Help: Want to work at DOJ but lied during background check for previous job Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Help: Want to work at DOJ but lied during background check for previous job

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:47 pm

go consult a real attorney, because, well, most of these people aren't actually lawyers.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:30 pm

carmensandiego wrote:
Hand wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:0L here. I don't have to stop smoking weed, do I?
If you want to work at the DOJ, you better stop asap.
I would just stop in general. Some/a lot of jobs during law school drug test too. A guy who went to my school tried to get a judicial externship at the courthouse, didn't know that they drug tested, and failed the drug test. He felt like a moron and is now known for being that dbag who can't pass a simple drug test. Don't be that guy.
This has not been my general experience, but its not like I've been everywhere. Two fed internships during lawschool, an SA (then five years employment) at a regional mid/big(whatever-midwest) law firm, now at a small firm, never a drug test. But if going inhouse, sure. Judicial internships that drug test? Yikes - what state / jurisdiction Carmen San Diego (Cali?) People need this information on the internet.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:32 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Nebby wrote:I'm going to go on a limb and say that the likelihood of such a scenario is nil, though theoretically possible.
It's probably unlikely, but I wouldn't say nil. Besides, banking on it not happening means that the OP is stuck continuing to lie. Up to the OP how comfortable she is with that, of course.

OP, if you wait until it's been 7+ years since you last smoked, then you won't have to answer yes on the application. It's not common to get a DOJ gig right out of school anyway.
Yeah I've got to imagine the DOJ has some professionals who look into backgrounds and love finding these little things. Probably not common, sure, but it seems good policy to have the DOJ staffed by non-potheads, and to at least have some mechanism to weed out the liars.

carmensandiego

Bronze

Post by carmensandiego » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:39 pm

NotMyRealName09 wrote:
carmensandiego wrote:
Hand wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:0L here. I don't have to stop smoking weed, do I?
If you want to work at the DOJ, you better stop asap.
I would just stop in general. Some/a lot of jobs during law school drug test too. A guy who went to my school tried to get a judicial externship at the courthouse, didn't know that they drug tested, and failed the drug test. He felt like a moron and is now known for being that dbag who can't pass a simple drug test. Don't be that guy.
This has not been my general experience, but its not like I've been everywhere. Two fed internships during lawschool, an SA (then five years employment) at a regional mid/big(whatever-midwest) law firm, now at a small firm, never a drug test. But if going inhouse, sure. Judicial internships that drug test? Yikes - what state / jurisdiction Carmen San Diego (Cali?) People need this information on the internet.
Nope, Cook County Circuit Court. I did an externship there myself and was only given a day before my acceptance and drug test too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:19 pm

lol you sound like a twelve year old.... deny, deny, deny. First absent national security division or DEA they are not going to interview friends roommates or acquaintances. Interviews are only done at the Top Secret clearance level and above. Even if they did oh Jill told us she saw you smoking .. well yea that's because I slept with her bf in law school. The only thing that matters is if you have been arrested for it. Worst that can happen is you don't get hired you're not getting prosecuted or anything they can't prove you lied. If you don't double down and deny you face a possible character and fitness issue

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:lol you sound like a twelve year old.... deny, deny, deny. First absent national security division or DEA they are not going to interview friends roommates or acquaintances. Interviews are only done at the Top Secret clearance level and above. Even if they did oh Jill told us she saw you smoking .. well yea that's because I slept with her bf in law school. The only thing that matters is if you have been arrested for it. Worst that can happen is you don't get hired you're not getting prosecuted or anything they can't prove you lied. If you don't double down and deny you face a possible character and fitness issue
lol you sound like you're talking out of your ass, because the background check for DOJ staff attorneys most definitely involves interviewing tons of people you know

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:lol you sound like a twelve year old.... deny, deny, deny. First absent national security division or DEA they are not going to interview friends roommates or acquaintances. Interviews are only done at the Top Secret clearance level and above. Even if they did oh Jill told us she saw you smoking .. well yea that's because I slept with her bf in law school. The only thing that matters is if you have been arrested for it. Worst that can happen is you don't get hired you're not getting prosecuted or anything they can't prove you lied. If you don't double down and deny you face a possible character and fitness issue
I don't have a top secret clearance and I had people interviewed.

And no one said the OP's going to get prosecuted, the whole point is that she wants the job. Personally I wouldn't want to start out lying to get my clearance, but everyone has to follow their own beliefs about that.

I think that OPM might have a hotline for confidential questions about the background check? If so, it would be worth talking to them.

lonerider

New

Post by lonerider » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:07 pm

Lying on an SF-86 is a felony. You need to talk to a lawyer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”