Is AIII-->NYC Biglaw limited to E/SDNY? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is AIII-->NYC Biglaw limited to E/SDNY?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:16 pm

Parallel question to the other question about applying as a rising 3L, posted here because it's with an eye toward & an emphasis on the -->NYC Biglaw part. I.e., getting back onto NYC Biglaw firms' radar.

For example, does WDNY/NDNY/NJ/EDPA not cut it?

VulcanVulcanVulcan

Bronze

Re: Is AIII-->NYC Biglaw limited to E/SDNY?

Post by VulcanVulcanVulcan » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Parallel question to the other question about applying as a rising 3L, posted here because it's with an eye toward & an emphasis on the -->NYC Biglaw part. I.e., getting back onto NYC Biglaw firms' radar.

For example, does WDNY/NDNY/NJ/EDPA not cut it?
Of course it cuts it. If you look at firm bios even of the V10 firms, you will find that many associates and partners have clerked in all sorts of random places. To the extent that many of them have clerked in SDNY/EDNY, that's because of selection bias, i.e., New York clerks are more likely to want to stay in NY relative to say, California clerks. SDNY/EDNY look good, but mostly because they are prestigious districts, not because they're based in New York.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:44 pm

Just to clarify, I probably wouldn't be in a situation to RETURN to the same firm post-clerkship that had offered me as a 2L. I'd be trying to move from one type or "tier" of firm to another, or from non-biglaw to begin with.

If that's the goal, is it E/SDNY or not at all?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:17 am

I went to a second tier school. Did my summer at a v50 in a secondary market. While I was clerking for a fed coa I got interviews at v20s in nyc. I had never been to nyc before and I hadn't taken the ny bar. No offers, but I mean I didn't have any fucking story about why nyc. I told them I'd take the ny bar if they gave me an offer but I didn't want to waste my time if an offer wasn't forthcoming. I asked touristy shit in my interviews. Basically I couldn't have been a worse candidate.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”