Non-NYC Associates: What car do you drive? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Desert Fox

Diamond

DFTHREAD

Post by Desert Fox » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:52 pm

Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

PourMeTea

Platinum

Re: Non-NYC Associates: What car do you drive?

Post by PourMeTea » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:54 pm

SweetrollStealer wrote:Any DC associates drive cars? Tryna decide whether it's worth getting one.
not an associate but traffic/cost of parking is more of a pain than taking the metro if you live within walking distance. it's only worth having for grocery shopping pretty much.

nealric

Post by nealric » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:04 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
El Pollito wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:How much more is a BMW v. a Camry anyway? It's not that different is it? At least a three series.
driving a 3 series is the saddest thing ever though
Nah a 3 series is a decent car (or at least was when I was last looking at buying a car in 2009), but thinking it's something baller is hilarious. Also buying a 10 year old used one is sad as fuck.
E46 3-series make great track cars. You aren't going to strip and cage a new car. The new F30 is a clear step down from the E90 and E46 anyways (terrible electronic power steering, cheap feeling interior), so I wouldn't call someone turning down the F30 sad at all.

OklahomasOK

Bronze

Post by OklahomasOK » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:39 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
El Pollito wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:How much more is a BMW v. a Camry anyway? It's not that different is it? At least a three series.
driving a 3 series is the saddest thing ever though
Nah a 3 series is a decent car (or at least was when I was last looking at buying a car in 2009), but thinking it's something baller is hilarious. Also buying a 10 year old used one is sad as fuck.
They're great under warranty. You roll the dice outside of the warranty. It's a solid entry level luxury car.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:44 pm

BMWs literally last forever

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:28 pm

VW diesel

BrokenMouse

Silver

Post by BrokenMouse » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:29 pm

lol
Last edited by BrokenMouse on Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:VW diesel
Hardy har
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:36 am

bmw 335i is a pretty pleasurable drive, though.

had an audi a5, but ditched it. was gonna get a nicer car, but el pollito is right: just cant justify spending that much. doesnt feel right.

also i dont want a commitment hanging over me. i plan to spend 6 months of the year in other countries so having a car locally is just pure waste.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

twenty 8

Bronze

Post by twenty 8 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:21 am

Although most of the partners here drive some type of a Mercedes I just ordered a 2016 Audi A3 convertible. It’s roughly +60k less than a comparable Mercedes. If I were constantly driving clients around I might have been more open to a Mercedes, but I don’t, so why spend the extra $? I drive everyday and I cannot see myself ever buying a hardtop (although there were a couple with really nice sunroofs that almost made me change my mind).

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:07 am

twenty 8 wrote:Although most of the partners here drive some type of a Mercedes I just ordered a 2016 Audi A3 convertible. It’s roughly +60k less than a comparable Mercedes. If I were constantly driving clients around I might have been more open to a Mercedes, but I don’t, so why spend the extra $? I drive everyday and I cannot see myself ever buying a hardtop (although there were a couple with really nice sunroofs that almost made me change my mind).

Why do people/you buy new cars? I don't understand it. You lose 40% of the value just driving it off the lot. A two year old Audi in the same condition with low mileage will be half or less than half the cost.

I've always bought used cars with low mileage and I always will until I'm convinced otherwise.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:10 am

jbagelboy wrote:
twenty 8 wrote:Although most of the partners here drive some type of a Mercedes I just ordered a 2016 Audi A3 convertible. It’s roughly +60k less than a comparable Mercedes. If I were constantly driving clients around I might have been more open to a Mercedes, but I don’t, so why spend the extra $? I drive everyday and I cannot see myself ever buying a hardtop (although there were a couple with really nice sunroofs that almost made me change my mind).

Why do people/you buy new cars? I don't understand it. You lose 40% of the value just driving it off the lot. A two year old Audi in the same condition with low mileage will be half or less than half the cost.

I've always bought used cars with low mileage and I always will until I'm convinced otherwise.
I do the same as you jbagelboy, but your "lose 40% of the value" statement is hyperbole. I think the initial value hit is probably closer to 10% - 15%. No way it's close to 40%.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:20 am

rpupkin wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

I do the same as you jbagelboy, but your "lose 40% of the value" statement is hyperbole. I think the initial value hit is probably closer to 10% - 15%. No way it's close to 40%.
Okay you're right, its not that steep from a literal resale perspective. It probably depends on the car, with higher priced luxury vehicles retaining less of their initial value than toyota corollas, ect. However, from an actuarial perspective, you're losing some unstated value in uncompensated depreciation and risk; a mere fender bender, if reported to insurance, will torpedo a new car's value (at least IME).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:50 am

jbagelboy wrote:

You know you're getting a car in perfect condition.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:57 am

It's time for a new car - currently in a 2014 Mazda 3 and I'm bored with it. Either going for an M3, or possibly a 340 or S4 if my wife decides to quit her job and stay home next year. I drive a lot, so I want a car I actually enjoy being inside.

nealric

Post by nealric » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:04 am

star fox wrote:BMWs literally last forever
Any car lasts forever outside the rust belt if you keep throwing parts at it. Older BMWs used very reliable straight six motors. The new turbocharged motors have proven much less reliable (especially the N54 motor in the 335i until 2011), though they are probably getting better (n55 in the new 335i is better).

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:58 am

star fox wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

You know you're getting a car in perfect condition.
LOL. There is no such thing as "perfect condition." Didn't you read about manufacturing defects in torts? For me, one reason to buy a low-mileage, two-year-old car is that the first owner already dealt with recalls and other problems. In general, I'd say there's less maintenance between years two and four than between years zero and two.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:16 pm

jbagelboy wrote:

1: Can't lease a used car.
2: I know what I'm getting. I saw too many piece of shit cars cleaned up to look great for a bit, but that would eventually be maintenance hassles.
3: I like new toys on my car.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:21 pm

If any of you know high level executives with company cars, try buying the car once they are done with it (that way you know who was driving and how well they took care of it). These are usually changed in 2-3 years interval. I did this and bought (on behalf of someone else) a car worth 50k with 2.5 years of use with less than 20k miles for 27k. That person can actually resell it right now and get the 27k back.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:15 pm

jbagelboy wrote:

I don't like preowned stuff.

I've also never had any maintenance between years 0-2 that wasn't your basic oil change.

(Of course, I buy econoboxes, so..)

DportIA

Bronze

Post by DportIA » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:48 pm

Chicago:

Don't have a car, live in a West Town/ Ukranian Village apartment for $650 rent, take blue line to work and uber home from the office at firm's expense.

=Embarrassment of riches/ Profit.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”