GTown/NYU LLM or Big4 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
PandDAlone

New

GTown/NYU LLM or Big4

Post by PandDAlone » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:53 am

Background:
I have an offer from a Big4 in the group that I want (ITS/TP/M&A) in a great market (NorCal/SoCal). However, the pay is low (75-85). I was also accepted at GTown/NYU LLM and I'm unsure whether I should take Big4 or roll the dice at an LLM in hopes of big law. (I didn't slot into big law in law school because my law school is: T2, in a small market, and I am finishing around 25%). I know the general rule is that if I wasn't big law before LLM, I probably wouldn't be big law solely because of the program.

Questions:
1. Should I take the Big4 or LLM? Are there are other factors you need to know before you offer advice? If so, what factors?
2. What are Big4 offering LLMs from GTown/NYU LLM in terms of salary?
3. If I make top 25% at LLM can I still slot into Big Law?
4. Any other opinions/questions/insight?

Thank you in advance, I appreciate your perspective.

sesto elemento

Gold

Re: GTown/NYU LLM or Big4

Post by sesto elemento » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:02 am

Is it a Tax LLM?

cheaptilts

Silver

Post by cheaptilts » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:10 am

Take the job

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:27 am

sesto elemento wrote:Is it a Tax LLM?
It has to be.

PandDAlone

New

Post by PandDAlone » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:30 am

Yes, Tax LLM.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nealric

Post by nealric » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:53 am

PandDAlone wrote:Background:
I have an offer from a Big4 in the group that I want (ITS/TP/M&A) in a great market (NorCal/SoCal). However, the pay is low (75-85). I was also accepted at GTown/NYU LLM and I'm unsure whether I should take Big4 or roll the dice at an LLM in hopes of big law. (I didn't slot into big law in law school because my law school is: T2, in a small market, and I am finishing around 25%). I know the general rule is that if I wasn't big law before LLM, I probably wouldn't be big law solely because of the program.

Questions:
1. Should I take the Big4 or LLM? Are there are other factors you need to know before you offer advice? If so, what factors?
2. What are Big4 offering LLMs from GTown/NYU LLM in terms of salary?
3. If I make top 25% at LLM can I still slot into Big Law?
4. Any other opinions/questions/insight?

Thank you in advance, I appreciate your perspective.
Take the Job. You will be offered the same money with the LLM if you don't get biglaw. People with T2 backgrounds usually don't get biglaw from an LLM unless they had the grades for biglaw right out of law school. Outside chance of biglaw if you absolutely kill it in the LLM program, but if your law school grades weren't top 5%, odds are your LLM grades won't be either.

RMFT12

New

Post by RMFT12 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:56 pm

nealric is correct- only posting to add that the vast majority of the Biglaw jobs available from NYU and GTown will be on the East Coast. If possible, take a look at the cities where jobs were available at last year's Taxation Interview Program.

PandDAlone

New

Post by PandDAlone » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:33 pm

Thank you for your opinions, I appreciate your insight on my circumstances.

My initial thought after receiving the offer was to accept it and turn down the LLM . After speaking with someone at NYU now, he expressed the same views echoed on this board: accept the position, I won't get big law unless top of class/already had big law, unsure whether salary at Big4 will change much pre/post LLM, etc.

However, I posted this question because all of my tax professors are saying: go LLM, Big4 salary is too low, you have a shot at either big law or Big4 Washington National Tax. I understand that they are in academia and they likely lean toward more school.

Although I'm only in at around 25% of my law school, I have taken/currently taking 6 tax courses (A's in 3; 3 in progress) and I have an accounting background. I agree that if I wasn't 5% before LLM it would be hard to be 5% in LLM.

Question: Does my experience with tax courses shift the odds against taking Big4 outright and add some consideration toward taking LLM?

Again, thank you for taking the time to offer me your perspective.

nealric

Post by nealric » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:28 pm

PandDAlone wrote:Thank you for your opinions, I appreciate your insight on my circumstances.

My initial thought after receiving the offer was to accept it and turn down the LLM . After speaking with someone at NYU now, he expressed the same views echoed on this board: accept the position, I won't get big law unless top of class/already had big law, unsure whether salary at Big4 will change much pre/post LLM, etc.

However, I posted this question because all of my tax professors are saying: go LLM, Big4 salary is too low, you have a shot at either big law or Big4 Washington National Tax. I understand that they are in academia and they likely lean toward more school.

Although I'm only in at around 25% of my law school, I have taken/currently taking 6 tax courses (A's in 3; 3 in progress) and I have an accounting background. I agree that if I wasn't 5% before LLM it would be hard to be 5% in LLM.

Question: Does my experience with tax courses shift the odds against taking Big4 outright and add some consideration toward taking LLM?

Again, thank you for taking the time to offer me your perspective.
I wouldn't put too much stock in non-adjunct professors in this realm. They are pretty far removed from the entry level private sector hiring criteria. It's true you could hypothetically get Biglaw or Washington national tax, but it's a big risk for a lot of dough. I would also say that Washington national tax offices have downsides as well. My understanding is you end up hyper specialized, which can make lateral moves difficult. They also don't have a ton of openings.

Getting As in tax speaks well, but keep in mind that most of the people in Tax LLMs are there because they are good in tax and got good grades in tax classes.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Jchance

Silver

Post by Jchance » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:37 pm

Have you thought about doing both: take the Big4 and switch to part-time online LLM program (NYU has this) for tax?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:54 am

Not OP, but does anyone know about Big 4's reimbursement policy for part-time LLM? I heard sth like they pay 50% of tuition plus books up front and then reimburse the other 50% of tuition upon completion with a B or better. I guess it depends on firms/practice groups, but any insights would be greatly appreciated. FYI, I am interested in NYU part-time LLM only. Thanks!

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:36 am

take the job. most biglaw jobs for both llms are east coast. its actually pretty easy to lateral from big 4 to big law these days. big 4 partner is easier to make than law, and significantly easier as a lawyer. big 4 partner pay is roughly equal to biglaw partner pay. big 4 also is pretty lax about facetime from the lawyers i know in big 4.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:47 am

JohannDeMann wrote:big 4 partner is easier to make than law, and significantly easier as a lawyer. big 4 partner pay is roughly equal to biglaw partner pay.
not sure about these points. from what i have seen big4 tax makes very few partners (lots and lots of nonequity directors). I also think big4 partners make around 50-60% what a biglaw partner does. That being said, don't expect to make partner anywhere.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:48 am

I'd take the job. I've heard that Big4 may possibly pay for an LLM down the road too, but I can't verify this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:36 am

Definitely not easy to lateral from big4 to biglaw at least for tax

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:52 am

dabigchina wrote:
JohannDeMann wrote:big 4 partner is easier to make than law, and significantly easier as a lawyer. big 4 partner pay is roughly equal to biglaw partner pay.
not sure about these points. from what i have seen big4 tax makes very few partners (lots and lots of nonequity directors). I also think big4 partners make around 50-60% what a biglaw partner does. That being said, don't expect to make partner anywhere.
"The typical salary for a PwC Partner ranges from $140,172-$721,868, with an average salary of $436,097. Salaries estimates based on 4 salary submitted anonymously to Glassdoor by PwC Partner employees."

How much does this non-equity director earns? 100k?

nealric

Post by nealric » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:19 am

dabigchina wrote:
My understanding is that big4 partner is indeed harder to make, especially if you start from the bottom rungs. There are more rungs to climb and the ratio of newbies to partners is a lot more skewed than biglaw with a longer road to partner.

However, at least around here, I don't think the claim that big4 tax partners make 50-60% of a biglaw partner is necessarily accurate. I've spoken to big4 partners who left biglaw because big4 was offering more. Like biglaw, not all big4 partners are created equal- so that may have a lot to do with it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:27 pm

Last edited by dabigchina on Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PandDAlone

New

Post by PandDAlone » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:06 pm

I want to thank all of you for your perspectives and opinions. I appreciate you taking the time to consider my circumstance. I have yet to make a final decision, but I will keep this thread posted on my status. Again, thank you and I hope you have a nice holiday season.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:15 pm

If you haven't done so already, just wanted to check in and encourage you to take the big4 job.

Good luck with the decision though.

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Post by gaddockteeg » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:18 am

I'm gonna go against everyone else here and say go get the LLM.

I think theres a not-insignificant chance (maybe 30%) of getting big law straight from the LLM as long as you actively network and apply to any/all tax associate openings. If it doesnt pan out, I think your chances of lateraling from big 4 to mid law after 1 year increase (and then big law after another year or 2) with an LLM.

The chances of doing the lateraling above ^ with your current degree are slim - but the LLM makes it a real probability(maybe 50/50).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:03 pm

The post is months old, but I'd just like to add that with a tax LLM, even if all you get is big4, starting salaries are $115,000 (with $5,000 sign on bonus). This is for big4 NYC M&A or International Tax. I know this from first hand information.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”