Weil NY v. Gibson NY Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which would you choose?

Weil
22%
Gibson
78%

Total votes: 18

Anonymous User

Weil NY v. Gibson NY

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:29 am

Deciding between these two. I know i want lit, but which kind specifically I don't know, so keeping my options open would be nice. I also do care about culture. I liked the people I met at both...they all seemed friendly and generally very nice. Unfortunately travel constraints have kept me from doing second looks (requires flying). So, assuming I can't do second looks, does anyone know what the general "reputation" is, to the extent that there is one, for each of these firms?

Thanks!

Nekrowizard

Bronze

Re: Weil NY v. Gibson NY

Post by Nekrowizard » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:40 am

Weil is Band 2 on Chambers, and Gibson is 1. Unless you have some compelling reason for Weil, I'd just go with Gibson.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:14 pm

Thanks! I did note that, but it seems some TLSers say it's stupid to just look at Chambers band rankings, so I was wary about putting too much weight on that. Any reason in this case it's worth taking the Band 1 v. Band 2 distinction more seriously? Also have heard some mixed things about Weil's culture...can anyone offer any insight on that, or anything about Gibson?

Nekrowizard

Bronze

Post by Nekrowizard » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks! I did note that, but it seems some TLSers say it's stupid to just look at Chambers band rankings, so I was wary about putting too much weight on that. Any reason in this case it's worth taking the Band 1 v. Band 2 distinction more seriously?
I do think it's dumb sometimes (Boies on 2, for example). If you don't have any other preference, however, you might as well go with whichever one is generally seen as "better" if you don't want to do second looks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:29 pm

So perhaps this is a really stupid question, but which is generally perceived as "better"?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nekrowizard

Bronze

Post by Nekrowizard » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:32 pm

Gibson is generally seen as better for lit (anonymous TLS poll confirms).

Nekrowizard

Bronze

Post by Nekrowizard » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:33 pm

Accidental anon above.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:32 pm

great, very helpful, thanks! i can't find much on TLS about the culture/personality types at these firms (especially about gibson's ny office). i know it's impossible to generalize and that a lot of it may simply depend on which partners/practice group i end up with, but just wondering if there's anything that people might be able to share.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:09 pm

Gibson is the clear choice here, better culture, prestige, and work.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:15 pm

Nekrowizard wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thanks! I did note that, but it seems some TLSers say it's stupid to just look at Chambers band rankings, so I was wary about putting too much weight on that. Any reason in this case it's worth taking the Band 1 v. Band 2 distinction more seriously?
I do think it's dumb sometimes (Boies on 2, for example). If you don't have any other preference, however, you might as well go with whichever one is generally seen as "better" if you don't want to do second looks.
I think chambers is probably the most reliable listing of firm tiers/groupings available to law students. It's not gospel and there are erroneous placements of firms into bands, but its pretty representative.

Gibson is not a new york firm, but I still think its nationwide presence justifies choosing it here over Weil, given your interests.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:47 pm

I previously made the choice between Gibson and Weil for litigation, did second looks. and chose Weil. There are some major differences. What kind of worker are you? Are you someone who will thrive in a free market system?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”