1L summer strategy? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
fisheatbananas

Bronze

1L summer strategy?

Post by fisheatbananas » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:02 am

I'm hoping to get a 1L summer position in a different region than where my law school is located, for personal reasons which I won't go into here.

I have a few connections in the targeted region, and I'm going there over winter break, so there's a good chance I'll get to meet with them.
If/when I do, I hope to ask them if they could suggest any firms or in house legal departments that I might consider applying to, based on my background, interests etc.

So my question for TLS is, should I wait until after I can meet with those people and ask them this question, to mass mail potential employers in the targeted region? Or should I just mass mail on/after December 1st? I'm leaning toward just going for it on December 1st, but if I can get introduced by one of my connections, that'd give me a better chance... thoughts please?

Clemenceau

Silver

Re: 1L summer strategy?

Post by Clemenceau » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:07 am

If these are connections that you know pretty well, then I would already be emailing them. No reason to wait until you bump into them at the christmas party.

fisheatbananas

Bronze

Post by fisheatbananas » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:14 am

Clemenceau wrote:If these are connections that you know pretty well, then I would already be emailing them. No reason to wait until you bump into them at the christmas party.
thank you for your reply!!

they're alumni of my law school who i've spoken with over email and phone, but never met.
I could just email them already though, since I did email people in regions other than that particular targeted region...

EzraFitz

Silver

Post by EzraFitz » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:00 am

fisheatbananas wrote:
Clemenceau wrote:If these are connections that you know pretty well, then I would already be emailing them. No reason to wait until you bump into them at the christmas party.
thank you for your reply!!

they're alumni of my law school who i've spoken with over email and phone, but never met.
I could just email them already though, since I did email people in regions other than that particular targeted region...
I see no problem with an email, especially just asking them for some information. I had a few of those turn into coffee/info meeting offers, some of which turned into interviews.

December 1st hustling also will help a ton, especially if you have sellable ties to the area. If a connection at a place you've mailed comes through, they may be able to get your already hustled in application to the top of the pile.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:39 am

I would apply December 1st and also hustle to get your application at the top of the heap

fisheatbananas

Bronze

Post by fisheatbananas » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:08 pm

so, get the applications in as early as possible. ok thank you guys i super appreciate it

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”