Colorado Legal Market Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Borhas

Platinum

Re: Colorado Legal Market

Post by Borhas » Sun May 01, 2016 1:31 pm

PassionvMoney wrote:
Borhas wrote:
PassionvMoney wrote:
Borhas wrote:
PassionvMoney wrote:I know a guy who got on as an ADA in Pueblo CO and worked in New Mexico, neighbor to the south. No other connections. I'm considering moving to Colorado, 2 years exp as an ADA, on year as an Assistant City Attorney. Colorado Springs would be my preference. Good luck!
El Paso DA is always hiring, lots of turn over even compared to other DA offices, but they recently gave a pay bump to their starting ADAs

Any particular reason for that turnover. I've worked at two DA offices and there always seems to be turnover so that may just be something that goes with job no matter where you are. I'm just curious if there is something there beyond "I just want this as a stepping stone to get exp to do something else" type reasons.

1. I think a lot of them prefer to live in Denver metro and don't like the commute.
2. Pay is generally lower than Denver metro offices
3. Highest case load in the state.
4. Low level of discretion, high level of upper level DA's making you give offers within their guidelines, which leads to taking cases to trial that should be dismissed or settled.
5. Extremely conservative peers, especially among the more experienced DA's that have stuck around.'

This information is from the El Paso DAs that I've known, mostly younger ones. I'm a PD so it's not like I have personal knowledge.
Ah I hate the low level of discretion stuff. That's one of the appealing things of being a DA. Where do you live? What's your opinion of Denver v Colorado Springs. Thanks for the info, greatly appreciated!
I actually love Colorado Springs and I live here. Obviously Denver is more cosmopolitan and there is more stuff to do, but life is just so easy here. It's close to the mountains, inexpensive, no commute time. I mean, I don't like that it is so conservative but I think all the positives outweigh it. All in all I prefer the Springs to Denver.
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PassionvMoney

New

Post by PassionvMoney » Sun May 01, 2016 1:56 pm

Thanks for the info. Also I apologize for the thread derailment

Manali

Bronze

Post by Manali » Tue May 03, 2016 11:39 pm

Borhas, is Colorado a strict C&F state?

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Wed May 04, 2016 12:41 am

I doubt there's an empirical way to answer that question. I was just cleared, but I did have to submit some clarifying information on my application. I did not have to disclose anything exciting, though. For what it's worth, I know people with DUIs and the like that are now barred.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Wed May 04, 2016 9:57 am

Manali wrote:Borhas, is Colorado a strict C&F state?
I don't know one way or the other, but everyone I knew that had some sort of hiccup was eventually cleared
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Wed May 04, 2016 11:33 am

Statistically CO is easy – you can check the annual report that came out in the past couple weeks for 2015, as well as the old ones. Of the ~1500 applicants, only like 3 were actually denied admission. Only like 15 even get sent to an inquiry panel. I know one person who was on monitoring b/c of substance abuse issues but he was admitted.

Manali

Bronze

Post by Manali » Wed May 04, 2016 5:02 pm

LeDique wrote:Statistically CO is easy – you can check the annual report that came out in the past couple weeks for 2015, as well as the old ones. Of the ~1500 applicants, only like 3 were actually denied admission. Only like 15 even get sent to an inquiry panel. I know one person who was on monitoring b/c of substance abuse issues but he was admitted.
Thanks! Found the annual report if anyone else is interested:

https://www.coloradosupremecourt.com/PD ... Report.pdf

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 04, 2016 9:38 pm

I'm applying for admission right now, but it was my understanding that CO is one of the easiest cf States.

One conviction in high school and one in law school. No troubles yet but we'll see

Manali

Bronze

Post by Manali » Thu May 05, 2016 10:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm applying for admission right now, but it was my understanding that CO is one of the easiest cf States.

One conviction in high school and one in law school. No troubles yet but we'll see
I was disciplined for misconduct during law school. Worried sick.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Manali

Bronze

Post by Manali » Sat May 07, 2016 1:41 pm

Does the Federal Public Defender hire entry-level, Borhas?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 07, 2016 8:41 pm

Browsing through WTO's attorney bios, it looks like they hire a fair number of 10th Circuit clerks who don't have any CO ties (at least none that are evident from their bios). I'm from a nearby state and doing a 2016 10th circuit clerkships, and I love Denver, but I have no ties. Do I have any shot?

Jchance

Silver

Post by Jchance » Sat May 07, 2016 9:27 pm

^Don't have a clear answer for you, but when I browsed Gibson Dunn and Hogan Lovells in their Denver offices, they also recruited 10th Cir. clerks so I would say your odds is pretty good.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Sun May 08, 2016 9:09 am

Manali wrote:Does the Federal Public Defender hire entry-level, Borhas?
don't know, but I doubt it
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 08, 2016 10:10 am

Starting at one of the "biglaw" firms in September. Just curious, anyone else at one of these guys here? 1900 hours requirement.. Curious how much flame the QOL claims are, and just generally to know if anyone else is here :)

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Sun May 08, 2016 12:55 pm

I am at an international firm in CO and my QOL is far superior to NYC/DC. It's still biglaw, but in my experience, it has been far more humane. Most folks I know are in the 2000-2200 range.

Are you going into corporate or litigation? Also, by "biglaw", do you mean a large regional firm like Holland and Hart? If so, my impression is that they work a bit less.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 10, 2016 7:36 pm

shock259 wrote:I am at an international firm in CO and my QOL is far superior to NYC/DC. It's still biglaw, but in my experience, it has been far more humane. Most folks I know are in the 2000-2200 range.

Are you going into corporate or litigation? Also, by "biglaw", do you mean a large regional firm like Holland and Hart? If so, my impression is that they work a bit less.
I'm going to H&H in a specialized group (not general lit or corp). So yea I wasn't sure whether that fits the TLS definition of "biglaw." Hoping the QOL is significantly better than the V50 firms I've worked at in other markets (but never in NY).

The comp plus bennies actually seem great, but I get the impression raises and bonuses are pretty minimal. stated requirements are 1900 billables, and I believe it was 100 pro bono, and 100 citizenship, I belieeeeve

Do you have any impression how they stack up and compare? Does your firm actually have comp on par with main markets?

Jchance

Silver

Post by Jchance » Tue May 10, 2016 9:22 pm

^what's 100 citizenship?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 11, 2016 2:53 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed May 11, 2016 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Wed May 11, 2016 2:53 pm

Jchance wrote:^what's 100 citizenship?
the things that every firm requires, but some firms choose to put some kind of hours "requirement" on it. Includes stuff like doing OCI interviews, being on firm committees, etc etc. Basically stuff that contributes to the operations of the firm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 11, 2016 3:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
shock259 wrote:I am at an international firm in CO and my QOL is far superior to NYC/DC. It's still biglaw, but in my experience, it has been far more humane. Most folks I know are in the 2000-2200 range.

I'm going to H&H in a specialized group (not general lit or corp). So yea I wasn't sure whether that fits the TLS definition of "biglaw." Hoping the QOL is significantly better than the V50 firms I've worked at in other markets (but never in NY).

The comp plus bennies actually seem great, but I get the impression raises and bonuses are pretty minimal. stated requirements are 1900 billables, and I believe it was 100 pro bono, and 100 citizenship, I belieeeeve

Do you have any impression how they stack up and compare? Does your firm actually have comp on par with main markets?
Is the pay similar to Seattle more or more like Cleveland or Columbus?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 12, 2016 6:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Is the pay similar to Seattle more or more like Cleveland or Columbus?
Idk what those markets pay but probably more on the Seattle or Columbus side than Cleveland. Lil bit than Cali, but the benefits bring it not too far behind

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Sun May 15, 2016 2:26 am

Anonymous User wrote: I'm going to H&H in a specialized group (not general lit or corp). So yea I wasn't sure whether that fits the TLS definition of "biglaw." Hoping the QOL is significantly better than the V50 firms I've worked at in other markets (but never in NY).

Fortunately I get NY market and a NY bonus at 2000 hours. Pro bono counts for up to 100 hours.

I think there are only a couple of firms that do NY market in Denver (Gibson, Hogan, Wilmer, and one that I always forget). I think most other firms are either 110k or 120k for first years. Not sure of the #'s after that but I am sure you can figure it out.

But don't fret: the COL really is a lot less here. I expect you can make H&H pay go real far.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 15, 2016 4:31 pm

Anyone know anything about senter goldfarb & rice?

Manali

Bronze

Post by Manali » Mon May 23, 2016 8:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm applying for admission right now, but it was my understanding that CO is one of the easiest cf States.

What was your conviction during law school?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 24, 2016 11:27 am

C&F is hit or miss. If you are thorough and don't skimp, you should be fine. When you submit your application, explain everything in detail and document everything. Failing to do so will trigger a deeper review. Of note, I neglected to document my changing employment status from full to part-time (summer full-time, part-time during law school semesters with the same employer) and they wanted to know why. I had to submit several affidavits stating that I was still employed, I had not been terminated, and apologize for failing to note the changing status.

Interesting fact: if scores haven't yet come out and they ask you to go through the above, you have passed. It was admitted they wouldn't bother and waste resources if the person failed. They'll just review the person upon such time they do pass the bar. Speaking of, they know about a month before the release of scores who passed.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”