Is there a real reason to make a Linkedin account? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Nekrowizard

Bronze

Is there a real reason to make a Linkedin account?

Post by Nekrowizard » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:18 pm

I periodically get emails telling me that some random person I barely know wants to add me to their "professional network" from these dudes. I have no desire to maintain more social media/networking shit, but is this something you're kind of expected to do? Is there any real benefit to it?

Clemenceau

Silver

Re: Is there a real reason to make a Linkedin account?

Post by Clemenceau » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:27 pm

How else would you broadcast to your college acquaintances that you go to a preftigious lawl school?

Abbie Doobie

Silver

Post by Abbie Doobie » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:47 pm

so that all those recruiters that constantly call you can have another line of communication to annoy you with

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:03 pm

Easy way to keep in touch with work related contacts if you ever have to. (You won't, but it feels like real networking)

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:15 pm

Its fantastic for stalking interviewers during OCI. Just make sure you turn it on anonymous/hidden mode so they don't see that you've creepily looked at their page.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nekrowizard

Bronze

Post by Nekrowizard » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:39 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:Its fantastic for stalking interviewers during OCI. Just make sure you turn it on anonymous/hidden mode so they don't see that you've creepily looked at their page.
The time for OCI interviewer stalking has passed for me, unfortunately.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:45 pm

good for finding alumni at firms and stuff like that

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:48 pm

I found very helpful when going in-house. I'd search my contacts to see if anyone worked for the company that I was applying to. If I found anyone, I'd reach out to them to learn more about the company. Additionally, sometimes some of the people who worked in legal departments that I wanted to join had connections in common with me, and were willing to chat with me about the group and/or direct my resume to HR.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:52 pm

Nekrowizard wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:Its fantastic for stalking interviewers during OCI. Just make sure you turn it on anonymous/hidden mode so they don't see that you've creepily looked at their page.
The time for OCI interviewer stalking has passed for me, unfortunately.
Then its worthless!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:54 am

I only put mine up when I was clerking as kind of verification of who I was in case I met someone at an event and they wanted to double check to see if I was real. I practiced for 3 years prior to that and had no business cards as a clerk.

sprezz

Bronze

Post by sprezz » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:13 am

helps with search engine results

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:41 am

I use it to link with females I don't know at all because they look very attractive in their linkedin picture. I have maybe 700 connections and I actually know probably 3-4% of them. I presume they accept the invites because of my smashingly handsome mug. And if you looked through my connections you may notice the trend in who all is in my connections. It's also a way to have your company profile somewhere else online----so recruiters can find you.
Last edited by NotMyRealName09 on Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cogburn87

Bronze

Post by Cogburn87 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:44 am

NotMyRealName09 wrote:so recruiters can find you.
Not sure why you would want this.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:49 am

Cogburn87 wrote:
NotMyRealName09 wrote:so recruiters can find you.
Not sure why you would want this.
Because your firm is slow and you need to lateral out asap, as just one potential reason. Recruiters are an annoyance until you're looking for a new job, then they are great.

DragonWell

New

Post by DragonWell » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:03 am

Well said! Once I had secret crash on a guy. So I kept checking his linkedin profile, just to see his picture. I didn't know how to use Linkedin yet. Huge embarrassment, lol.

TheoO

Silver

Post by TheoO » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:19 pm

I got a law firm interview through linkedin around the time of EIP: messaged a senior associate who was an alum of my UG. He then forwarded my material to recruiting, which otherwise would have lingered in some resume pile.

krads153

Silver

Post by krads153 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:24 pm

I've noticed a lot of people add people when they are about to leave the firm...so it's a good way to "network" with former coworkers who aren't friends.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Cogburn87

Bronze

Post by Cogburn87 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:11 pm

NotMyRealName09 wrote: Because your firm is slow and you need to lateral out asap, as just one potential reason. Recruiters are an annoyance until you're looking for a new job, then they are great.
Nah. Recruiters are pretty much useless. In any event, you could just contact them. It's not like they're hard to find.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:49 am

Cogburn87 wrote:
NotMyRealName09 wrote: Because your firm is slow and you need to lateral out asap, as just one potential reason. Recruiters are an annoyance until you're looking for a new job, then they are great.
Nah. Recruiters are pretty much useless. In any event, you could just contact them. It's not like they're hard to find.
Well I did get a few interviews with them I wouldn't have known about as the positions weren't public, but I also didn't land a new job with them--I just applied to a job through indeed.com, got the interview and offer, then bam, right place right time.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:54 pm

The only point of having a linkedin account is that it looks bad if you don't when you're applying for jobs. Other than that it is completely useless. I have received endorsements for the most useless shit from people I barely work with.

"Multitasking"
"Go-getter"

And the absolute worst: "legal research"

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:19 pm

3|ink wrote:The only point of having a linkedin account is that it looks bad if you don't when you're applying for jobs. Other than that it is completely useless. I have received endorsements for the most useless shit from people I barely work with.

"Multitasking"
"Go-getter"

I've received legal research endorsements from people who don't work in the law. Weird af

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:21 pm

Yeah, all my non-legal academic friends endorse me for legal stuff, and I'm thinking, how do you know anything about my skills in litigation??

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:19 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Yeah, all my non-legal academic friends endorse me for legal stuff, and I'm thinking, how do you know anything about my skills in litigation??
Some rando judge whom I've never met endorsed me for like 14 different legal skills over the course of a year. Sure, that's cool, but meaningless. I think it was happening during a time LinkedIn was really promoting those "endorsements" - if you opened it up, it would pick a random contact and ask "Does Jerry McQuire know about "Legal Research?"" A lot of people said sure, fuck it.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:21 pm

3|ink wrote:The only point of having a linkedin account is that it looks bad if you don't when you're applying for jobs. Other than that it is completely useless. I have received endorsements for the most useless shit from people I barely work with.

"Multitasking"
"Go-getter"

You know, I think it may help with non-legally savvy clients too as far as marketing, just the whole thing ---- oooooo, 20 endorsements for appeals! His company profile said he does appellate work too---confirmation yeah!

But go-getter? That's an endorsement? Huh, maybe delete that one.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”