Arbitration Practice Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Shelled

New

Arbitration Practice

Post by Shelled » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:45 pm

First time poster and relatively new reader.

I wanted to post some questions to those of you who currently have or work in an arbitration practice. It doesn't have to be 100% of your practice just as long as you are somewhat familiar or experienced in that area:

1. Do you enjoy arbitrations, if so why?

2. What types of cases do you arbitrate?

3. Do you use the American Arbitratiom Association?

4. How do you get into the arbitration pratice?

5. What are some advantages and disadvantages to practicing in arbitration?

Go ahead and feel free to touch on anything else arbitration related that you want to share.

Shelled

New

Re: Arbitration Practice

Post by Shelled » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:24 am

Bumping to hopefully get some views and comments today.

katxyz

New

Post by katxyz » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:46 am

I'm an international arbitration lawyer (counsel at a DC firm). I think it would help if you explained a bit more about your interests/concerns etc and then perhaps I can assist further.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:23 am

Do you have any advice for someone trying to break into the International Arbitration field? I am a 2L at a T2. Top 25%. Right now I am a research assistant working on the Restatement of the Law, The U.S. Law of International Commercial Arbitration. I have only had one callback at a large firm that practices in the area.

I am considering going on to get an LLM at a better school (Texas, NYU, something like that).

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:28 am

katxyz wrote:I'm an international arbitration lawyer (counsel at a DC firm). I think it would help if you explained a bit more about your interests/concerns etc and then perhaps I can assist further.
Are you open to questions generally?

(Interested practicing attorney)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

katxyz

New

Post by katxyz » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:44 pm

Good Guy Gaud wrote:
katxyz wrote:I'm an international arbitration lawyer (counsel at a DC firm). I think it would help if you explained a bit more about your interests/concerns etc and then perhaps I can assist further.

Sure

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:52 pm

katxyz wrote:
Good Guy Gaud wrote:

Sure
Have you ever dealt with gamesmanship in an arbitration? If so, how do you typically deal with it and is there anything that attorneys who aren't 'playing the games' can do to (1) stop the gamesmanship or (2) bring it to the arbitrator's attention without seeming like a cry-baby?

In my limited experience, it seems like there is a general disrespect for the arbitration process particularly when the arbitration involves out of state counsel going up against each other. Lack of professional courtesy, discovery abuse, and unreasonable delays to name a few. For an attorney not playing those games, it gets a bit frustrating to say the least.

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Post by lacrossebrother » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:55 pm

Gaud, could you clarify what you mean by gamesmanship? Like, you cite discovery abuse, etc. --but what makes that a game?

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:04 pm

lacrossebrother wrote:Gaud, could you clarify what you mean by gamesmanship? Like, you cite discovery abuse, etc. --but what makes that a game?
Maybe gamesmanship isn't the right word.

I'm trying to refer to situations in which an attorney will use tactics to win the case/prevent evidence from coming in that wouldn't really fly in federal court but may have a better chance at working in arbitration because of the lack of general guidelines around things (objecting to practically anything and everything, refusing to accommodate witness schedules, general lack of cooperation). AAA Employment Rules, for example, are blandAF when it comes to any real structure or guidelines on discovery and motion practice and in at least two arbitrations where the arbitrators haven't firmly set guidelines abuse just seems to run rampant.

Anecdotal for sure, but that's why I'm asking.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:07 pm

Good Guy Gaud wrote:
lacrossebrother wrote:Gaud, could you clarify what you mean by gamesmanship? Like, you cite discovery abuse, etc. --but what makes that a game?

I'm trying to refer to situations in which an attorney will use tactics to win the case/prevent evidence from coming in that wouldn't really fly in federal court but may have a better chance at working in arbitration because of the lack of general guidelines around things (objecting to practically anything and everything, refusing to accommodate witness schedules, general lack of cooperation). AAA Employment Rules, for example, are blandAF when it comes to any real structure or guidelines on discovery and motion practice and in at least two arbitrations where the arbitrators haven't firmly set guidelines abuse just seems to run rampant.

I don't think I can really speak to this. I do international arbitration (both international commercial disputes and investment treaty arbitration) but I have little experience in domestic arbitration.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Good Guy Gaud wrote:

I don't think I can really speak to this. I do international arbitration (both international commercial disputes and investment treaty arbitration) but I have little experience in domestic arbitration.
I'm the previous poster but for some reason it came up as "anonymous"

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Good Guy Gaud wrote:

I'm the previous poster but for some reason it came up as "anonymous"
NP. I thought there might be a chance you wouldn't be able to answer given your practice area. I appreciate the offer, though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”