How to find a place to live during Summer Associate? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How to find a place to live during Summer Associate?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:42 pm

Like a fair number of people, I got a SA for next summer in a different city than I currently live in. What do people usually do when it comes to living arrangements? I was thinking of looking for short subleases, maybe through craigslist, but then I thought maybe I could AirBnB a place for 8-10 weeks which might be cheaper. Any thoughts on what people have found to be the most cost effective living situation for this?

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Re: How to find a place to live during Summer Associate?

Post by WokeUpInACar » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Like a fair number of people, I got a SA for next summer in a different city than I currently live in. What do people usually do when it comes to living arrangements? I was thinking of looking for short subleases, maybe through craigslist, but then I thought maybe I could AirBnB a place for 8-10 weeks which might be cheaper. Any thoughts on what people have found to be the most cost effective living situation for this?
Just say where it is. You're anonymous and people could be more helpful that way.

But anyway, for NYC I got an Airbnb this summer. I wouldn't say it was the cheapest, but it definitely allows you more choice in location/amenities than a lot of other options. Plus, as opposed to Craigslist, you often get reviews for the place in question, whereas you have to be so damn vigilant about scams on CL and can still never be sure.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:00 pm

OP, city will be NYC. Yeah I was leaning more towards AirBnB because I hate having to be so vigilant about scams/weirdos / false advertising on craigslist.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:28 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote: But anyway, for NYC I got an Airbnb this summer. I wouldn't say it was the cheapest, but it definitely allows you more choice in location/amenities than a lot of other options. Plus, as opposed to Craigslist, you often get reviews for the place in question, whereas you have to be so damn vigilant about scams on CL and can still never be sure.
I did the same and co-sign this analysis

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:39 pm

Is Airbnb a viable option for DC as well? How far in advanced do you have to agree to rent for a month or two?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Companion Cube

Silver

Post by Companion Cube » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:50 pm

I will be airbnb'ing. Dunno when I will book it yet tho. Prolly January?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:29 pm

Any Chi-town advice on housing would also be appreciated. It's early AF, so I'm probably gonna wait until early next year to think about it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:47 pm

Gonna be a couple blocks from Grand Central this summer. Sounds like Air BnB is the popular choice? Which areas should I be looking and how far in advance should I be searching?

whats an updog

Bronze

Post by whats an updog » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:19 pm

Not in New York, just curious how much you guys are shelling out for your places on airbnb over there?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:20 pm

Get in contact with friends who go to law/grad school in the city you'll be in. I'm sure they'll know people who need to sublet.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any Chi-town advice on housing would also be appreciated. It's early AF, so I'm probably gonna wait until early next year to think about it.
My summer, there was an excel sheet with UChi and NU people who were leaving the city that got disseminated to other schools somehow. I sublet my place to someone from Harvard this way. Not sure if it will exist next summer but try to get in touch with people from those schools.
whats an updog wrote:Not in New York, just curious how much you guys are shelling out for your places on airbnb over there?
I paid like $3300 for a studio but the location and timing was right.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:52 am

Does anybody have any ideas about Del Mar in San Diego?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anybody have any ideas about Del Mar in San Diego?
Del Mar is only 10-15 minutes away from La Jolla and UCSD. I'd have to imagine there's quite a bit of UCSD students who need a summer sublet for their place. That may mean going through craigslist, but you should be able to find summer long subleases in the UTC/La Jolla area without too much of a problem.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Trippel

Bronze

Post by Trippel » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:56 am

2014 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any Chi-town advice on housing would also be appreciated. It's early AF, so I'm probably gonna wait until early next year to think about it.
My summer, there was an excel sheet with UChi and NU people who were leaving the city that got disseminated to other schools somehow. I sublet my place to someone from Harvard this way. Not sure if it will exist next summer but try to get in touch with people from those schools.
whats an updog wrote:Not in New York, just curious how much you guys are shelling out for your places on airbnb over there?
I paid like $3300 for a studio but the location and timing was right.
Thanks, the $3,300 was per month, right? Sorry for being ridiculously ignorant about this.

wwwcol

Bronze

Post by wwwcol » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is Airbnb a viable option for DC as well? How far in advanced do you have to agree to rent for a month or two?
Yes, plenty of airBNB options in DC. Also, there are lots of DC law students who will be working in other cities and looking to subrent, so that is a good option (I did this and many of my friends did). Significantly cheaper than airBNB. You can search FB for GULC/GW/etc housing/student groups and start there

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:53 am

are you going to SM? if so please pm me

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:59 am

I did airbnb as well and it worked just fine. I paid less than many of my colleagues.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:04 am

2014 wrote:
Yeah, there's going to be a ton of people who will be out for the summer looking to sublet so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a sub-letter.

But I would stick with NU people, UChi people tend to live in Hyde Park which will be a more annoying commute.

whats an updog

Bronze

Post by whats an updog » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:18 am

what someone said above is true (UCSD has tons of sublets in the summer), but last i checked, airbnb has extremely reasonable options for one person in encinitas/leucadia and solana beach that would probably be way closer to the beach and much more chill than la jolla if that's appealing to you

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:25 pm

Trippel wrote: Thanks, the $3,300 was per month, right? Sorry for being ridiculously ignorant about this.
Yep

And at least half of UChi 2Ls usually move north. I'd reach out to both.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:34 pm

2014 wrote:
Trippel wrote: Thanks, the $3,300 was per month, right? Sorry for being ridiculously ignorant about this.
Yep

3300 per month for a studio is extremely expensive, even for manhattan. Only do that if you're independently wealthy; don't throw your after-tax SA salary at rent.

You can find a studio for 1700-1900, or better yet do a two bedroom share with a friend (or with three others) and you can get your summer rent down to 1200-1500.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is Airbnb a viable option for DC as well? How far in advanced do you have to agree to rent for a month or two?
Airbnb is viable in DC as well. You'd want to give it a month+ though in advance.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:59 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
2014 wrote:
Yep

3300 per month for a studio is extremely expensive, even for manhattan. Only do that if you're independently wealthy; don't throw your after-tax SA salary at rent.

You can find a studio for 1700-1900, or better yet do a two bedroom share with a friend (or with three others) and you can get your summer rent down to 1200-1500.
I did it in large part because my dates were unconventional. I had to start late and move out early to accommodate a split. It would have cost me as much or more to rent for the whole summer and leave it empty for most of it and airbnb made it easy. Living with a friend or two is definitely the thing to do to save though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:22 pm

We should set up a TLS exchange. For example, I am at CLS (admittedly location isn't quite as desirable as NYU or Fordham), but I will be out of market and looking for housing at UCLA or USC this summer. I'd feel more comfortable knowing my reasonable rate 1 bdrm was going to a summer associate than a rando on Craigslist.

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:We should set up a TLS exchange. For example, I am at CLS (admittedly location isn't quite as desirable as NYU or Fordham), but I will be out of market and looking for housing at UCLA or USC this summer. I'd feel more comfortable knowing my reasonable rate 1 bdrm was going to a summer associate than a rando on Craigslist.
Here ya go: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... hilit=swap

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”