text Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
WestOfTheRest

Silver

Re: Thoughts on Domestic Labor Market Tension: Foreign Students?

Post by WestOfTheRest » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:52 pm

SmokeyBar wrote: I posted articles about foreign students working in the US, and then I mentioned reciprocal arrangements possibly being a basis for the offering of such opportunities. A reciprocal basis could entail such offerings being available only where the foreign country has similar government immigration policies that allow foreign schools/companies to provide similar offerings. What could these policies entail? Similar to the US. Study at certain schools, and you can enjoy certain OPT benefits. The restrictions on the job-type, employer, amount of pay, and work hours would depend on the agreement made.
You posted articles about why employers favor OPT employees over US employees, but then highlight the lack of reciprocal agreements. So again, that's where the disconnect is.
SmokeyBar wrote:I'm not sure how you can attack what I wrote. Your first post was basically that the US is the best and no one wants to go anywhere else. Thus, foreign students should be able to work in the US and nothing else matters. That's pretty short-sighted.
Umm, no it wasn't. My first post:
WestOfTheRest wrote:This is kind of intellectually dishonest. OPT is just 12 months for the vast majority of people. In the legal industry, it ends up being less because you have to apply for OPT before you start working, which means it expires sooner (think 10 months). There is a 17 month extension available to STEM students, but again, this exists because the US labor market is under-skilled in theses areas.

You are also ignoring the fact that foreign students typically don't get to claim tuition credits in the US (depends on residency). So a foreign student may have paid sticker at an outrageously priced institution and get none of the tax benefits that a US student gets. Instead, that student and the employer don't pay FICA taxes for 10 months.

Xenophobia is interesting. Especially when you are talking about highly skilled and highly educated foreigners. Foreign countries would probably love for the US to stop these types of programs, since its resulting in a "brain drain" from those countries.

SmokeyBar wrote:Even in developing countries, there are relatively strong schools (especially in Asia) and strong domestic companies. Although a US student may not plan to stay in the foreign country long-term, it would be nice if they could pick up a foreign degree (masters) and get some work experience to boot (OPT). However, a lot of foreign countries are not as lenient with their domestic labor markets (more restrictions on OPT).
While you are right, you're largely missing the point of the program. OPT is in place to encourage educated individuals to contribute to the US economy. This is a country built on bringing motivated people into the country. The US economy has been so successful over the past 150 years because the US population has been largely self-selecting. I understand the discomfort with providing what you perceive as a benefit to citizens of countries that don't do the same for you, but it is this sort of thing that has kept America ahead of the rest of the world for as long as it has been.

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:59 pm

SmokeyBar wrote:I found the statistic (the number has probably gone up from 2013):

"As of November 2013, about 100,000 of the approximately 1 million foreign students in the United States were approved to participate in OPT—an employment benefit that allows foreign students to obtain temporary work in their areas of study during and after completing an academic program..."

ICE says theres a problem:
http://gao.gov/products/GAO-14-356

Chuck Grassley seems to think there's a problem too:
http://www.grassley.senate.gov/news/new ... s-enrolled
Roughly 10% of foreign students use the program then? A number which, in 2013, represented about .06% of the total US workforce.

And that doesn't say anything about the number of foreign students abusing the system.

I still don't see what the problem is.

SmokeyBar

New

Post by SmokeyBar » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:00 pm

text spam
Last edited by SmokeyBar on Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:06 pm

this just seems like a pretty great program overall to me. why would we want educated workers leaving the US

SmokeyBar

New

Post by SmokeyBar » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:06 pm

text spam

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SmokeyBar

New

Post by SmokeyBar » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:13 pm

Last edited by SmokeyBar on Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:14 pm

SmokeyBar wrote:
fats provolone wrote:this just seems like a pretty great program overall to me. why would we want educated workers leaving the US
I agree that the immigration of talent makes the US great. Off the topic of my head, I remember hearing a statistic that 1/4th of the start-ups in Silicon Valley are from non-US citizens. As previously mentioned, I am not against favorable immigration policies to attract foreign talent.
so, conversely, why would we want to make it easier for top US minds to leave the country permanently in search of waifus

SmokeyBar

New

Post by SmokeyBar » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:19 pm

text spam

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:22 pm

SmokeyBar wrote:
fats provolone wrote:
SmokeyBar wrote:
fats provolone wrote:this just seems like a pretty great program overall to me. why would we want educated workers leaving the US
I agree that the immigration of talent makes the US great. Off the topic of my head, I remember hearing a statistic that 1/4th of the start-ups in Silicon Valley are from non-US citizens. As previously mentioned, I am not against favorable immigration policies to attract foreign talent.
so, conversely, why would we want to make it easier for top US minds to leave the country permanently in search of waifus
How do you define "top US minds" and what do you mean by "make it easier" for them to leave "permanently"?
create programs like OPT in other countries that allow them an easier pathway to obtaining permanent employment abroad? i.e., what i thought you were advocating for?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SmokeyBar

New

Post by SmokeyBar » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:32 pm

text spam
Last edited by SmokeyBar on Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

heythatslife

Silver

Post by heythatslife » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:53 pm

Why do you keep insisting on creating something there will be minimal demand for anyway? The main reasons that more Americans do not get degrees and jobs abroad are the lack of desire/information and unattractive pay, not visa obstacles.

SmokeyBar

New

Post by SmokeyBar » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:15 pm

Last edited by SmokeyBar on Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

heythatslife

Silver

Post by heythatslife » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:53 pm

SmokeyBar wrote:I've lived/studied/worked abroad for a substantial amount of time. Although anecdotal, many students I've crossed paths with have expressed interest in working abroad. If one has a degree from foreign country x, it would probably be more attractive to US employers if one had work experience related to that particular degree (in that particular foreign country).
I've spent a lot of time abroad too, and I have run into people who were on exchange programs or doing full-time degrees in the countries I was at. For those people who fail to or choose not to get work experience where they study, it's because they have to compete with locals for jobs that pay low wages by American standards. People who had to leave despite having jobs because visa didn't work out have been quite rare in my experience. Creating OPT-equivalent programs isn't going to magically solve the underlying issues.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SmokeyBar

New

Post by SmokeyBar » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:42 pm

text spam

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”