Do firms partially cover flights for vacation after summer associateship? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
cesium

Bronze

Do firms partially cover flights for vacation after summer associateship?

Post by cesium » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:30 am

Say I attend UChicago and will be a summer associate in New York. The firm covers my round-trip flights from Chicago to New York. However, if I decide to take a vacation to Europe right afterwards, how does the firm cover my travel expenses? I suppose I could fly back to New York from Europe, and have the firm pay for my flight from New York to Chicago, but what if it's more economical overall if I find a direct and cheaper flight from Europe back to Chicago? Do they reimburse part of this flight?
Last edited by cesium on Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Desert Fox

Diamond

DFTHREAD

Post by Desert Fox » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:33 am

Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

barkschool

Silver

Re: Do firms partially cover flights for vacation after summer associateship?

Post by barkschool » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:59 am

People have had mixed success with this, make sure to bring it up at the first team meeting this summer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:45 am

This happens all the time when working in consulting, etc. Basically I would just submit reimbursement for the cheapest amount it would have taken if I'd gone straight home after, and included a snapshot of both fares (one I requested reimbursement for and actual ticket costs). Never got any push back, most people have more important shit to worry about.

ETA: Actually I did have an open jaw on a job interview once, was flying from overseas and then went home to visit family in another city before returning abroad - I had negotiated a capped reimbursement amount though, which my ticket would have been over regardless.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:57 am

my firm paid for it

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:14 am

Just ask the travel department as you're booking your flights what they will cover. They aren't going to report your questions to recruiting, and you're just exploring your options under their policy.

FWIW, I was at a wedding in Florida rather my law school city the weekend before my SA started. I bought a one-way ticket to Florida, the firm bought my one-way ticket from Florida to NY, and bought my one-way ticket from NY to law law school city. I just asked if they would do it that way and they said yes, it wasn't a big deal.

Abbie Doobie

Silver

Post by Abbie Doobie » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:19 am

firms actually do this? lol jesus

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”