The dumbest questions in the legal employment forum... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

The dumbest questions in the legal employment forum...

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:51 pm

How are Vault rankings calculated? Do they take boutiques into account? If so, how? Is it a "bad" idea to take a boutique position rather than a major GP job?

thesealocust

Platinum

Re: The dumbest questions in the legal employment forum...

Post by thesealocust » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:08 pm

Every year, Vault sends a survey link to (basically all) associates at large law firms. The link contains a list of most major law firms, and asks respondents to give each firm a ranking from 1 to 10 (or maybe it was 1 to 5?) in prestige. The respondent's own firm is not included in the list.

That's it. That's your vault rankings.

I've taken the survey before, it was truly an absurd and useless exercise.

mister logical

Bronze

Post by mister logical » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:10 pm

thesealocust wrote:Every year, Vault sends a survey link to (basically all) associates at large law firms. The link contains a list of most major law firms, and asks respondents to give each firm a ranking from 1 to 10 (or maybe it was 1 to 5?) in prestige. The respondent's own firm is not included in the list.

So the prestige surrounding Vault rankings stems from associate ranking their own firms?

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:40 pm

mister logical wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Every year, Vault sends a survey link to (basically all) associates at large law firms. The link contains a list of most major law firms, and asks respondents to give each firm a ranking from 1 to 10 (or maybe it was 1 to 5?) in prestige. The respondent's own firm is not included in the list.

So the prestige surrounding Vault rankings stems from associate ranking their own firms?
Yeah - it's voted on by associates.

It's stupid for numerous reasons. Associates generally aren't closely involved with opposing counsel or anything like that, nor do they have a ton of experience working for different firms. Also, an associate's ranking will likely be very myopic - to what extent you're aware of the ability of other firms, it will likely be in whatever area of practice you are in. Finally, I believe all associates are asked to fill it out, including first years.

Winter is Coming

Bronze

Post by Winter is Coming » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:31 pm

You can't vote for your own firm, but yeah it's dumb. To be fair to vault though, they literally say the methodology on top of the rankings--its not like its buried in some disclosure. "Prestige" is kind of a bullshit term but they only people who care about firm "prestige" are the people who work at firms anyway, so why not ask them and make the circle jerk complete?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:42 pm

Imagine if the USNWR law school rankings were based solely on peer assessment scores, with first-year law students voting instead of law school administrators and professors. Apply that to law firms and you've got the Vault rankings.

Ken Kesey

New

Post by Ken Kesey » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:38 pm

Looks at Chambers rankings for the city and practice area. They're a lot more useful than vault. Vault clearly says how they get their rankings on their website.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:51 pm

I asked my interviewers at O'Melveny & Myers why they believed they were voted #1 for hours by associates on Vault. I realize that's a terrible question to ask for reasons that represent most of what's wrong with this industry, but I was sunk anyways. They looked at me as if I had just dropped my pants and shat in the corner of the room.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I asked my interviewers at O'Melveny & Myers why they believed they were voted #1 for hours by associates on Vault. I realize that's a terrible question to ask for reasons that represent most of what's wrong with this industry, but I was sunk anyways. They looked at me as if I had just dropped my pants and shat in the corner of the room.
Great story. I seem to recall that Dewey & LeBouef was a regular in the "best law firms for Hours" list. And then they went bankrupt. Although I wish it were otherwise, it's generally not a good sign if the firm leads the pack in this category.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

anyriotgirl

Platinum

Post by anyriotgirl » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:07 pm

Can this be the next tls group troll?

Reed Smith to V5!!!

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:03 am

The only thing the firms on the "lifestyle" Vault rankings have in common, I assume, is management that harasses associates into giving the firm straight 10s.

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:17 pm

anyriotgirl wrote:Can this be the next tls group troll?

Reed Smith to V5!!!
We should have enough associates on TLS to screw with the survey. We should pick one firm to arbitrarily vote up and one to arbitrarily vote down.

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:06 am

Time for Schulte to be recognized for the power house it is.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Broscientist

New

Post by Broscientist » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:53 pm

It seems like everyone believes Vault ranks are arbitrary. Why does TLS care so much about them?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:59 pm

Broscientist wrote:It seems like everyone believes Vault ranks are arbitrary. Why does TLS care so much about them?
TLS is a collection of a huge number of people, but the hivemind actually doesn't care about them, and is fully aware of their deficiencies. But it's shorthand that gets regularly used, and the rankings themselves have garbage methodology but still accidentally reflect some measure of useful information - at least for corporate practices in New York. And since corporate practices in New York are a plurality of desirable entry level legal jobs, that makes vault rankings not useless in many circumstances. Through no fault of their own.

Still though, for all specific questions you see people pointed to Chambers & Partners, and you regularly see people caution against relying on vault rankings when making decisions - especially outside of NYC.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:02 pm

Broscientist wrote:It seems like everyone believes Vault ranks are arbitrary. Why does TLS care so much about them?
Some things are just not meant to be understood. The TLS way is to mock Vault when posting under one's username and then, moments later, to start an anon thread titled "V10 associate taking questions"

Broscientist

New

Post by Broscientist » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:11 pm

thesealocust wrote:
TLS is a collection of a huge number of people, but the hivemind actually doesn't care about them, and is fully aware of their deficiencies. But it's shorthand that gets regularly used, and the rankings themselves have garbage methodology but still accidentally reflect some measure of useful information - at least for corporate practices in New York. And since corporate practices in New York are a plurality of desirable entry level legal jobs, that makes vault rankings not useless in many circumstances. Through no fault of their own.

Still though, for all specific questions you see people pointed to Chambers & Partners, and you regularly see people caution against relying on vault rankings when making decisions - especially outside of NYC.
Does the hivemind care about AmLaw 100 firms? NLJ250-350? Or is Chambers the go-to compilation?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:23 pm

Chambers & Partners tries to rank specific practices based on client satisfaction, which actually makes sense. All the others rank practices by size, profitability, or bullshit "prestige" surveys.

That doesn't make them always useless - it can be helpful shorthand when talking and discussing firms, even if it's not a useful ordinal ranking of firms.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:28 pm

LEWIS BRISBOIS BIRAGAR AND SMITH TO V5 STATUS WITHIN THE NEXT 2 YEARS

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”