T14 2015 Grad w/ No-Offer: Better to work at Shitlaw or a "bad" Clerkship? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

T14 2015 Grad w/ No-Offer: Better to work at Shitlaw or a "bad" Clerkship?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:50 pm

Basically the title.

The clerkship would be basically city-level (not prestigious at all). However, it would buy me a year and, possibly, give me a second bite at the BigLaw apple. Firm is letting me say I have an offer on my resume, FWIW.

Other option is a shitlaw firm (contracts/some lit) that pays similarly.

Thoughts?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Re: T14 2015 w/ No-Offer: Better to work at Shitlaw or a "bad" Clerkship?

Post by trebekismyhero » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Basically the title.

The clerkship would be basically city-level (not prestigious at all). However, it would buy me a year and, possibly, give me a second bite at the BigLaw apple. Firm is letting me say I have an offer on my resume, FWIW.

Thoughts?
Sorry about the no offer. Are you currently a 3L or did you graduate? If you are a 3L, I would keep mass mailing, depending on your market there are many firms that don't do 3L hiring until closer to graduation.

If it is between the two, I guess go with the clerkship. Idk if that will give you a bite at big law, but could help get you a better clerkship that might give you a better shot at big law or gov't.

Anonymous User

Re: T14 2015 w/ No-Offer: Better to work at Shitlaw or a "bad" Clerkship?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:16 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Basically the title.

Thoughts?
Sorry about the no offer. Are you currently a 3L or did you graduate? If you are a 3L, I would keep mass mailing, depending on your market there are many firms that don't do 3L hiring until closer to graduation.

If it is between the two, I guess go with the clerkship. Idk if that will give you a bite at big law, but could help get you a better clerkship that might give you a better shot at big law or gov't.
OP: Sorry, I meant C/O 2015 -- so I have graduated/passed the bar and whatnot. Thanks!

Diamond

Re: T14 2015 Grad w/ No-Offer: Better to work at Shitlaw or a "bad" Clerkship?

Post by 20160810 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:04 am

Flesh out what you mean by shit law. If you're talking about a decent 20 person firm I'm inclined to say do it. If you're talking about insurance defense for 45k take the clerkship. Even if there's no prestige it's easy work and you'll learn skills.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:33 pm

SBL wrote:Flesh out what you mean by shit law. If you're talking about a decent 20 person firm I'm inclined to say do it. If you're talking about insurance defense for 45k take the clerkship. Even if there's no prestige it's easy work and you'll learn skills.
OP: fewer than 10 people doing law focused on helping small- to mid-sized businesses, basically. Not insurance defense or anything like that. Salary is 40-50k like the clerkship.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
SBL wrote:Flesh out what you mean by shit law. If you're talking about a decent 20 person firm I'm inclined to say do it. If you're talking about insurance defense for 45k take the clerkship. Even if there's no prestige it's easy work and you'll learn skills.
OP: fewer than 10 people doing law focused on helping small- to mid-sized businesses, basically. Not insurance defense or anything like that. Salary is 40-50k like the clerkship.
I think it might depend on what city you're in. If this is a really small town where for some external reason you actually want to live and the cost of living is low enough to make that salary work I would consider it. Otherwise I lean heavily on clerkship. Even if it isn't the sort of clerkship that will drop panties in recruiting offices it's a good way to spend a year investing in yourself. I did a not terribly prestigious clerkship myself as a jobless 3L and it was a great experience. I learned a lot and am definitely a better researcher and attorney because of it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:26 pm

SBL wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I think it might depend on what city you're in. If this is a really small town where for some external reason you actually want to live and the cost of living is low enough to make that salary work I would consider it. Otherwise I lean heavily on clerkship. Even if it isn't the sort of clerkship that will drop panties in recruiting offices it's a good way to spend a year investing in yourself. I did a not terribly prestigious clerkship myself as a jobless 3L and it was a great experience. I learned a lot and am definitely a better researcher and attorney because of it.
OP: major market city (NY/LA/CHI, etc). I have been leaning toward the clerkship for similar reasons (lack of panty-dropping aside, sadly). Thanks for sharing your experience!

deepseapartners

Bronze

Post by deepseapartners » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:45 pm

My inclination is to say to take the city clerkship if your ultimate goal is another bite at the Biglaw apple. I can't imagine a very compelling answer to a future interviewer's question about why you took a small law office job over Biglaw, but city has the ring of PI interest that you could maybe spin into "I wanted to see if it was for me."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:39 pm

I think the biglaw ship has sailed. Maybe you could play the public interest card, but I am skeptical.

If the court is one of limited jurisdiction, I'd take the firm. You'll learn skills at the clerkship, undoubtedly, but I'm not sure it will help you get a job and you'll be looking again in a year. What you will be doing at the clerkship won't be very related to what you would be doing at a firm.

If it is a court of general jurisdiction, then I'd take the clerkship. It might not be prestigious, but the court will be doing the kinds of things you will be doing as an attorney at the firms you'd rather be at. That's true at the firm, but you'll be there making shit money for at least 2 years before you could make a move.

SportsFan

Silver

Post by SportsFan » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:15 pm

Just IMO but if you think you'd be totally happy at the firm, do that. If you have doubts about it, do the clerkship and you have a year to find anything else.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”