mailed resume with a glaring typo Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

mailed resume with a glaring typo

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:59 pm

So ive been working on a connection to talk to a partner at a firm, and i finally printed resume out on nice paper, mailed it...i had to reformat a few times to account for a new position, and then realized that there was a glaring formating error in the resume. Seriously, should I kill self? This is already in the mail. What do i do?

Chrstgtr

Bronze

Re: mailed resume with a glaring typo

Post by Chrstgtr » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:02 am

Just send a digital copy and say you also sent one in the mail. That way when the snail mail gets there it will be auto-trashed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:03 am

Don't have an email address, the connections are old fashioned. Will try to get one though
Chrstgtr wrote:Just send a digital copy and say you also sent one in the mail. That way when the snail mail gets there it will be auto-trashed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:14 am

please tell me this isn't a dealbreaker. The formating error was honestly a result of me changing the font sizes, ugh....well i didn't notice it right away....i hope my connection is enough to snag me the interview without me coming in looking like a schmuck.

eriedoctrine

Bronze

Post by eriedoctrine » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:Don't have an email address, the connections are old fashioned. Will try to get one though
Chrstgtr wrote:Just send a digital copy and say you also sent one in the mail. That way when the snail mail gets there it will be auto-trashed.
But why don't YOU have an email address? :?:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:23 am

eriedoctrine wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Don't have an email address, the connections are old fashioned. Will try to get one though
But why don't YOU have an email address? :?:
Lol. I obviously do. I put so much fucking effort into this, including expensive watermarked paper and snail mail.

eriedoctrine

Bronze

Post by eriedoctrine » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:28 am

Call postal and attempt to stop mail, then resend.
If not, simply resend resume in mail with attached note indicating that it was updated.

Nekrowizard

Bronze

Post by Nekrowizard » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:29 am

How can you not have an email address for the guy? Is it such a small firm that they don't have attorney profiles with email addresses or something?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:32 am

Mid size firm with profiles but hidden email addresses, you email through a for or something, probably for clients.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:33 am

Thing is this will probably be delivered within a day...basically being sent across the street. My contact will call them in 2 days to follow up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:48 am

If you can find any email address of someone at the firm you can probably figure out the email address of the person you want to email as those tend to all follow the same format, and I bet with a targeted Google search you should be able to reverse engineer that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:53 am

Thanks. I'll try to do this. But, in the event I can't, how fucked am I?

Rlabo

Silver

Post by Rlabo » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks. I'll try to do this. But, in the event I can't, how fucked am I?
No point in worrying about something that is out of your control at this point – just do what you can to fix it and if you need help with that search PM me some details and we'll see if we can't get an email address.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks. I'll try to do this. But, in the event I can't, how fucked am I?
Everyone in this thread is nuts. Do not send a corrected resume. Chances are that the partner will do no more than glance at your resume anyway.

Also, you described your mistake as a "formatting error." Do you mean that you used fonts of different sizes or something like that? If so, no one is going to care.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:04 am

rpupkin wrote:
Everyone in this thread is nuts. Do not send a corrected resume. Chances are that the partner will do no more than glance at your resume anyway.

Also, you described your mistake as a "formatting error." Do you mean that you used fonts of different sizes or something like that? If so, no one is going to care.
Grammar and all is fine- I changed fonts and so the result was one of my dates, instead of being in a neat column aligning win all the other dates that are usually on the right side, was now under the position/title for one of the positions,

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

Grammar and all is fine- I changed fonts and so the result was one of my dates, instead of being in a neat column aligning win all the other dates that are usually on the right side, was now under the position/title for one of the positions,
Irrelevant. 90% chance no one notices. And if someone does notice, 99% chance they won't care.

Rlabo

Silver

Post by Rlabo » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:12 am

rpupkin wrote:

OP described the error as glaring. If it's that obvious than the partner may not even need to read it but it may be evident on its face. I don't know what the error is so couldn't say for sure though I would tend to agree that if one portion was in 12 font and the other is in 10, no big deal. That being said, if the part was in 6 instead of 10, that may raise some eyebrows. What it all comes down to is the "meant to do it" factor – if looking at the resume would someone think that you meant to do whatever was done, or is it patently obvious that it was an error? And just because you, OP, are personally aware of such error, does not make it patently obvious so knowing what you meant by glaring would be helpful.

That being said, if this was indeed glaring like you mentioned, I doubt the partner you hope to interview with is not going to give a quick read through, let alone an actual reading of it. It really depends on the partner. Some wouldnt care if you misspelled your name, and other are assholes just looking for a typo.

If you do send an email with the update, I would not in anyway highlight the update or change-I would likely just call it a courtesy copy and that a copy is in the mail.
Last edited by Rlabo on Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Rlabo

Silver

Post by Rlabo » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

Yea that's likely not glaring enough to warrant a follow up.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:18 am

Rlabo wrote: If you do send an email with the update, I would not in anyway highlight the update or change-I would likely just call it a courtesy copy and that a copy is in the mail.
There's another factor here: the partner did not give the OP his email address, and that email address is not publicly available on a web site. Trying to find that email address somewhere—or trying to "reverse engineer" it, as someone proposed—is not a great idea. Some partners (especially older partners) are protective of their email addresses. They won't care about some trivial formatting error, but they will care about stalking their email address even though they didn't give it to you.

OP: don't pursue a cure that's worse than the disease.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:29 am

Fair point and I tend to agree that the point is not egregious enough to bring up in the first place.

Mola Ram

New

Post by Mola Ram » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

When we hire 2Ls, we see a lot of resumes. People try and jam tons of extraneous stuff in (I don't give a shit about your college ultimate Frisbee exploits), so there is naturally oddball formatting stuff from time to time. If the content is good, then weird formatting stuff or whatever won't matter. If the content isn't good, then the weird formatting stuff or whatever won't matter.

Don't kill yourself, but do correct it and delete the old version. It's possible that the partner will want an electronic version to circulate to others if you pass muster.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:21 am

Quit using bougie watermarked paper.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:46 am

RaceJudicata wrote:Quit using bougie watermarked paper.

I've heard that old folks like it....but thanks everyone, got made me feel a little better about this. I've corrected it already. Hopefully my connection can get me a meeting at least

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Post by gaddockteeg » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:18 am

nice.

Buck Strickland

New

Post by Buck Strickland » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:15 pm

I agree that this error was not something to get worked up about. But for future reference, I was able to get a lot of emails during my mass mailing process this year by calling the firm's front desk and just asking for a specific person's email address. I didn't need to identify myself and they never asked me why I needed the address. So if this happens to anyone in the future and you want to get an email in ahead of the receipt of your flawed hardcopy, you should give this a try.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”