Chattanooga Market Pay Scale Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Chattanooga Market Pay Scale

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:41 pm

The two leading firms in Chattanooga (by my measure anyway) are Miller Martin and Baker Donelson. From what I understand, they both pay first years $95k/year. But that is all I know. Does anyone know what the rest of the pay scale looks like? Even approximately? Or anything about the bonus situation?

Any info would be greatly appreciate. Let me know if you'd prefer to answer via PM.

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Re: Chattanooga Market Pay Scale

Post by ballouttacontrol » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:43 pm

no idea about chattanooga, but several small markets I know tend to give 5k per year raises basically all the way up. maybe even smaller there if starting is only 95.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:44 am

ballouttacontrol wrote:no idea about chattanooga, but several small markets I know tend to give 5k per year raises basically all the way up. maybe even smaller there if starting is only 95.
Thanks for taking a stab at it.

Anyone with actual info on Chattanooga? Surely some Baker or Miller associate can chime in with their own experience or even just conventional wisdom...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:49 pm

I interviewed a while back for Husch Blackwell's Chattanooga office. They have 20-30 attorneys there (I think). Everyone seemed friendly. Their 1st-yr. associate salary was $95k at the time: I don't know if that's changed.

I don't know what the pay scale is, though.

Also, I'm assuming you're from the area, OP?

you_were_driving

New

Post by you_were_driving » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:08 pm

Chambliss has about twenty more attorneys in Chattanooga than Baker does. Or at least they did as of last spring.

SMRW, GKH, and Leitner all have about the same number of attorneys as husch.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I interviewed a while back for Husch Blackwell's Chattanooga office. They have 20-30 attorneys there (I think). Everyone seemed friendly. Their 1st-yr. associate salary was $95k at the time: I don't know if that's changed.

I don't know what the pay scale is, though.

Also, I'm assuming you're from the area, OP?
Thanks. I didn't know that Husch paid the same starting salary. Good to know. Seems like it shouldn't be this hard to get at least some information about attorney pay after the first year.

And, no, I'm not from the area originally but really like it and would be interested in working there long term.
you_were_driving wrote:Chambliss has about twenty more attorneys in Chattanooga than Baker does. Or at least they did as of last spring.
SMRW, GKH, and Leitner all have about the same number of attorneys as husch.
Good to know. Do you (or anyone else) know which of these firms match the $95k market salaries for first years?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:18 am

Anonymous User wrote: And, no, I'm not from the area originally but really like it and would be interested in working there long term.

Good to know. Do you (or anyone else) know which of these firms match the $95k market salaries for first years?
This is 3:49 Anon.

Chambliss Bahner's starting salaries are lower, closer to $85k, I believe.

I'm guessing that you're asking about Chatt as a lateral, but even so, do you have some compelling reason to work there? If you have solid credentials and aren't from the area, that's gonna raise a few eyebrows.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:41 am

I know in Bham you started at 120 and generally weren't much north of 150 until you made partner. It matters too, as you obviously know because you're asking...160 to 95 aint too bad when you factor in COL 110 to 330 (including bonus) is pretty rough. The counter is you can actually stay long enough to make 110 (or partner) you aren't doing that generally in big law.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 11, 2016 3:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know in Bham you started at 120 and generally weren't much north of 150 until you made partner. It matters too, as you obviously know because you're asking...160 to 95 aint too bad when you factor in COL 110 to 330 (including bonus) is pretty rough. The counter is you can actually stay long enough to make 110 (or partner) you aren't doing that generally in big law.
Anyone know how much Chattanooga partners make at places like Miller Martin or Baker Donelson?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 11, 2016 10:52 pm

I'd say it is between Chambliss and M&M for top two firms in Chattanooga.

I heard that the first year at Chambliss is 90k.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 12, 2016 9:06 pm

Miller is still at $95k and Chambliss I believe is probably a little below. Miller has hired 5 laterals in the past 6 months and they were all from major markets and major firms. Chambliss is looking for a patent attorney and always seem to want laterals in corp or tax. Word to the 2Ls, both Miller and Chambliss regularly no offer so 6 weeks with either is never a sure thing.

atlroom

New

Post by atlroom » Sat May 14, 2016 7:53 pm

My understanding is that both Miller and Chambliss will take about 6 summers. Three 2Ls and three 1L summers. I'm not sure about the I know they offer at least one 2L summer. I don't know if they regularly offer more or less.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 18, 2016 10:23 am

It's hard to do the cost-benefit analysis on Chattanooga vs. Knoxville/Nashville/Birmingham/NY/DC etc. without any sense of where compensation goes after starting at 95k. So I want to see if we can fill out a scale for the Chattanooga Market wiki style.

My understanding is that that Miller & Martin is the largest firm in Chattanooga and the compensation leader. So we will consider them the "Market" in Chattanooga. But if you have data points from Baker or Chambliss or Husch etc. we can use that information to fill in gaps until we get something firmer.

According to NALP, bonuses and salaries at Miller & Martin are individualized. People are considered for non-equity partner at 7.5 and for equity partner a year later. I imagine compensation at those levels varies too.

Please post any data points you have and I will compile the information in the format below. If we get multiple data points for a single year then I will list it as a range. Let me know if I should create a new account and post this non-anon so people can PM me tips. Otherwise, just post below. If you know anyone who works at Miller & Martin or who might have good information, feel free to send them a link to this post so they can help us out anonymously.

Thanks!

Miller & Martin
Yr: Salary/Bonus
1: 95k - 95k / ??k - ??k
2: ??k - ??k / ??k - ??k
3: ??k - ??k / ??k - ??k
4: ??k - ??k / ??k - ??k
5: ??k - ??k / ??k - ??k
6: ??k - ??k / ??k - ??k
7: ??k - ??k / ??k - ??k
Non-Equity Partner: ??k - ??k / ??k - ??k
Equity Partner: ??k - ??k / ??k - ??k
What about the top few rainmakers: ??k - ??k / ??k - ??k

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 18, 2016 10:36 am

Can't add to the pay scale conversation, but as far as cost-benefit analysis, these markets are all very different if you're a student choosing between them (except for the fact they all care about ties). Chattanooga and Knoxville have very very very small SA classes and Chattanooga firms notoriously no offer summers (M&M). Nashville classes are larger--difficult to get in, but once you get in, firms traditionally offer everyone (unless you do something stupid or your work product is not good).

I would not recommend someone foregoing a Nashville opportunity to be in Chattanooga, unless they are a lateral, know they want to/have to be in Chattanooga (because of family or because they've lived there and are willing to risk it), or have some other kind of tie to the firm (ex. family member works in the market/firm, which happens somewhat with kids at UTK/Vandy/Southern schools).

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Wed May 18, 2016 10:51 am

Does Chattanooga pay less than Memphis (assume comparable size law firms)?

Does anyone know what a mid-size firm in Knoxville would pay?
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 18, 2016 4:22 pm

Baker D in Chatt meets local market

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”