Big Law Turnaround Time Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Big Law Turnaround Time

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:27 pm

What's the usual turnaround time for firms to get back to a lateral candidate after a callback interview? I recently interviewed with a V50 firm in the Bay Area (it's a satellite office) and I'm just curious if I should give up on any good news after more than a week or so. Thanks

ruski

Bronze

Re: Big Law Turnaround Time

Post by ruski » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:07 pm

it takes much longer than 2L recruiting. they are usually hiring for one specific slot, so its not like offering 100 pple with the hopes that ~25 accept. they have one spot, so they interview some people, advance the one they like, and then they'll offer him and then press that person to accept/reject asap so they can move on to next person. that person may drag it out and request for extension or for office visit and meanwhile the firm cant move forward with other applicants bc they only have one spot and this guy might take it. when I was lateraling I got the green light that I moved to the next round sometimes 2 weeks after interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:19 pm

Thanks for the reply ruski. So I actually got the interview after I met one of the partners out for lunch. We kinda clicked, and she invited me in to interview with the rest of her team/colleagues. The firm does not have any job postings up for a junior associate (I'm a 1st year), so it makes me nervous about what's really going on. Also, I'm trying to retool myself as a corporate/transactional attorney now (which the firm was well aware of before I was invited in for an interview), so I'm not sure if the decision makers are pondering over that. I just want to know already lol! :(

ruski

Bronze

Post by ruski » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:57 pm

they may have issues getting HR and/or partner committee approval for a new hire in that case. oddly enough I tried lateraling as a first year, received interview and callback in a more informal manner, really hit it off with team, then got blocked by hr.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:22 pm

Is there a reason why HR plays such a huge role, aside from conflicts? I'm kind of surprised that HR has the power to block a candidate. Also, I initially met with the hiring partner and interviewed with the hiring partner from another office. You'd think they would have pull on the hiring committee. Sigh...the stress/anxiety is getting to me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”