Pros and Cons of Staying in Biglaw vs. Jumping to Nonlegal Job Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Pros and Cons of Staying in Biglaw vs. Jumping to Nonlegal Job

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:38 pm

I read a few threads on this but didn't really find anything specific to my situation. I'm a midlevel associate with an offer to jump to another company, a nonlegal job. Good pay, better hours, related to my field. What are the pros and cons of leaving biglaw now vs. staying for a few more years in biglaw? What should I consider in making my decision? What if I get fired at the other company -- are my chances of going back into law nonexistent?

Anonymous User

Re: Pros and Cons of Staying in Biglaw vs. Jumping to Nonlegal Job

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:19 pm

This is anecdotal because I'm practicing law still. My understanding is that if you leave law, it is very hard to come back. In part, because it will be difficult to craft a story as to why you want to return to law after leaving it.

If you want to leave the law, go for it. No sense waiting it out. With that said, it is hard to provide advice without knowing what field you are going into. It is possible that a few more years in big law might be worthwhile, but I feel like it's highly unlikely.

Why do you want to leave law? What field are you going into? You say this is in a related field - do you have a solid understanding of your day to day activities and whether you will enjoy this more than the practice of law? Will this new job provide you with upward mobility within this new career? Will you be marketable beyond this job?

Have you carefully considered whether you would want to move in-house? Unless this is a rare opportunity that is truly fabulous, it might be worth trying in-house before leaving the practice of law completely. With that said, the answers to the questions above should help us provide you with guidance.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”