Cleary DC vs. Kirkland DC Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Cleary DC vs. Kirkland DC

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:01 pm

Narrowed down to 2 offers to choose from. I'm interested in litigation generally - beyond that, no preference right now. Hoping to exit to AUSA eventually or exit to a mid-sized market with strong ties.

My understanding is Cleary DC lit is heavy antitrust. Would this negatively impact AUSA options?

The Kirkland DC office is reverse-leveraged. Looks like 90-some partners and 60-some associates. With the two-tiered partnership, not sure how negative that may be.

Any other comments on these firms (DC offices in particular) are very welcome.

Note: I do not have an Akin DC offer but have completed a CB there; to the extent this would change any answers, feel free to share.

Anonymous User

Re: Cleary DC vs. Kirkland DC

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:53 am

similar choice for me, don't have insight but curious

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:41 am

OP here, any comments are appreciated.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:21 am

Speaking from some knowledge of both offices: both Kirkland and Cleary have pretty substantial presences in DC and are well-respected. You'll be fine at either. But both have downsides: Cleary is very antitrust-focused in DC, this is true. Kirkland has an aggressive free-market system that works well for some people and doesn't for others. But I'm sure you can do general litigation at Cleary DC, and in any event, I'm not sure that antitrust litigation is a terrible thing to do before trying for AUSA. It's not like you're doing M&A.

Kirkland's "leverage" is misleading because some of those partners are just senior associates. It's not a two-tier partnership, really, in any formal sense. A sixth-year associate is a "partner" but is not a partner in any meaningful sense of the world. I don't think the demographics at Kirkland are any different than they are at other DC firms.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”