DLA (any office) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

DLA (any office)

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:58 pm

Has anyone heard from DLA yet? I know they do centralized hiring and I'm wondering why they're taking so long. I CB'd almost 5 weeks ago and have heard nothing, I was not given a timeline at the CB but I feel like it's getting a little ridiculous here...

Anonymous User

Re: DLA (any office)

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:19 pm

Which office?
I know some offices are still doing CBs

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:24 am

I interviewed at the DC office 3 weeks ago and have heard nothing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:25 am

NYC 3 weeks ago. Nothing. What is going on here? What is this "centralized recruiting" you speak of?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:01 am

I believe they make all their hiring decisions at the same time and only have one recruiter...so it's unlikely that any particular office has offers out when others don't. I'm really bummed about this because DLA is my top choice.

Has anyone tried following up with recruiting?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:30 pm

I reached out to them about the delay, got dinged the next day... so don't do that..

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:52 pm

Urgh this is so frustrating

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:52 am

Assuming I have struck out everywhere but DLA...what should I do now? I think I have a pretty good shot with them, but sitting on my hands is driving me crazy. I'm afraid to follow up and put any pressure on them as the poster above can attest to..but does anyone have any insight here?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:40 am

Bumping...anyone heard anything?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:12 pm

Emailed LA office and they said they're still reviewing candidates

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:19 pm

Recently MM'd...what sort of stats do I needs for a CBat DLA?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:00 pm

Any DLA associates want to chime in about firm culture, stability, type of work, etc.? Waiting to hear back from a CB but hoping to Enjoy this firm. TIA.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:32 pm

Is this why the firm has a reputation of being "enjoyed"? If it's waited this long to even hand out offers, how many people who would've wanted them have already gone elsewhere because of expiring offers etc.?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:21 pm

Any news from LA office?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is this why the firm has a reputation of being "enjoyed"? If it's waited this long to even hand out offers, how many people who would've wanted them have already gone elsewhere because of expiring offers etc.?
My impression from haunting these boards: DLA catches shit for being huge and amorphous, and not being known for much of anything beyond being huge and amorphous. The "enjoy dla piper" meme seems like a remnant from an earlier age when far more folks that wanted biglaw could usually get something; DLA was considered a lesser outcome than most. I could be wrong. It pops up on reddit too, so whether it originated here or elsewhere is anyone's guess. Somewhere some washed out Baker & McKenzie associate is still chuckling over his shitty meme as he gets ready to send out another round of shitlaw applications.

Don't turn down an offer because of echo chamber nonsense. It's not like people warning you away from K&L Gates for legitimate reasons. It's a safe bet that no one saying "enjoy dla piper" has actually worked there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:06 am

It seems really risky for a firm to be so slow with this process...are they banking on the students with no other offers? I'm sure they're losing tons of applicants yo other firms right now...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:09 pm

they probably put offers out a while ago and everyone still waiting is probably on hold, or silently dinged. my (uninformed) impression was that while they have a million offices in general, none hire particularly large classes, so there's a good chance that the few who have offers aren't posting on here

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jamesrrdaniel

New

Post by jamesrrdaniel » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:23 pm

Hi. I was a SA this past summer at DLA and accepted the post-grad offer. I can answer any questions you guys might have.

My personal opinion:
DLA is indeed huge, but surprisingly quite flexible. You don't get a sense of slow moving or inefficient bureaucracy.
As for work/office culture/stability I think this is universal for every law firm, it's office dependent. But for the most part, I got a positive response from my fellow SAs during the summer event. I really enjoyed working at my office. Partners and associates were very nice and I got a feeling that they do care about your professional growth. They were very open to all my questions and they took time to explain things to me. There were couple partners/associates that were infamous for being difficult to work with, but I think that's anywhere you go. You got to pick your assignments so you could easily avoid them.
There were lots of work. During my time there, I saw lot of lateraling in and not many people leaving. The partner to associate ratio is supposedly closer to 1:1 than other firms, which I think is true based on my observation.
I had a great time during my summer. I'm very happy with my choice. We shall see if that changes post-bar... :D

From my understanding:
As for recruiting, every office has a hiring partner or hiring committee (depending on how big the office is). Then there is the national hiring manager. And the hiring recommendations from each offices get sent up to the hiring manager, who then submits it to the executive/managing committee which approves it or whatnot.

As for people still waiting for DLA's decision, sorry it's taking so long. But I think you'll be happy to hear that it's actually a good thing. DLA is very conservative in its estimate. They prefer to underestimate and lateral-in hires than to overextend and have to layoff people.

Let me know if you there are any questions.

jamesrrdaniel

New

Post by jamesrrdaniel » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:33 pm

Oh btw, I think centralized hiring is only for designating how many per office. But who will be hired is office decision.

And if I recall, my CB and offer was about 6 weeks apart. I had given up on them by then, and was decided on a different firm. I agree they did take too long. At least you didn't get dinged right away. My guess is they already made offers to other people and are waiting to hear back from them. I think it's sort of true people keep DLA offer as a backup while they wait for response from more prestigious firms. Takes time for things to trickle down.

At this point, there's really nothing you can do but wait. They are already putting pressure on people with their offers, but there's so much they can do.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:30 pm

Heard from a partner from one of the larger DLA offices that they hadn't sent out any offers yet (as of last week), not sure if that applies to every office or not.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:03 pm

No word from LA office. OCI interviews was almost 2 months ago.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:45 pm

Just got dinged from the LA office. Good luck to everyone else!

jamesrrdaniel

New

Post by jamesrrdaniel » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got dinged from the LA office. Good luck to everyone else!
Sorry to hear that. If I recall correctly, they only had 1 SA (2L) and 1 summer law clerk (1L).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:04 am

DC office movement?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:30 pm

Hoping for something this week...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply