Taking a day off during 2L SA? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Taking a day off during 2L SA?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:39 pm

I'm just curious if anyone has any thoughts on taking a day or two off (Friday and a Monday, or just a Friday) during their 2L SA. One of my best friends is getting married, and she's doing a destination wedding, so it wouldn't make a lot of sense to only go for a day or two. I've asked some of my 3L/recent grad friends, and I've received mixed feedback ranging from "it's totally fine, as long as you give ample notice," to "don't be an idiot and compromise your chance at an offer."

Is this appropriate? If so, when should I notify my firm?

TLSModBot

Diamond

Re: Taking a day off during 2L SA?

Post by TLSModBot » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:43 pm

I feel like we have this discussion on TLS a lot. I think you'll get the same range of answers here - trending more on the 'OK if you give ample notice' side than 'OMG don't do it think of your offer.' I personally fell on the latter side when I was doing my SA but admittedly I'm more neurotic than most.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:00 pm

It's totally OK, as long as you give them ample notice (e.g. before the summer program begins). I was in a large summer class at a V50 firm this past summer, and several people took one day off for weddings. None of them were no-offered. As long as the day off didn't adversely affect their work, the firm didn't care. Caveat: The weddings were all for family (siblings) or close friends (the SA was the best man or maid of honor). I'm not sure how the forgiving the firm would be if the SA were merely a minor guest at a wedding.

hdunlop

Bronze

Post by hdunlop » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:02 pm

Yeah make sure you're in the wedding. Negotiate for an usher slot.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:21 pm

No big deal, just let them know before the summer starts and ask if it's ok for you to miss a day

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:22 pm

I flat out skipped a day. I was too hung over from an after party, didn't have anything due and felt going in looking like I did would be worse.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:23 pm

I wouldn't but it probably isn't a big deal

Nekrowizard

Bronze

Post by Nekrowizard » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It's totally OK, as long as you give them ample notice (e.g. before the summer program begins). I was in a large summer class at a V50 firm this past summer, and several people took one day off for weddings. None of them were no-offered. As long as the day off didn't adversely affect their work, the firm didn't care. Caveat: The weddings were all for family (siblings) or close friends (the SA was the best man or maid of honor). I'm not sure how the forgiving the firm would be if the SA were merely a minor guest at a wedding.
How would anybody even know? Since by this point you've already made up a fiancee who lives in the city you're SAing at, you might as well work in a fake best man role.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:48 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:01 pm

One SA at my V100 firm in a major market took an entire week off for a few weddings and supposedly being sick. Got an offer but lost my respect and will not be getting much work from me.

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:06 pm

Nekrowizard wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It's totally OK, as long as you give them ample notice (e.g. before the summer program begins). I was in a large summer class at a V50 firm this past summer, and several people took one day off for weddings. None of them were no-offered. As long as the day off didn't adversely affect their work, the firm didn't care. Caveat: The weddings were all for family (siblings) or close friends (the SA was the best man or maid of honor). I'm not sure how the forgiving the firm would be if the SA were merely a minor guest at a wedding.
How would anybody even know? Since by this point you've already made up a fiancee who lives in the city you're SAing at, you might as well work in a fake best man role.
Fake groom in a wedding has been my go-to Friday/Monday off work excuse since I was like 20

Anonymous User wrote:I flat out skipped a day. I was too hung over from an after party, didn't have anything due and felt going in looking like I did would be worse.
But this would have gotten you no offered at at least one of my firms (AmLaw 50ish)

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:12 pm

I did it for just a day with my SO. No one even noticed.

Ask ahead, mark it on your calendar as busy or ooo, and let all of the relevant people know well in advance and you're fine.

lawhopeful10

Silver

Post by lawhopeful10 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:15 pm

I took off a Friday for a bachelor party but didn't even provide a reason. I just emailed the people I worked with saying I needed to be in X place and wanted to take off early and to let me know if there was anything that made that not possible. Wasn't a big deal at all.

Also if it's one of your best friends wedding I think it's worth the what I perceive as minimal risk of blowback to go.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:52 pm

I'd do it especially if you're at a firm that is 100% offer. If at such a firm then you're crazy not to. Even if you're firm isn't 100% I don't think anyone will care if you are not weird and provide acceptable work product.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”