Should I E-mail my Interviewers? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Should I E-mail my Interviewers?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:22 pm

TLDR: 1.5 weeks into 1-2 week CB notification period. Last chance at BL. Should I e-mail partners and grovel for a job?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

chuckbass

Platinum

Re: Should I E-mail my Interviewers?

Post by chuckbass » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:30 pm

So you've already sent thank you emails, and are still thinking of sending another email? No.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:32 pm

OP here. Yes. I sent thank you e-mails about 2 weeks ago, but none that expressed what I would write in these e-mails.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:33 pm

It likely isn't going to help your chances. But if you'll regret it forever if you don't send the email, go ahead and send it.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:36 pm

It sounds like this email is a bit much tbh

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:36 pm

OP here. If it "likely" not helping means there's a 0-5% chance it could help, and a smaller chance yet of it hurting, I guess I might as well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:37 pm

Chuckbass: Do you really think expressing that it's my top choice, I liked them all and would give it my all could possibly make them think less of me as a candidate? I have a hard time seeing how... but then I've never been a hiring partner.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:41 pm

OP here. Thanks for the responses Chuck and Race. So, before I delete this, it seems I have one reserved yay and one nay. I guess there isn't a very clear answer, since I'm not getting too many emphatic responses. If anyone has any last minute opinions before I delete, please jump in.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:55 pm

I'm only a 2L so I don't really know what to say. I have the urge to do the same thing but I don't want to risk irritating a partner and having it blow up in my face. My assumption is that it wouldn't make a difference...if they're going to offer me, they'll offer me. If they're not going to, they won't. At this point, it's a numbers game. I'll get an offer if enough people ahead of me don't take theirs.

But I could be dead wrong. It might help you. I just don't know.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:58 pm

Based on my experience, there is a more likely chance than not that this will not change your situation or give you the outcome you're looking for. I had a CB with my top choice firm about 3 weeks ago. The firm said that they'd be in touch within 2 weeks. After 2 weeks passed, I did exactly what you're thinking of doing now (emailed the firm and let them know they are top choice and I'd accept the offer, etc...). Result = radio silence.

I think the firm will do what they will do, irrespective of what you, me or the other people on these "waitlists" do or don't do. It's rough, and I'm sorry you're stuck in a similar situation...good luck, whatever you choose to do.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:12 pm

OP here. Sorry to hear, that happened to me with another firm where I was ultimately rejected two weeks after the supposed notification time. In this case, the notification time hasn't quite lapsed, it would be before this coming Friday. My aim would be to prevent being put on the waitlist in the first place in the event I were just on the cusp (a very unlikely circumstance, I know). 99% of the time I think what you said about it having no effect is correct. Just not sure if there exists that 1% circumstance that would justify me trying.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:28 pm

OP, I mean, then I guess you have nothing to lose. Based on all of your responses above, it looks pretty clear that you have already made up your mind about reaching out to them. It looks to me that you're looking for more people to give you the "okay" to pull the trigger...

For what it's worth-I think that if you've already experienced being placed on the WL and you got dinged on the previous occasion, and you feel like this is going in the same direction, then you can try something that you didn't try the first time.

Obviously every choice has its own repercussions, but I feel like it would ultimately come down to whether you would kick yourself later on if you did not reach out to the firm and you were placed on the WL like before and ultimately rejected. It's all about whether you're more willing to deal with a possible negative consequence of your action versus inaction.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:36 pm

OP here. I really appreciate the analysis. I would say I haven't made up my mind, and may in fact not send the e-mails. I was advocating for the position I was leaning towards (sending the e-mails) to get a feel for the best arguments against my position, which is perhaps bound to give off the impression I'm not being open. You're right, I have to figure out whether I prefer the uncertainty of not knowing whether my action led to a ding versus whether my inaction led to a ding. And, on top of that, whether there is an appreciable enough chance that e-mailing would help versus the risk of it leading to a ding. Unfortunately, probably not a question that's answerable with any accuracy. I really appreciate everyone for humoring me, and sorry if my responses rubbed anyone the wrong way.

Thought process = if I'm right at the cusp of being rejected versus waitlisted, maybe this could get me waitlisted. AND, if I'm right at the cusp of being waitslisted versus offered, perhaps this could get me offered, particularly if noone else is sending similar e-mails. However, if it's not written perfectly or a partner has something against this kind of groveling, could it get me taken of the waitlist and dinged? If there's no chance of that, why not send it? This is what I'm wrestling with, as I'm sure you understand.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:34 am

There's a general consensus that even thank you emails pose a substantial risk, so a grovel email poses just as much risk. My career services even advises against sending thank you emails unless you have a preexisting personal connection to the interviewer. I don't necessarily agree with that (I sent thank yous to two firms, which both led to good outcomes), but the fact that they tell our entire class the same thing suggests they've seen enough damage or gotten enough attorney feedback to warrant the warning.

I'm not saying don't do it under any circumstances, but go in with the awareness that while it may help, it may also hurt, and more than likely it won't do anything at all. Good luck, OP.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:47 pm

I'm not OP but I am in a similar situation. Screener with someone on hiring committee, then I had CB. Have not heard back yet (1 week). Should I email the screener interviewer and say I enjoyed meeting XYZ, top choice, etc.?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:58 pm

I didn't send a single follow up email / thank you email and received 4 offers, and this was as a student with ok grades at a T-20 - I think I just interviewed well. I honestly don't think they do anything at all. By the time you've sent them, your review sheet is already filled out and the associate/partner is back at work. I don't think they're going to run and change your 3/5 to a 4/5 or however they review you during the interview.

I'd put more time into massmailing and seeing whether you can improve your interview technique than following up on a CB.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:14 pm

I've never seen an attorney say that thank you emails are a good idea. I have seen multiple attorneys say they are a bad idea.

The only people I have seen advocating for thank you emails are CSO (clueless) and TLSers (echoing into each other's chambers).

If you want to do it then go for it. YOLO, no regrets, etc.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”