Do you buy your parnters a holiday gift? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Do you buy your parnters a holiday gift?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:20 pm

I'm at a small firm and our operations manager has organized a gift to the partners to come from the staff and the associates, along with a potluck lunch. This person has demanded $15 from each staff member and associate, plus assigned each person a dish to make. Last year we had the same potluck except it was held for attorneys, not for partners. Would anyone else be offended by this?

Anonymous User

Re: Do you buy your parnters a holiday gift?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:30 pm

No, I would not be offended by this. I am not sure what would even be considered offensive.

To protect my anon status, I would like to include that I work in Criminal Defense, specifically, DUI - BWI- Public Intoxication - Vehicular Homicide - Vehicular Assault - Minor in Possession of Alcohol - and specialize in the voluntary intoxication defense. My office is located in the Mountain Time Zone.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:No, I would not be offended by this. I am not sure what would even be considered offensive.

To protect my anon status, I would like to include that I work in Criminal Defense, specifically, DUI - BWI- Public Intoxication - Vehicular Homicide - Vehicular Assault - Minor in Possession of Alcohol - and specialize in the voluntary intoxication defense. My office is located in the Mountain Time Zone.
OP here. I think my offense comes from the inconsistency, not the gift itself. So last year, the staff got a group gift for the attorneys. Now this year, it's just the partners. That's going backward in my opinion. Also, the partners always give the staff gifts, not the associates. I also got my staff gifts from me. So basically, I'm a giver twice and not a receiver? I understand this sounds incredibly selfish. I will qualify it with the info that my firm is incredibly screwed up and I'm completely unhappy with everything here. So that is factoring in. I'm not a selfish person, I just don't think the staff and associates together should get a gift for the partners. I think it should be staff to attorneys. You know, since I'm still a supervisor of the staff. Also, there is the added factor that my one staffer told me she is getting me something since I'm not included in the group gift. So now she feels obligated to buy 2 gifts, rather than 1. That's not fair to her. (For the record, I told her she didn't need to get me a gift when she told me this.)

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:14 pm

Office gifts should only flow down the chain of responsibility.

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:No, I would not be offended by this. I am not sure what would even be considered offensive.

OP here. I think my offense comes from the inconsistency, not the gift itself. So last year, the staff got a group gift for the attorneys. Now this year, it's just the partners. That's going backward in my opinion. Also, the partners always give the staff gifts, not the associates. I also got my staff gifts from me. So basically, I'm a giver twice and not a receiver? I understand this sounds incredibly selfish. I will qualify it with the info that my firm is incredibly screwed up and I'm completely unhappy with everything here. So that is factoring in. I'm not a selfish person, I just don't think the staff and associates together should get a gift for the partners. I think it should be staff to attorneys. You know, since I'm still a supervisor of the staff. Also, there is the added factor that my one staffer told me she is getting me something since I'm not included in the group gift. So now she feels obligated to buy 2 gifts, rather than 1. That's not fair to her. (For the record, I told her she didn't need to get me a gift when she told me this.)
Wait, are you saying that your staff buys attorneys presents? Basically, the lower paid members of your firm are expected to give gifts to the higher paid members? That's messed up.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:26 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:Office gifts should only flow down the chain of responsibility.
Yeah, as a matter of principle, this.

But then again, it's not a lot of money, so I'd probably just throw in. Not worth the stress.
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:51 pm

No, you don't. Get over the fact that I outed you for using anon to be rude, and stop trying to make a point about it.

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:05 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:Office gifts should only flow down the chain of responsibility.
regardless of place of employment

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t

Bronze

Post by n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:50 am

Mandatory gift-giving is pretty fucking stupid, especially in the workplace context. That said, I'd go along because what other choice is there?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:52 am

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t wrote:Mandatory gift-giving is pretty fucking stupid, especially in the workplace context. That said, I'd go along because what other choice is there?
OP here. Exactly. There is no choice but to go along. Just another reason to get out of this hell hole.

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:50 am

There has never been a more appropriate time

[img]http://i.imgur.com/hKBQlJ9.jpg

edit: dammit, can't post pictures

"A donation has been made in your name to The Human Fund."

twenty 8

Bronze

Post by twenty 8 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:35 pm

Buying a Christmas happy for partners that you most often work with is applicable. Usually wine, scotch, etc. does the trick. By now you know what they usually order (when you’re out and about). Simple enough to drop by their office without making a big deal about it.

Keep a few extra bottles (and cards) on standby for those who might unexpectedly surprise you with a gift.

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:05 pm

weird that there was ever a plan for the staff to do a potluck for attorneys either. wth

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Dafaq

Bronze

Post by Dafaq » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm at a small firm and our operations manager has organized a gift to the partners to come from the staff and the associates, along with a potluck lunch. This person has demanded $15 from each staff member and associate, plus assigned each person a dish to make. Last year we had the same potluck except it was held for attorneys, not for partners. Would anyone else be offended by this?
Basically, go along to get along. Be grateful that they’re not asking for $40 every time someone has a baby shower.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:20 pm

barkschool wrote:
regardless of place of employment
Absolutely.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”