Shitlaw vs. Cook County Clerkship Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Shitlaw vs. Cook County Clerkship

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:46 pm

I am currently in a position where I will need to decide between a small/midlaw firm and a clerkship in the chancery division. FWIW, pay is similar.

I know the DE chancery is the best one, but I have no idea how a clerkship like this is viewed for employment going forward. Couldn't find anything via searching.

Thank you!

Anonymous User

Re: Shitlaw vs. Cook County Clerkship

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am currently in a position where I will need to decide between a small/midlaw firm and a clerkship in the chancery division. FWIW, pay is similar.

I know the DE chancery is the best one, but I have no idea how a clerkship like this is viewed for employment going forward. Couldn't find anything via searching.

Thank you!
If pay is similar, I think the clerkship gives you better options moving forward. Is there anyway you could accept the firm offer, clerk for the first year out of school while searching for a job you better desire?

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Thank you!
Cook County as in Cook County (Chicago), Illinois? If so, Delaware Chancery Court and Cook County Chancery court are VERY different things.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:03 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thank you!
Cook County as in Cook County (Chicago), Illinois? If so, Delaware Chancery Court and Cook County Chancery court are VERY different things.
Sorry for the ambiguity. This position is for Chicago, yes. I just mentioned DE because I know that is a very prestigious one and it was the only one I saw referenced in my searches. Because of that, I have no idea how this one in Chicago is viewed.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:20 pm

yeah its not prestigious, but if you have loans id get on that PSLF and start knocking out the 10 years. also what kinda shitlaw you talking?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thank you!
Sorry for the ambiguity. This position is for Chicago, yes. I just mentioned DE because I know that is a very prestigious one and it was the only one I saw referenced in my searches. Because of that, I have no idea how this one in Chicago is viewed.
Delaware Chancery Court does almost exclusively corporate law matters because of the huge number of corporations in Delaware. The Cook County Chancery Court pretty much won't do any of that. You are just doing pretty much cases seeking an injunction or maybe mortgage foreclosures. Totally different.

I would say go for the firm unless you could ask firm to do one year clerkship and go back to firm (which I doubt because of small firm + not prestigious clerkship). I think the best judges to clerk for in Cook County would be the Law Division, so absent that I would say no.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thank you!
Delaware Chancery Court does almost exclusively corporate law matters because of the huge number of corporations in Delaware. The Cook County Chancery Court pretty much won't do any of that. You are just doing pretty much cases seeking an injunction or maybe mortgage foreclosures. Totally different.

I would say go for the firm unless you could ask firm to do one year clerkship and go back to firm (which I doubt because of small firm + not prestigious clerkship). I think the best judges to clerk for in Cook County would be the Law Division, so absent that I would say no.
Yes, I am aware. I only referenced DE to bring up the fact that I haven't seen anything about any other chancery courts.

Do not have an option to do both, as far as I am currently aware.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:58 pm

Also, is this in the mortgage foreclosure section of chancery or in the "general" chancery section? Your day-to-day will be drastically different depending on which one.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Also, is this in the mortgage foreclosure section of chancery or in the "general" chancery section? Your day-to-day will be drastically different depending on which one.
Mortgage foreclosure. Any insight? I don't know too much about it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:26 pm

Its pretty miserable. EXTREMELY high volume, not a lot of interesting legal issues, cookie cutter cases, etc...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:41 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:Its pretty miserable. EXTREMELY high volume, not a lot of interesting legal issues, cookie cutter cases, etc...
This is correct (except maybe for the miserable part). Currently an extern in the Cook County Chancery division. Massive docket of cases, all essentially the same in one respect or another. The Judge I work under rarely does any sort of trials. However, very laid back environment and great work/life balance, if that means anything to you. The Chancery division, from what I've noticed, is friendly and close-knit.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”