Practicing Lawyers' Opinions Please - Rank in terms of badness Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which is WORST reason for no-offer, i.e. recommend NOT hiring the candidate -(Pls see bold below)

The firm wasn't the right "fit"
36%
Poor work product
27%
ATL-worthy story of 1 very bad night partying WAY too hard at firm event
36%

Total votes: 44

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Re: Practicing Lawyers' Opinions Please - Rank in terms of badness

Post by ballouttacontrol » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:32 pm

Last edited by ballouttacontrol on Wed May 24, 2017 12:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:33 pm

ALL OF THAT OUT OF THE WAY....

Anonymous User wrote:Work product worst to tell people
Partying 2nd
Fit 1st

Fit can be portrayed multiple ways - practice groups, location, future of firm, etc.

Partying is bad but maybe you spin it as you've learned your lesson

Work product is telling firms that you suck at your job
Thank you for this. This basically mimics exactly what my thoughts were originally. I'm thinking the poll is being blown up by O/1Ls.

smaug

Diamond

Post by smaug » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:34 pm

Why not just ball your way to another 200k+ offer?

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:54 pm

smaug wrote:Why not just ball your way to another 200k+ offer?
Doing my best. Kinda like rolling a 3-sided die between that, /self, and going solo

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:18 am

Definitely don't even consider the /self option. It's just a job. There will be more jobs. You got s great one to start and can do it again. If you're religious you obviously don't want the outcome that goes along with it, and f you're an atheist it's not like endless nothingness is more appealing than what you've currently got. Good luck out there, man.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:34 am

At the risk of being banned from posting ITT...
First Offense wrote: Calling in for response to the above-posted anon.

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:37 pm

lymenheimer wrote:At the risk of being banned from posting ITT...
First Offense wrote: Calling in for response to the above-posted anon.
not 100% what that referring to, but im still on this earth. roughly one last good-seeming lead left outstanding.

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:24 pm

ballouttacontrol wrote:And if you say that because of my now-deleted $$$ comment...FYI, there are a LOT more firms than Desmarais that start at $200k+.
Which ones?

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:18 pm

ballouttacontrol wrote:ALL OF THAT OUT OF THE WAY....

Anonymous User wrote:Work product worst to tell people
Partying 2nd
Fit 1st

Fit can be portrayed multiple ways - practice groups, location, future of firm, etc.

Partying is bad but maybe you spin it as you've learned your lesson

Work product is telling firms that you suck at your job
Thank you for this. This basically mimics exactly what my thoughts were originally. I'm thinking the poll is being blown up by O/1Ls.
I'm not so sure. I agree with what someone above said - work product can be remedied, or maybe you got stuck doing a hard project for a dick partner, but there's no excuse for the partying. It shows you have no professional judgment or just don't take the job seriously, and either way that's one of the few things that are unforgivable in an otherwise malleable 2L. That said, I wouldn't cite work product either - stick with fit, or else, preferably, repeat whatever lie the firm probably told you about hiring needs.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:54 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote: I'm not so sure. I agree with what someone above said - work product can be remedied, or maybe you got stuck doing a hard project for a dick partner, but there's no excuse for the partying. It shows you have no professional judgment or just don't take the job seriously, and either way that's one of the few things that are unforgivable in an otherwise malleable 2L. That said, I wouldn't cite work product either - stick with fit, or else, preferably, repeat whatever lie the firm probably told you about hiring needs.
thank you for the input. I see where you're coming from.
Last edited by ballouttacontrol on Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:54 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:
ballouttacontrol wrote:And if you say that because of my now-deleted $$$ comment...FYI, there are a LOT more firms than Desmarais that start at $200k+.
Which ones?
Plenty of IP boutiques, for one

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:58 pm

ballouttacontrol wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:
Which ones?
Name three.

smaug

Diamond

Post by smaug » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:00 pm

ballouttacontrol wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:
Which ones?
for example?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:04 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:I'm not so sure. I agree with what someone above said - work product can be remedied, or maybe you got stuck doing a hard project for a dick partner, but there's no excuse for the partying. It shows you have no professional judgment or just don't take the job seriously, and either way that's one of the few things that are unforgivable in an otherwise malleable 2L. That said, I wouldn't cite work product either - stick with fit, or else, preferably, repeat whatever lie the firm probably told you about hiring needs.
Yeah, fit is clearly the least damaging of the explanations, so the poll is kind of fucked in that respect. (Then again, anonymous poll.)

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:12 pm

do you have anything better to do than continually troll me every time I log onto this website?
edit, sry @ the guy with pink elephant avatar

http://www.condoroccia.com/
http://www.dovellaw.com/
Desmarais as mentioned

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:13 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:I'm not so sure. I agree with what someone above said - work product can be remedied, or maybe you got stuck doing a hard project for a dick partner, but there's no excuse for the partying. It shows you have no professional judgment or just don't take the job seriously, and either way that's one of the few things that are unforgivable in an otherwise malleable 2L. That said, I wouldn't cite work product either - stick with fit, or else, preferably, repeat whatever lie the firm probably told you about hiring needs.
Yeah, fit is clearly the least damaging of the explanations, so the poll is kind of fucked in that respect. (Then again, anonymous poll.)
Thanks for the input too

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:15 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Yikes. I just looked at the poll results. A third of the voters actually chose "fit" as the WORST reason for a no-offer. Absurd.

Everyone knows that "fit" is basically a euphemism for something else. But the point is that your interviewing firm can't know what that "something else" is--it could be work product, it could be personality, it could be that the summer firm had a down year financially. The ambiguity works in the applicant's favor. If you tell the interviewing firm something specific ("I have poor writing skills," "I have a drinking problem," etc.), then they'll have a specific reason to ding you. Of course that's worse. C'mon.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:24 pm

rpupkin wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Yikes. I just looked at the poll results. A third of the voters actually chose "fit" as the WORST reason for a no-offer. Absurd.

Everyone knows that "fit" is basically a euphemism for something else. But the point is that your interviewing firm can't know what that "something else" is--it could be work product, it could be personality, it could be that the summer firm had a down year financially. The ambiguity works in the applicant's favor. If you tell the interviewing firm something specific ("I have poor writing skills," "I have a drinking problem," etc.), then they'll have a specific reason to ding you. Of course that's worse. C'mon.
Makes sense. I guess my only reason for doubts (other than my own lack of success so far) is that 'fit' could also be interpreted to be the worst thing ever. The one reason I've heard multiple different IP firms talk shit about no-offered people was when they were technically incompetent, and if that's un-overcomeable, I wouldn't want people to think that about me, as opposed to another reason that is hard but not impossible to overcome.

Sounds like there is a consensus among the majority of posters - why I posted the Q here - so thanks to all

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:29 pm

ballouttacontrol wrote:
rpupkin wrote: Yikes. I just looked at the poll results. A third of the voters actually chose "fit" as the WORST reason for a no-offer. Absurd.

Makes sense. I guess my only reason for doubts (other than my own lack of success so far) is that 'fit' could also be interpreted to be the worst thing ever. The one reason I've heard multiple different IP firms talk shit about no-offered people was when they were technically incompetent, and if that's un-overcomeable, I wouldn't want people to think that about me, as opposed to another reason that is hard but not impossible to overcome.
You're not wrong. I mean, a no-offer is a serious problem. Any sentence that begins with "I was no-offered because . . ." is going to have downside risk. It's not like getting no-offered for "fit" is a positive. But, yeah, I think it's the least bad option you have.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”