also a true full remote 9-5 seems like a rare lifestyle opportunity.
For option 2, what is the equity component? No reason to take that kind of comp unless you are getting serious upside potential with equity. In these two - I would take the second option if there is a potential windfall with equity and you believed in the company, if not, option 1 is fine if you already live/want to live in NYC, if not I would wait for the next one.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:13 pm

I work as a Judicial Law Clerk/Staff Attorney for a state district court in the Midwest.

I am one year out of school and make $28.35 an hour. Total package of close to 70k (59k salary + ~10k in pension/insurance premiums).

I work about 30-40 hours a week, depending on trial schedules.

I went to a TTTT law school, so my options are limited to small firms or solo. Small firms in my area pay roughly 70k + bonuses, so its hard to justify leaving this job to work twice as many hours. Any career clerks on here who can weigh in on whether they are happy or not? Thank you!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:44 pm

2013 grad from T50.

In house counsel at national RE company.

Base: 240k
Bonus: target 25% of base
Equity: 50k/year with 3 year vesting schedule.
Other: 6% 401k match

Hours average to be 8:00 am - 5:30pm with some weekend work.

MCOL city.

Feel pretty fortunate.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:59 pm

GC of early stage biotech start-up
Salary: 205k
Bonus: none
Equity: ~1% fully diluted shares, 5 years vesting
PTO: unlimited
Hours: equivalent to 9-5, but very flexible on when during the day/night I work. Mostly remote, I come into the office roughly twice a month.
# years legal experience: 11

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:59 pm
GC of early stage biotech start-up
Salary: 205k
Bonus: none
Equity: ~1% fully diluted shares, 5 years vesting
PTO: unlimited
Hours: equivalent to 9-5, but very flexible on when during the day/night I work. Mostly remote, I come into the office roughly twice a month.
# years legal experience: 11
Curious how you ended up in this role? Did you leave directly from a big firm? What was your practice area?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:28 am
Curious how you ended up in this role? Did you leave directly from a big firm? What was your practice area?

I started at a big firm, but I was in-house at a multinational company just before moving to this position. My practice area is IP. They were originally looking for IP counsel only but I upsold myself into the GC role because I have broad experience (and I knew that they would inevitably ask me to handle all legal stuff regardless of my official duties).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:48 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:28 am

I started at a big firm, but I was in-house at a multinational company just before moving to this position. My practice area is IP. They were originally looking for IP counsel only but I upsold myself into the GC role because I have broad experience (and I knew that they would inevitably ask me to handle all legal stuff regardless of my official duties).
Curious what broad experience helped you land either of the in-house roles you’ve had. Asking as a Junior IP associated at a big firm whose heard it’s really hard to make the IP/in-house jump.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”