Working as a Summer Associate When Not in Law School Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Endless Summer

New

Working as a Summer Associate When Not in Law School

Post by Endless Summer » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:51 pm

I have a question about summering at a law firm. Before I explain my circumstances and ask my question, I want to make something clear: I know that what I'm about to suggest is illegal. I am not looking for lectures on morality, right-and-wrong, or legal ethics. I just want to know if I'm overlooking any risks with my strategy.

Three years ago, I completed one year at a T20 law school. My grades were fine, but I dropped out for various personal reasons. Since dropping out, I've worked in temporary jobs. I've toyed with the idea of returning to law school, but I've decided that I do not want to be a lawyer. All the possible career paths in the law (public interest, big law, mid law, government) do not appeal to me.

There is, however, one phase of legal employment that I find appealing: working as a summer associate at a big law firm. If you work for 12 weeks, you get $36K. That's more than I make now when working 40 weeks a year. Given my current lifestyle, I can easily live off that income.

I have friends from law school who summered at big firms. Invariably, their experiences were awesome. It's mostly partying. I'm confident that I can easily do whatever actual work I'm assigned.

The problem, of course, is that I am not in law school. So how can I possibly land a SA spot? I have a plan. I am going to fake a first-year transcript from a T14 law school. (Just assume, for the sake of this question, that I have access to the technology that will allow me to do this.) I will give myself good grades—I'm thinking around top 15%. (I fear that top-of-the-class grades would be suspicious.) I will then mass mail big law firms and offices that do not come to my school's OCI. I will then, hopefully, get callbacks and offers.

I will then work at the firm over the following summer. At the end of the summer, I will decline the firm's offer for one reason or another (e.g., fictional clerkship, fictional fiancee in a city where the firm doesn't have an office, whatever). I'll then repeat the process the following cycle, creating a new first-year transcript (perhaps from a different T14—see below), and then mailing it to firms that I had not contacted the previous cycle.

I'm 28 now. I figure I can continue this cycle for at least six or seven years. Here are some concerns I have:

1. There will likely be other SAs at the firm who went to my 1L "law school." For that reason, I'm thinking of picking a big law school. So, for example, GULC would be better than Cornell. That way, it will be more plausible that the other summers from "my school" wouldn't have met me. Do you think that could work?

2. I'm assuming that firms don't do background checks on summer associates. Is that right? I'm sure they do checks when you're hired as an actual attorney but, as explained above, I never intend to get that far.

3. I won't have an email address from a law school. I intend to use my gmail address for all communication. Do you think that will raise any red flags?

4. Do firms actually check references? I'm thinking of picking a random professor (someone who teaches 1L classes) from my T14 law school as a reference, because I'm assuming that the firm would want to see a law-school-related reference on the list. This won't work, of course, if firms actually bother to contact references for summer associates.

Can you think of anything I'm overlooking? What else could result in me getting caught?

Anonymous User

Re: Working as a Summer Associate When Not in Law School

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:54 pm

One of my SA offers required a background check

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:57 pm

Is this even illegal? What, wire/mail fraud?

OutoftheWoods

Bronze

Post by OutoftheWoods » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:03 pm

Man, this is one huge elaborate flame. Don't you have better things to do...

inchipwetrust

New

Post by inchipwetrust » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:06 pm

you go glenn co co

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:06 pm

p good flame

biggest prob is you'd eventually get caught and make above the law
would come up every time someone searches for you on google, not such a great career move

Endless Summer

New

Post by Endless Summer » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:08 pm

It's not a flame; I've been thinking about doing this for a couple of years. If you think it's made up, feel free to ignore.

As for whether it's illegal, I just assume that submitting a fake transcript to an employer is at least a violation of a state's employment laws. I don't know if it violates any federal laws like wire fraud.

OutoftheWoods

Bronze

Post by OutoftheWoods » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:08 pm

actually ending up on abovethelaw is probably a better career move for some law students

MCFC

Platinum

Post by MCFC » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:13 pm

DELG wrote:Is this even illegal? What, wire/mail fraud?
Everything is wire fraud, so I would guess so.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:23 pm

Dude is probably trying to write a book/movie with this as the plot line and trying to fill in all of the holes. Lame

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:26 pm

If it worked and someone in recruiting at a firm you summered at switches firms then you will quite possibly be very fucked when you try to summer with her new firm. I wouldn't try to do this six or seven times like you said.

baal hadad

Gold

Post by baal hadad » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:30 pm

Cool

Endless Summer

New

Post by Endless Summer » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:30 pm

lymenheimer wrote:Dude is probably trying to write a book/movie with this as the plot line and trying to fill in all of the holes. Lame
You got me, lymenheimer. I've decided to crowd source the job of writing a summer-associate version of the show Suits. I'll be sure to give you a cut of the royalties. :roll:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:31 pm

I think you've been watching too much Suits

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t

Bronze

Post by n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:32 pm

I was asked to fill out some sheet giving permission to the firm to request my school records at any time. I imagine that they will actually do this sometime before you start. Even if they do it while you are summering--or, in the best case scenario, after you summer--I doubt you want to face legal action from a large firm with resources.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:33 pm

If they found out they'd probably sue you for all the costs of recruiting you. This is a bad idea. Heck, even Leonardo passed the Louisiana bar in Catch Me if You Can.

baal hadad

Gold

Post by baal hadad » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If they found out they'd probably sue you for all the costs of recruiting you. This is a bad idea. Heck, even Leonardo passed the Louisiana bar in Catch Me if You Can.
Lol they're not gonna sue him

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:41 pm

Schools are in constant contact with career services so thats one huge risk. I'm not saying career services is aware of 100% of the offers but I do know they compile lists and statistics, etc. and they often know when people have offers (and I don't think everyone reports to career services with every offer they have)

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:42 pm

Also I think the firm I worked for conducts a background check for summers bc I have one of those identity theft services that alerts you when people run a background check on you and I got an email alert a few mos ago

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:43 pm

I would assume it depends on the firm whether they do background checks. The firm I received an offer from does background checks.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:46 pm

Sorry, pal, the TLS on-topics are not a resource for you to get a job under false pretenses.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Legal Employment”