Career Trajectory - Political Desires Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
hdunlop

Bronze

Re: Career Trajectory - Political Desires

Post by hdunlop » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:27 am

It's where you're from or have spent most of your life. And working there is better than working elsewhere, other than maybe the first couple years. Long road to the Oval if instincts don't tell you that.

Catsinthebag

Bronze

Post by Catsinthebag » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:50 am

barkschool wrote:
hangingtree wrote:Political aspirations are fine and, though it's early, you can begin thinking about your plans in law school. However, unless you're coming from a powerful American family, there is not a lot you can do at this point besides being great at whatever you decide to do.

The only thing it seems you must do at this point is move to your desired market immediately after graduation. The people I know who have political aspirations at various law schools are all targeting/have targeted their desired market during summers and especially after graduation. President Obama targeted Chicago; Bill Clinton, Arkansas; Ted Cruz, Texas; Rubio, Florida.

Additionally, I assume each of these folks have powerful mentors--either alumni or local connections. You're not going to find the advice you need on TLS.
Did Obama really look at Chicago, and go, "things look good here for a potential Senate race"??
Presidents who aren't born into power families (Obama, Clinton) and others who potentially will/could be presidents who aren't born into power families (Rubio, Cruz) are typically driven toward that goal from their earliest coming-of-age moments. Running for Prez def isn't a quarter-life career change type thing.

That being said, Clinton was actually born and raised in Hope, Arkansas, so I don't think he "targeted" it so much as played it up like a boss. See: http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=25958. That's a transcript of his speech accepting the Dem presidential nomination in 1992. The last line of the speech: "My fellow Americans, I end tonight where it all began for me- I still believe in a place called Hope."

With Obama specifically, Chicago seems pretty targeted and it was perfect. Given the challenges he knew he'd face trying to come up through a white-dominated establishment, he needed to put in time building himself some "on-the-ground" credibility and a political base with a broad African-American populace; hence, the community organizing work in Chicago while simultaneously maintaining his access to the elites in the state as a law prof at U Chicago.

hdunlop

Bronze

Post by hdunlop » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:59 am

Also worth noting Chicago is a city with a notoriously terrible racial history to the point MLK said “I think the people from Mississippi ought to come to Chicago to learn how to hate,” so going there to organize fit his broader agenda, not just a political goal.

Catsinthebag

Bronze

Post by Catsinthebag » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:03 am

I agree, and I did not mean to infer that his actions were purely out of political ambition. I was just addressing the notion of going to a certain community because of the opportunities it affords to an aspiring politician. It is nice, though, when one's political ambition aligns with doing good work!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:14 am

If you worked on the Hill then you know someone who has/does campaign work. Ask them.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hdunlop

Bronze

Post by hdunlop » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:24 am

@cats - didn't mean to suggest you were, sorry. I raised it because I love that quote and because it ties in with the post made earlier about don't talk about doing something for your community, go do it.

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:40 am

It doesn't seem very hard to become a state legislator, and I think a long term goal in the USA congress is entirely reasonable.

Idk why ppl on this site feel the need to jump on anyone that doesn't fit the antisocial and unambitious type that inhabits these forums whos only desire is which biglaw firm will allow to lateral inhouse in 3-5 years?

Op I have no idea, but good luck cuz. Make sure you don't do anything that makes you unelectable, eg public defender in red blooded right wing country, or reping police in libtard territory

Catsinthebag

Bronze

Post by Catsinthebag » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:41 am

ballouttacontrol wrote:It doesn't seem very hard to become a state legislator, and I think a long term goal in the USA congress is entirely reasonable.

Idk why ppl on this site feel the need to jump on anyone that doesn't fit the antisocial and unambitious type that inhabits these forums whos only desire is which biglaw firm will allow to lateral inhouse in 3-5 years?

Op I have no idea, but good luck cuz. Make sure you don't do anything that makes you unelectable, eg public defender in red blooded right wing country, or reping police in libtard territory
doesn't seem very hard to become a state legislator
Spoken like a person who truly has no idea.
jump on anyone
Didn't see any jumping, just people noticing that the type of attitude toward elected office in this post, assuming it was a legit post and not trolling, is really why 50+% of the population hates politicians and doesn't get involved or vote.
or reping police in libtard territory
Are you 16 years old? You clearly are oblivious to much of reality.

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:17 am

you don't see anyone jumping on him? Half the posts on the first page were making fun of him or calling him a troll.

Also, many small town state legislators do not seem particularly impressive at all. When the voting base is a few hundred and run every single year un-opposed, I'm sure you could win this with enough time effort and $

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Catsinthebag

Bronze

Post by Catsinthebag » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:34 am

Like I said, I just see folks reacting to someone who transparently has no interest in public service. Rather, op is just looking at the best/easiest way to get elected. To what end? Who knows. I don't think anybody is naive enough to think everyone who runs for office is the altruistic public servant, but few are as transparently lacking in civic virtue as op, again assuming op wasn't in fact trolling.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:59 am

Catsinthebag wrote:
barkschool wrote:
hangingtree wrote:Political aspirations are fine and, though it's early, you can begin thinking about your plans in law school. However, unless you're coming from a powerful American family, there is not a lot you can do at this point besides being great at whatever you decide to do.

The only thing it seems you must do at this point is move to your desired market immediately after graduation. The people I know who have political aspirations at various law schools are all targeting/have targeted their desired market during summers and especially after graduation. President Obama targeted Chicago; Bill Clinton, Arkansas; Ted Cruz, Texas; Rubio, Florida.

Additionally, I assume each of these folks have powerful mentors--either alumni or local connections. You're not going to find the advice you need on TLS.
Did Obama really look at Chicago, and go, "things look good here for a potential Senate race"??
Presidents who aren't born into power families (Obama, Clinton) and others who potentially will/could be presidents who aren't born into power families (Rubio, Cruz) are typically driven toward that goal from their earliest coming-of-age moments. Running for Prez def isn't a quarter-life career change type thing.

That being said, Clinton was actually born and raised in Hope, Arkansas, so I don't think he "targeted" it so much as played it up like a boss. See: http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=25958. That's a transcript of his speech accepting the Dem presidential nomination in 1992. The last line of the speech: "My fellow Americans, I end tonight where it all began for me- I still believe in a place called Hope."

With Obama specifically, Chicago seems pretty targeted and it was perfect. Given the challenges he knew he'd face trying to come up through a white-dominated establishment, he needed to put in time building himself some "on-the-ground" credibility and a political base with a broad African-American populace; hence, the community organizing work in Chicago while simultaneously maintaining his access to the elites in the state as a law prof at U Chicago.

Yea well the only reason that worked out is because the Chicagoan who should've/ would've been senator liked to watch his wife get gangbanged.

Catsinthebag

Bronze

Post by Catsinthebag » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Catsinthebag wrote:
barkschool wrote:

Yea well the only reason that worked out is because the Chicagoan who should've/ would've been senator liked to watch his wife get gangbanged.
Yep, the "only reason" that worked out other than Obama was already leading Ryan in polls before that came out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:58 pm

Position yourself where you want to be. Hard work does not matter as much in politics. You have to work hard but that should not be your focus. Your focus should be on making the right connections. Where can you make the most powerful connections? You need to live where you can become a part of the right clicks. You should create an army of relationships in all areas of government. Weave your web.

Build your career but never never forget to make friends along the way.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Post by gaddockteeg » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:04 am

tyrant_flycatcher wrote:
My ultimate desire is to become a politician (state senator --> us senator --> governor --> potus)
Obviously you need to become governor of a state that places well in POTUS. Some will say you can govern anywhere in the T10 (VNTONMGACT), but I would recommend aiming for the T2 (VN). I know people out there are going to say, "Why is Virginia even considered T2 anymore? Their placement numbers looked so much better 40 cycles ago then they do now." But Virginia has serious staying power, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise, even if it's been 170 years since Tyler made the move. I guess you could try to lateral to New York or Virginia from a different state, but it's always harder to lateral "up" then "down."
I will buy you a beer for this comment someday.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”