Exit Options: Restructuring vs. Finance Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Exit Options: Restructuring vs. Finance

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:55 pm

Currently deciding between restructuring at one of KE/WG and banking and finance at one of LW/MB/SA. I'm specifically interested in exit options out of these firms/practice areas. The work in restructuring seems more appealing to me and I'd be very interested in lateraling into a vulture fund/bank somewhere down the line, but I'm not sure how realistic that kind of switch is or what I'd do if it doesn't pan out (smaller restructuring firm? Leave law entirely?). Would banking and finance be the safer choice?

Anonymous User

Re: Exit Options: Restructuring vs. Finance

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:50 pm

Bump.. Anyone have any experience with restructuring exit options?

Anonymous User

Re: Exit Options: Restructuring vs. Finance

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:05 am

I summered at KE restructuring and spent some time with the NY group as well. I don't know which office you're considering but it seems like exit options from the NY office weren't a problem. A lot of them went to other law firms or financial advisory firms/vulture funds. In the Chicago office i met some few former KE lawyers who were working at Lazard but it seemed like the Chicago market for ex-restructuring lawyers wasn't as big. But i think you'll have trouble finding a lot of answers here because there just aren't a lot of restructuring lawyers like there are general corporate lawyers. It did seem like geographic flexibility wasn't a problem since almost every major firm has a bankruptcy group of some kind. But the restructuring market is concentrated in a small group of firms right now so you risk not having a lot of work once you leave that select group. The group did mention that as a restructuring lawyer you become familiar with a lot of different areas of law (since you're litigating and dealing with transactions regarding an entire company's capital structure) so that you could make the argument that you're a true generalist when applying for in-house position. I'm not sure how true that is though

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”